The Silver Case Remake

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

The Silver Case Remake

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:21 pm

I know a few will wet themselves over this:

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: The Silver Case Remake

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:29 pm

WARNING: Crazy Reaction Alert, WARNING: Crazy Reaction Alert

This white powder sure is making things amazing getting announced in my head:

Pfft Shenmue, Zero Escape 3 (999 sequel), new Star Fox, Nier 2, RE2 Remake, The Silver Case Remake yeah right, this can't all be real. No way.

Wait, it is real?!

Suda is back! HE HAS FUCKING RETURNED!

Life is beautiful.

I can't even begin to imagine how fucking beautiful this game is going to look. I will buy ten copies of this game to support The Silver Case: 25 Ward remake and fifty copies of that to ensure we get a Flower, Sun & Rain remake. I'm that damn crazy. Seriously.

WHAT A GLORIOUS WAY TO START MY WEEKEND! Best game news since...Nier 2 and Shenmue 3. My wish list of unlikely games getting made, continues get fulfilled, still have Vagrant Story 2 and Front Mission 6 on my list.

The fact that this is being made for PC as the lead platform on Unity 5 engine by GRASSHOPPER THEMSELVES and not outsourced on the cheap is just beautiful, beautiful news to me. Can't believe this. Just can't. Wow.

Believe guys. We are in crazy times.

KILL THE PAST IS BACK. After how poorly Flower, Sun & Rain did even fucking XSEED refused to touch The Silver Case for localization. This is up there in terms of "horrifically poorly selling game getting new lease of life".
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
I have little else to add to Henry's reaction, other than to say this is the best game news si-- oh wait, he said that.
Well it's good fucking news.

Totally dorky nitpick mode: I really, really wish I could have actually had the chance to play the original PS1 version (which no doubt the planned DS version would have been really close to). So the fact that this is a total graphical remake and all is slightly left of what I would have preferred.
But either way, if the story remains the same, I'm still happy. FSR piqued my interest in the series to an unbelievable level, and it's been friggin torture going all these years without any extra elaboration on that universe. Bummer this is digital-only, but like Henry, I'll buy multiple copies just to support the hell out of it anyway.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:58 pm

I've never even heard of this game, but I like point and click adventure games so I'll check it out I suppose.

Anyway why are you guys super excited about this? Is there something special about it I don't understand? Is it because it's from Suda? I've never played a single Suda game so I can't understand that hype just yet, but maybe I should play something by him... I dunno.

Also lol at the "even too difficult for native Japanese users" part. Stop thinking you're so smart and special japan, and we aren't tards over here in the west. Anyway, from my experiences playing adventure games, if your puzzles are too hard then they're probably bad puzzles.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:12 pm

Mainly, it's that it's Suda before he almost entirely lost his artistic edge. I would have named him as one of the few legitimate artists working in games back when he did Killer 7 and Flower, Sun, and Rain (the Silver Case precedes those).
But then he did No More Heroes, which was really just silliness for silliness' sake; a good game, but none of it meant anything. And ever after, his games seem to have leaned closer to NMH in style; crazy and WTF-inspiring (which is fun, don't get me wrong), but totally lacking in narrative depth. They're mainly just dick jokes and fourth-wall-breaking now.
So the excitement over the Silver Case, for me at least, comes from the hope that it'll have the same kind of unique depth to it that Killer 7 and FSR had. Not to mention that the Silver Case apparently takes place in the same universe as FSR.

OL has received 3 thanks from: Henry Spencer, KidMarine, Thief
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Oh ok cool, if you had a choice between Killer 7 and FSR, which would you recommend I try?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:23 pm

FSR is definitely the more niche of the two. It's totally love it or hate it. Every puzzle is number-based, and you spend more time running around the environment than anything else. It's definitely reserved more for those times when you want to experience something weird-as-fuuuuuuck, but with hidden meaning behind it all.
Killer 7 was actually published by Capcom, so it's obviously the more accessible of the two. It's still very odd and different though. It's almost like an on-foot rail shooter/point&click.

In both cases though, the real highlight is the aesthetics and story rather than the gameplay. They're more like crazy experiences rather than standard videogames.

But yeah, I'd say if you wanted to see what Suda is all about, try Killer 7 first, then see what you think from there.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby KidMarine » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:47 am

OL wrote: Mainly, it's that it's Suda before he almost entirely lost his artistic edge. I would have named him as one of the few legitimate artists working in games back when he did Killer 7 and Flower, Sun, and Rain (the Silver Case precedes those).
But then he did No More Heroes, which was really just silliness for silliness' sake; a good game, but none of it meant anything. And ever after, his games seem to have leaned closer to NMH in style; crazy and WTF-inspiring (which is fun, don't get me wrong), but totally lacking in narrative depth. They're mainly just dick jokes and fourth-wall-breaking now.
So the excitement over the Silver Case, for me at least, comes from the hope that it'll have the same kind of unique depth to it that Killer 7 and FSR had. Not to mention that the Silver Case apparently takes place in the same universe as FSR.

I've never agreed with a post more in my life. Killer7 in particular was a masterpiece. Just incredible. Everything afterwards was goofiness for goofiness' sake.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:07 am

Yeah, I would loved to play the DS version which was a straight port like Flower, Sun & Rain was on the DS. But hey, it sounds like they're retaining everything from the original including the artwork and music. This is like the most unlikely game news since, well, ever actually, since FS&R bombed so hard.

Teaser site:

http://believeintheinternet.com/en/

The plot backdrop for The Silver Case goes like this:

A group of detectives are on the trail of a serial killer named Kamui Uehara, and are out to stop his reign of terror...but he's supposedly already dead. What follows is a trip through hell.

The forever changing presentation The Silver Case was a large part of what made the game a cult favourite in Japan:

The fact that we may also have The Silver Case mobile phone game getting remade later if this does okay for them is crazy as fuck and a remake for FS&R too. Suda must just be at this stage wanting to return to his roots, which I am so happy about.

I mean, I did get the sense that he was returning to his roots more after playing Killer is Dead which featured a character called Mondo (which was call back to Sumio Mondo) and that the Moon (the symbol of a Kill The Past game) played a large part behind the plotline and that the game was originally going to be a new Kill The Past game before they changed things.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon May 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Suda and the people working on the game have been handing out these cryptic leaflets to people at PAX East, which routes to believeintheinternet.com (the viral website that's slowly spelling out "The Silver Case")

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Cave Johnson
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri May 06, 2016 2:15 pm

Officially announced!

■ Introduction

1999: Japan, the “24 Wards”.

A string of serial murders is terrorizing the nation.

All clues that the detectives have uncovered so far, point to one well known perpetrator, Kamui Uehara, the deranged criminal at the center of the infamous “The Silver Case” murders many years prior. But Kamui Uehara is no longer around…

With the string of mysteries, pointing to an impossible suspect, just what is really going on?

■ Gameplay

Combining elements of adventure games and visual novels to create a new and unique experience, The Silver Case invites the player to solve puzzles and experience the story in first-person perspective as a member of the Public Safety Department’s “Republic” Special Forces unit.

Features

Unconventional and unexpected storylines
Characters with vivid personalities
Two scenarios:
Transmitter: the detectives hunt down the truth
Placebo: a freelance writer explores the story
Complete graphic enhancement
The unique Film Window System
In English for the first time ever
■ Film Window System

The Silver Case will be bringing back the Film Window, the system developed by SUDA51 to bring a more dramatic display of text & imagery to players of adventure games.

By displaying game graphics and text in moveable windows, the location of on-screen elements can be adjusted for dramatic purposes and keep the player interested.

Testugoro Kusabi

Detective previously assigned to the original “Silver Case”. Currently working as a special agent for Heinous Crimes Unit 2.

Sumio Kodai

Detective and current partner to Kusabi.

Kamui Uehara

Criminal responsible for the original “Silver Case” murders. Recently escaped from a psychiatric hospital.

Daigo Natsume

Detective that was previously involved in the original “Silver Case”. Now leads the Public Safety Department’s Special Forces unit, “Republic”.

Chizuru Hachisuka

Daughter of the mayor of the 24 Wards. Works in the Heinous Crimes Unit with Kusabi and Kodai.

■ Enhanced Graphics

The Silver Case features not only an all-new English localization, but also an entirely redone build in a new engine with enhanced graphics!

■ Specs

Original Staff:
Director: Goichi “Suda 51” Suda
Developer: Grasshopper Manufacture
PC Version Staff:
Producer: Goichi “Suda 51” Suda
Active Gaming Media
Playism
Release Date: Fall 2016 (estimated)
Platform: PC
Languages: Japanese, English
Supported Peripherals: Gamepad, Keyboard and Mouse

■ Message from Goichi “Suda 51” Suda

I am happy to announce that the long-awaited Silver Case HD remastered version will finally be available as promised.

This title was originally released in 1999, but was never released outside of Japan until today.

The English version will also be available, another promise made to you and will be on Steam, Playism, and other platforms.

Silver Case is returning in Fall 2016.

In the year 2016, please give support for Let It Die and Silver Case.

—SUDA51

When asked why it was coming only to PC, Suda said that he "wanted to make sure that there would be a large number of people that can play it." Developing it in the multiplatform Unity engine could also allow Grasshopper to bring it to other platforms later, he said.

The Silver Case's remake is also related to Suda's broader desire to keep old games playable. He lamented that there are many young gamers who can't experience The Silver Case, for example.

"Since these games can't be played anymore, something must be done," he said.

Suda wants younger gamers to experience Grasshoppper's catalog. He also wants to address a burden for veteran gamers. In either case, anyone who wanted to play The Silver Case today would need both the software and the hardware. That's difficult, he said, and remaking The Silver Case for modern hardware could help both.

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/silver-case- ... PkoYKE1.99

Translation company handling this is the same team that translated Demon's Souls into English.

Still seems so surreal to me.

Can Suda buy the rights for Mizzurna Falls and get that released into English for us as well? Also been hearing rumours of a new Fire Pro getting released and Clock Tower series director Hifumi Kono just released NightCry - survival horror in the old school style, it really does seem like the return of Human Entertainment recently.

The Silver Case though...think this might be most anticipated game ever though. Yes, even more than Shenmue 3 and Nier 2...

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Sat May 07, 2016 3:05 am

So, this aint coming to consoles?
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Suda51 showing the game in English at BitSummit:

phpBB [video]

According to a good friend in Kyoto that attended, Suda confirmed that Ward 25 (the follow up to The Silver Case) is basically happening anyway and will be showing it off next year.

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:16 pm

Gahd, that visual style... tasty. I only skipped through the video because I don't want any story ruined for me (honestly I know nothing of the story, and I want to stay fresh like that until I play it), but even if the graphics have been redone, it doesn't look like a far cry from what I've seen of the original. Art design is all the same and whatnot. Looking great.

Have to say I'm absolutely perplexed by that guy on the left though. He actually speaks Japanese, yet when he mentions the name "Kamui" when speaking English, he actually says "Kuh-moo-ee," as if he's just another westerner unfamiliar with how this stuff is supposed to be pronounced. Completely confused by that.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:04 pm

First trailer:
phpBB [video]

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III