Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:43 am

Kintor wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote: Although the lack of a MML announcement as of yet is a real head scratcher. It would be an easy port, cost Capcom virtually nothing, and would be a perfect fit on the Switch. The only semi-plausible explanation I can come up with is that those games are already going to see a release on the Switch VC, and Capcom can make a lot more money selling them for 5 bucks a pop than as a 20 dollar compilation. Then again, the game is on the 3DS and that has all those games on VC too, so I don't know. But, it definitely doesn't have anything to do with Capcom not willing to support the Switch, because that wouldn't make any sense either when porting that game digitally is basically free money regardless of the install base size.

It's quite obvious why Capcom is no longer willing to support Nintendo, the userbase of the Switch is tiny and the hardware itself isn't capable of properly supporting digital content. Nintendo fans tend to downplay the Switch's lack of memory but it's a serious problem that pushes most gamers away from Nintendo's hardware, when buying a Switch also means spending extra money on a SD card to compensate of the Switch's severe lack of memory. Which is a problem further compounded by Nintendo's less then rudimentary approach to digital content, with most of the Switch's planned network features have been delayed until 2018. This simply isn't acceptable in the 21st century and it's a compelling reason why Capcom is no longer release games on Nintendo platforms, it's just not worth the effort.

WTF are you talking about they don't support Nintendo platforms? Capcom has greatly supported the 3DS throughout its life. They also just released an overpriced version of Street Fighter 2 on the Switch, though it is the definitive version. Now you've gone from exaggerating the truth to just flat out lying.

You do realize that Capcom advised Nintendo on the Switch? Nintendo bent to their every desire, including giving it 4 GB of RAM so it could support the Resident Evil 7 engine. I'd say Nintendo and Capcom are doing just fine.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Kintor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:11 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote: WTF are you talking about they don't support Nintendo platforms? Capcom has greatly supported the 3DS throughout its life. They also just released an overpriced version of Street Fighter 2 on the Switch, though it is the definitive version. Now you've gone from exaggerating the truth to just flat out lying.

You do realize that Capcom advised Nintendo on the Switch? Nintendo bent to their every desire, including giving it 4 GB of RAM so it could support the Resident Evil 7 engine. I'd say Nintendo and Capcom are doing just fine.

Times change, Capcom may have supported Nintendo with the 3DS in the past but their recent actions suggest a shift in this relationship. The loss of the Disney and Mega Man retro compilations can be hand waved away as no great loss for Nintendo, despite the fact that these compilations are made of mostly old NES and SNES games. Yet the absence of Monster Hunter XX, in favour of the non-Nintendo platform Monster Hunter World, sets a precedent for Capcom’s attitude towards Nintendo from here on out. It’s a bad public image for Nintendo in this industry, which Nintendo is already desperate for more third-party support.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Raithos » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Its like you're living in a different dimension than the rest of us.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Too advanced, in a world where smartphones don't suck to play games.

OT>
phpBB [video]

Like if I needed more hype, they start talking about Mario Odyssey at 15:36

The only thing I'm afraid it's that maybe it will be too short (also the graphics seem a lot less poliished than the stuff they showed like rabbids or yoshi, and even MK8).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:38 pm

Well, I got arms from the japanese estore.

Pretty boring actually.

I had a pretty good time with the beta, maybe it was the anticipation of waiting matches, or those little rivalries that get generated on a closed lobby.

But back to back fights... It's pretty meh. I defeated the grand prix once, had a couple of extra fights and I just closed it.

Nothing is exactly "bad" just everything is kinda mediocre.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:20 pm

I think it looks pretty fun, but I can see it having very limited appeal and then finding myself getting bored with it rather quickly. I'm curious to see if it gains any competitive scene (or interesting depth through such a scene). Maybe the meta game will be cool. As a couch fighter though, I don't know how long it will hold people's attention. Still though, it does look fun.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:30 pm

I was playing at level 1

Put it at level 4 and got my ass handed at the second fight, and the shit got really cool and very fun. Having to punches midair is the only way you can hit anybody, it requires some practice.

I don't think it'll win any competitive scene. There are just too many combinations of arms/characters, the motion controls are pretty good, but can register bullshit and have a little lag, and apparently the pro controller isn't very good at curbing punches.

It's an 8 game (mostly because it's unique). But I'm digging it again, like I did on the beta, I'll try to go for level 3.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo Switch

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:11 am

shredingskin wrote:Well, I got arms from the japanese estore.

Pretty boring actually.

I had a pretty good time with the beta, maybe it was the anticipation of waiting matches, or those little rivalries that get generated on a closed lobby.

But back to back fights... It's pretty meh. I defeated the grand prix once, had a couple of extra fights and I just closed it.

Nothing is exactly "bad" just everything is kinda mediocre.

See, that's my thing with multiplayer games. If I don't have anyone to do local multiplayer with, then I need a great online service and features to enjoy the game. Nintendo just doesn't have that right now. That's why I don't know if I can justify dropping 60 bucks on this or Splatoon.

Mario Kart is an exception, because it's just awesome.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:49 am

The online works pretty damn well actually, 0 lag.

There are various modes 1vs1 2vs2 3 deathmatch (it's kinda cheap), 3 vs boss (it's pretty fun because it's almost a damage sponge and you have to beat him before the time runs out, also if you're on the path of your groups punching you'll take damage), hoops (I just won everything, don't know if people know how to play it), vball (pretty meh, kinda funky/salty), and skillshot (it also kinda sucks/is boring).

Then you have ranked matches (I didn;t play any).

But the lobby is pretty neat, you can see how everyone is doing, their health and the time remaining. You can "comunicate" with others by doing 2 stupid faces, and you can "train" while waiting. (they're adding spectator mode this month, but I don't know if it'll apply to the lobby).

It's not amazing, but for someone like me that isn't too much into online, it's pretty neato (being lag free is pretty amazing).

I've beaten the 4th level that is for getting acccess to ranked matches and I sweated the last boss quite a bit. But there's not much anything else here. The minigames can be sporadically fun, the battles certainly are, and after beating the "grand prix" you have to play skillshot game to add more arms to each character (so 30x10 or something like that), and the arms are just the same that other characters already start with, so there's not really anything very compelling about it.

But to be honest, I had a ton of fun, and quite a workout, at least to activate the metabolism a little in slow days or a good heating before lifting.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 am

Yeah, it seems to lack content to me. But, just wait on the lag. If MK8 is any indication, once people start playing the game you'll get drops every other match.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:20 am

When I mean "the battles certainly are" I mean they're fun, not sporadically fun, bad writing, shitty sudaca.

I really hope that the online stays this way, and nintendo can sort their shit out, but who the fuck knows.

Also another thing to add is that the arms you collect appear randomly, so it's even more of a chore (and you need to gather points), but also by the same mechanic you can upgrade your already gotten arms, and that seems like an important deal (don;t know if they'll work on online matches, maybe on party mode, who knows).

Another thing to add is that the grandprix is kinda of a bummer in a sense that the introductions and story are stupid and just a waste of time between matches, that load crazy fast,
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:49 am

Raithos wrote: Its like you're living in a different dimension than the rest of us.

The reality of the situation is that Nintendo is increasingly isolating themselves from the rest of the industry. The world moves forward but Nintendo misses out on every major third-party game being release. It's a share conversation amongst gamers that completely excludes Nintendo. The Switch is just Nintendo's latest step towards irrelevancy, because of the weak hardware and severe lack of third-party support.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:54 am

Nintendo just sold 7 million 3DSes in the last 4 months. They just recently released one of the highest rated and talked about games of all-time. Totally irrelevant.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:20 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote: Nintendo just sold 7 million 3DSes in the last 4 months. They just recently released one of the highest rated and talked about games of all-time. Totally irrelevant.

I'm talking about third-party support, or the lack thereof in the case of Nintendo. Healthy third-party support, included commonly shared multiplatform games, helps to define the industry as whole. Think of them as touchstone games, like GTA V and Final Fantasy XV, part of the overall conversation amongst gamers and developers. Yet Nintendo is not part of that conversation, Nintendo's consoles don't get GTA or the Final Fantasy anymore, which only leaves Nintendo isolated and indeed alienated. The industry moves forward with the flow of third-party games but Nintendo no longer has any influence.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Everytime I start playing ARMS again is almost like playing the game for the first time skill-wise.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming