Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby Sonikku » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:38 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
Sonikku wrote:The weapon breaking is kind of annoying, but the only thing that really, truly grinds my gears is the rain. Or rather, the FREQUENCY of it. It must rain in Hyrule every fucking day. Sometimes it feels like it rains more often than it doesn't. And you can't climb at all when it rains so what do you do? Make a fire to pass the time? Too bad, it's raining. Sometimes I'm able to find a little alcove when it pours but usually I can't. If rain happened about as often as the blood moon I would be ecstatic.

You can climb when it's raining. You just have to adapt. That's the name of the game.

Well of course you "can" climb. But you slip downwards. If there is a way to adapt to this mechanic and keep climbing, by all means share.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Sonikku wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:
Sonikku wrote:The weapon breaking is kind of annoying, but the only thing that really, truly grinds my gears is the rain. Or rather, the FREQUENCY of it. It must rain in Hyrule every fucking day. Sometimes it feels like it rains more often than it doesn't. And you can't climb at all when it rains so what do you do? Make a fire to pass the time? Too bad, it's raining. Sometimes I'm able to find a little alcove when it pours but usually I can't. If rain happened about as often as the blood moon I would be ecstatic.

You can climb when it's raining. You just have to adapt. That's the name of the game.

Well of course you "can" climb. But you slip downwards. If there is a way to adapt to this mechanic and keep climbing, by all means share.

Take 4-5 climbs and then leap. You'll slip a little but make progress. Amazing that so many people haven't figured this out.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Sonikku » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:18 pm

I guess we're just idiots.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:55 pm

I find it funny that the Switch thread it's the Zelda thread (and kinda worrying too).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Well I'm the only one with a Switch lol its not like I can talk about it with myself :)

Nothing to worry about trust me, the Switch is awesome and does exactly what its meant to do. I told Axm I would write up my impressions of it but I've been lazy af lately. I might do that if I can get some free time tomorrow at work. I think when more people get it then we will see an actual discussion on the hardware.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:17 am

I also have a switch.

As hard it's ok (kinda difficult to compare when your cellphone costs almost the double).

The screen looks quite ok, the battery it's fine (I did use it quite a lot on public places and never ran out of juice), and quite a bit on airplanes, but those had power outlets.

The size is portable enough to carry around but not portable enough to bring it around (I did, but I do have a leather jacket that has a side pocket that I could bring a machine gun).

Everything feels snappy but barebones, as for now it's a Zelda machine (though the snipperclips demo was fun with 2 players). You can't listen to music or watch movies (quite a shame) as for now.

The console feels great on the hands (at least mine), everything felt responsive, and when you manage to acomodate the joycons that feel TINY when you first grab them, feel quite confortable in your hands (the shit they want you to stick between those sucks balls, and it's actually more confortable to just play with the switch), never felt cramped or anything. The pro controller it's good (miss the 360 triggers) and it also works on PC (bluetooth, and you'll need to map buttons {Xinput} IIRC).

Sadly as hardware I would still say, it's a zelda machine. A little too big, a little bit underpowered (don;t really know specs, but zelda does chug when you're on top of trees and transparency kicks in). If they manage to make Mario the same shit as zelda, I'll be impressed (but they did the same with wii, and didn't get enough steam).

But I'm one of the few people that will defend the wiimote as one of the best controllers of all time, and it seems they got most of the stuff right (unlike dual shock 4, that big tactile button just sucks balls, and I just hate all this trend of photo/share buttons that nintendo jumped on).

As far as people go, the vita was almost a perfect handheld but lacked games/variety, so that domain it's a little hard (but I guess nintendo knows their deal).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:43 am

Oh for real? I thought you were playing on Wii U my bad.

Yeah I find it to be a pretty good piece of tech. Its not perfect but it has a ton of potential. The screen is great with no ghosting and its well calibrated. I find the battery to be pretty good too. I get about 3 hours (a little more if its not Zelda I'm playing) which to me is decent for what the console can do.

I'm constantly amazed at how the Switch lives up to what its supposed to do. Its a smooth transition from playing on the TV to undocking it and playing on the Go. Absolutely not a gimmick. I would play at night, pause and put it into sleep mode. Wake up and throw it in a case and into my backpack then head to work. By the time lunch rolls around turn it on and pick back up right where I left off. It would only use 1-2% over 5 hours in sleep mode.

Its not as portable as a 3DS that fits in your pocket, but even inside the Hori case it doesn't take up much room in my backpack. I stick the Joy-Con grip in a side pocket as well in case I feel like propping the switch up on its kickstand instead of playing in handheld mode. I bought Metal Slug off the eShop. My friend and I have been playing coop on lunch now. Put the kickstand up, hand over a Joy-Con and we're playing coop just like that.

Very comfortable to play in handheld mode as well. Took a bit of getting used too as the Joy-Cons are skinny af. But it only took a few minutes before it felt natural. Joy-Con grip is decent to travel with and servers its purpose when I need to charge the Pro controller, which is also very comfortable to use. I think the triggers are weird, not sure why they stuck with digital ones this time around. Consistently with the Joy-Con I guess. I think its a must buy for playing at home though. Hopefully they add the ability to use Wii U accessories at some point.

I really like how responsive the OS is. Very quick from boot to playing a game. I hope they had some music to it though because it feels very un-Nintendo being quiet lol. When they add some features in the future I just hope it doesn't get bogged down with useless apps.

As someone who plays a TON of handhelds on the go, it bridges the gap successfully. I feel like I get the full console at home and a powerful handheld when I'm not. So far I've got Zelda, Fast RMX, I Am Setsuna, Binding of Isaac and Metal Slug.

You know what the best part is? I don't have to stop playing when I go poop.

Raithos has received 2 thanks from: Axm, sand4fish
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:32 am

Raithos wrote: Hopefully they add the ability to use Wii U accessories at some point.

Ha ha, no. I don't see that happening. What incentive does a Nintendo fan like me have to buy another $70 pro controller for the Switch if I could just bring over my $50 pro controller from the Wii U? I would love it. But as far as Nintendo's concerned, it would just be leaving money on the table. I miss the days when PS1 controllers could work with PS2 systems and vice versa. Those days are long gone.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby sand4fish » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Raithos wrote:You know what the best part is? I don't have to stop playing when I go poop.

Then Nintendo should highlight this feature on TV ASAP...

phpBB [video]

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Raithos
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Raithos » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:10 pm

That's me!
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:03 pm

sand4fish wrote:
Raithos wrote:You know what the best part is? I don't have to stop playing when I go poop.

Then Nintendo should highlight this feature on TV ASAP...

phpBB [video]

They do in a European Switch commercial.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Anonymous81 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:13 pm

I also own Switch. Loving it so far. No issues.

The portability should not be discounted, it's a huge selling point for me, inferior graphical capabilities be damned.

The only issue I have so far is the lack of games, but it's still early days. Hoping E3 will open the floodgates.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Sonikku » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm guessing I'm the only one playing it on the Wii U. :sad:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Nah I did too, Sonikku

Thief has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:03 am

The Wii-U versions is actually really good. Little to no difference between the two.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming