Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby Sonikku » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 am

Well I must suck because I'm dying like crazy. Guardians kill you instantly with their beam and avoiding it is basically impossible without cover. Those things are terrifying. :sad: I can't seem to do much of any damage to them so the best strategy so far seems to be to panic when hearing the sound effect cue that they're near and run like hell dodging and weaving until you're away. This is one dangerous overworld. :shock:

I did wander into Hyrule Castle which is apparently the final area in the whole game after an early quest objective sent me there to confront ganon. I quickly got trounced and had to turn back. But damn, that music.
phpBB [video]

Think Ocarina of Time's guards in the garden sneaking, except ten times more epic and dangerous scaling walls and avoiding detection by guardians. I guess you can apparently go straight to ganon if you're some kind of psycho gamer but I don't nearly have the ability to do that with only three hearts and few weapons so I had to turn back and pursue the main quest to get stronger.

Sonikku has received 3 thanks from: Raithos, Thief, TwiceFriedRice
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:53 pm

^ holy shit yeah, Hyrule Castle was one of the coolest things ever. Forcing my way through the front gates after I had sufficiently powered myself up and STILL getting my ass rocked hard. The music too just sealing the atmosphere and intensity. God this game is so good. I haven't been this excited playing a game in so long, I absolutely love it.

Thief has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, Raithos, Sonikku
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:42 pm

It is captivating. What I am impressed by most is its ability to draw out an emotional response solely through traveling. I remember riding up a tall mountain to a house while riding a horse and when I reached the top I saw a beautiful sunrise over some mountains with a vast draw distance of Hyrule from below. Breath taking. Jumping off a cliff and parachuting down is just icing on the cake.

The only thing that stops this from being a 10 for me is the performance. Even at only 720p, the Wii U just can't keep this chugging along at 30fps, frequently dropping to 20. The stutters are noticeable and distracting, though understandable given the hardware is basically a Xbox 360 with more ram. To its credit, it runs better on the tablet, which I think outputs in 480p. But I'm still holding out hope that Nintendo rolls out a performance patch that tones down the foliage and grass in exchange for a more reliable 30fps.

Sonikku has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, Raithos
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 am

OMFG using the bow while falling triggers a slow motion mode where you can aim more carefully and feel like a badass. That was SUCH a cool moment!!

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Raithos
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Mr. Frozen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Stop being so enthralled by the game, Sonikku. You gonna make me get a nintendo switch for this game.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:28 am

Nintendo completely outdid themselves. Breath of the Wild is by far the most ambitious title they've ever made and deserves all the praise its getting. Everything from the visuals to the music, gameplay, map design, freedom, NPC’s and so on. The world is huge and incredibly detailed. It’s hard to explain but everything just feels so alive and refreshing. The four races and their cities have this almost Ghibli like magic to them (if you’ve been to Zora’s Domain you know what I mean).

The combat is my favorite of any Zelda. Its awesome riding into a mob on my house and swining away with a claymore. I’ve never liked weapon durability though. Because of games like Dark Souls I can’t in good conscious leave an enemy alive lol. Worrying about breaking a good weapon I’m holding onto for bosses makes you change how you play, so not a huge fan. Not a deal breaker though. Aside from the occasional framerate hitch I honestly have nothing to complain about. And I agree, Hyrule Castle is the shit!

There are dogs. If you feed them they can lead you to treasure. If you crouch walk or spin in circles they will also.

10/10 would chase my tail with a dog again.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:43 pm

I don´t know what really is about this game.

I was playing horizon that have some similarities (in the way of roaming around to kill stuff to gather stuff, and I was looking to craft some arrows), but this game is just so addicting, I can't really pinpoint what it is.

Is like relaxing, even when fights can be really hard. I can't really say what it is, I've been playing like 6 hours almost straight right now, just amazing stuff.

There´s something in here that says ¨you can't do it, but you know you can¨, like I don´t even know if I'm having the "right" strategy for most of the stuff that happens, but shit happens, and it's fun shit. And I can't say anything that really stands out TBH, but it's like everything flows (the only thing was that I felt cheated by doing 4 dungeons and only getting a tiny ammount of stamina), but really, enemies don't feel cheap, dumb (well, on certain ocassions they do), or OP), controlling link feels smooth as a baby covered in oil, It's like there's nothing bad, nothing GREAT, but when you add up, it feels a lot better than when you sit and analyse it.

About the switch, very happy right now, the hardware feels really good (even if I didn't do any update, because hotel wifi requires browser login), haven't tried TV stuff (shitty hotel room tv, and I'm not really used to watch tv, so it feels weird), the joycons are quite good and comfortable even while I was kinda hyped by them, they seem tiny at the start, but then they start to feel "meatier", the buttons are quite small, and I'm falling off cliffs by pressing B because I'm thinking in pc/xbox controller A button.

As for now, I didn't touch any games on the ps4 that I recently bought (horizon, FFXV and TLG), It´s so damn addicting.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Well I had an eventful night. After being hounded by Guardians and running like a little girl I reached a point where I was being zealously chased by TWO. They were too close for me to possibly have any hope of dodging their ultimate attack and sure enough they BOTH started charging up their dreaded death laser with me locked in their sights. I was silently screaming I'M DEAD I'M DEAD I'M SO F$%ING DEAD when suddenly the first death beam goes off from the guardian in the rear and obliterates the one directly behind me a mere instant before its own beam went off! Line of sight FTW! Even with the first one down the one in the rear still likely spelled my doom. I barely made it to a wall and quickly burned all my energy leaping to the top of it before it could fire a second time. With my heart pounding, I reflected on my quasi achievement;

I KILLED A GUARDIAN
well kind of.

Sonikku has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, sand4fish, TwiceFriedRice
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby sand4fish » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:26 pm

shredingskin wrote: I don´t know what really is about this game.

I was playing horizon that have some similarities (in the way of roaming around to kill stuff to gather stuff, and I was looking to craft some arrows), but this game is just so addicting, I can't really pinpoint what it is.

After playing both games for a while, the combat in Horizon seems simplistic in comparison to the one presented in BotW. All Alloy attacks are around bow shooting in the distance, with her melee attacks mainly reserved for knocked downs and stealth kills of smaller enemies. And her only viable defensive move is a tumbling spamming maneuver. On the other hand Zelda offers creative ways to go around combat not only because of the sheer variety of weapons at disposal, but the way they can mesh together along with advanced action games tried and true mechanics like timed dodges and counters, and mounting enemies.

I was simply in awe the moment I sneaked into an enemy camp and snagged all their weapon stash while they were sleeping. As I was starting fighting one of them, the others went running to the stash only to panic as there were no weapons for them to use. Or how the dynamic weather can affect the outcome of your fight, as I threw my metal sword at an enemy while raining only to see lightning strucking down on him a moment later. Truly priceless gaming experience. And don't get me started with traversing its huge world. I don't think it will ever get old for me to use my shield snowboarding through slopes until hitting a edge only then to use my glider to travel around.

Don't get me wrong, Horizon is a very solid game but I'm just so surprised Nintendo managed to weave such a complex title that rivals other free roaming games out there with way more superior hardware. And it's challenging for once!
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:36 pm

I too killed my first guardian last night. :D

Some things I discovered:

Energy weapons work best against them (they appear to be weak to them, which makes sense.)

Run up to them and attack their LEGS with an energy sword. They come off! This flips and momentarily immobilizes them. If you chop enough off, they can't move.

Use perfect guard (press A with a shield raised) right as they fire their laser. This does massive damage to them. The best shield for this is probably the energy shield, but it works with any shield.

Energy arrows to their eye are probably the most damage output you can do to them other than the aforementioned perfect guard reflection of their laser.

You get tons of materials from taking one down, which you can then use later in the game to create super powerful armor.

This game is absolutely breathtaking.

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Sonikku » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Bringing down a guardian is like the fight of your life! I'll definitely remember the energy weapons on the legs though. ANYTHING that can give me an edge against them is sorely needed. They're so extremely dangerous I would dare say most dungeon bosses in previous games posed lesser threats to my life bar than these things. One thing I will say about the differences about this Zelda and previous games is that the majority of your improved performance against enemies seems to have much more to do with your slowly but surely gaining ever greater insight into the subtleties and nuances of the many enemies' movements and attack animations than it does about getting better loot.

In that sense I can see how it might be possible to rush off to Ganon right at the start of the game with a tiny but remotely possible chance of victory. If you truly know your shit and can pull it off without getting hit once with only three hearts you may very well be able to pull off a legendary gaming feat. I'm guessing doing so is what leads to the alternate ending Nintendo talked about as apparently Zelda is already facing off against him all alone and time is of the essence. I'm too afraid to google though as I'm wary of spoilers...
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:20 pm

phpBB [video]
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby sand4fish » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:46 am

After messing around with the options menu, I found out the most immersive way for me to play BotW: Pro HUD Mode. No mini-map, sound meter or time/weather tracking.

Though I do get lost often (a lot tbh), I just don't myself going back to this again:

Now I wish there was a way to turn off the stamina bar and even the hearts among other HUD elements.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Sonikku
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 am

See, this is why it pisses me off that Nintendo stripped the map function on the tablet controller on the Wii U so Switch owners could feel like they had the "definitive" version with no. If I could see the map on the tablet I could go Pro UI and unclutter my main screen. But no. Not only does the Wii tablet just sit there flashing a text message with no other purpose, but it drains the battery even when not in use. I mostly play with the Wii U pro controller and I literally cannot turn off the tablet in Zelda at all.

I can't even turn off the screen, it just flickers back on the instant I push a button on a completely different controller. It's maddening because it needs a recharge every 3 hours (which in zelda is a blink of an eye) and yet you still do need the tablet once in a blue moon for some of the motion control puzzles. I've had it happen where I reached a puzzle like that when the tablet was dead and needed a recharge. I couldn't progress any further in the dungeon. I was NOT happy.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: sand4fish
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:07 pm

This shit of running off stamina while climbing is wearing really old, I might have died like 10 consecutive times today.

And this game goes full attack on my videogame hoarding syndrome, you will need to use a bunch of food and elixirs a lot of times.

I´ve killed 2 guardians, but both kicked my ass a lot, and really I think I just brute-forced them, I cant get a parry if my life depended on it.

EDIT: No, not guardians, the beasts I mean. I really suck.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming