Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap Remake - Reveal Trailer

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap Remake - Reveal Trailer

Postby Kintor » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:35 am

This came out of nowhere but Dot Emu is remaking Wonder Boy III, the classic Sega Master System game, and it looks amazing!

phpBB [video]

I've no idea how it was even possible for Dot Emu to get the rights to this game. As near as I can tell nobody is entirely sure who has the rights to the Wonder Boy franchise. Most seem to think that Sega has the final say on anything to do with the IP but the extent of control remains unclear, especially now as Sega's logo isn't anywhere to be seen in the trailer or the press release.

Regardless, I'm really excited for this game, Wonder Boy III is one of my all time favourite Master System games and ranks highly among my favourite games on any Sega console. To see Wonder Boy III being remade like this, down to the finest detail, with this beautiful new art style, really brings a smile to my face.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap Remake - Reveal Traile

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:03 am

Apart from the new art style, which I can take or leave, I can't really tell from this trailer what the remake is offering that I couldn't get from just downloading the original on PSN (which I did).
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Mr357 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:49 pm

Master System? You missed out if you didn't play this on the PC Engine.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kintor » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:20 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Apart from the new art style, which I can take or leave, I can't really tell from this trailer what the remake is offering that I couldn't get from just downloading the original on PSN (which I did).

What the remake is offering is a faithful recreation of the original game for modern platforms. This goes a step beyond mere emulation and instead shows how Wonder Boy III can look amongst today's game. Personally, seeing Wonder Boy III with this beautiful new art style on my PS4 or perhaps PC is reason enough for me to buy this game.

Mr357 wrote: Master System? You missed out if you didn't play this on the PC Engine.

I'm sure that the PC Engine version is a respectable game. However, the PC Engine (or should I say the TurboGrafx-16) was never the most prolific console compared to the Master System and then later the Mega Drive. This means, as a matter of nostalgia, it's the Master System version of Wonder Boy III that everyone remembers.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:44 pm

Looks fine and dandy (hearing the HD-ified sound effects made me smile), but I'm still more interested in Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. In that one, the original creator, Ryuichi Nishizawa, is involved; the music team includes names like Yuzo Koshiro, Motoi Sakuraba, Michiru Yamane, and Keiki Kobayashi (good god, what a heavyweight lineup that is); and more than any of that, it's actually something new rather than just a remake, making it more of a legitimate successor to the series rather than just nostalgia-baiting copy-and-paste.

I will be honest though, if it were a remake of Wonder Boy in Monster World (Monster World 3) rather than Dragon's Trap, I'd be out of my mind with excitement. WBIMW was always better, and I have a hard time picking a favorite in the series between that and Monster World IV (the series really did end on a ridiculously high note).
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kintor » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:49 pm

I'm bumping this thread to post eleven minutes (or so) of gameplay footage:

phpBB [video]

Really impressed with the game is turning out. I love that the developers have taken the time to provide vivid backgrounds in each boss room, as this was admittedly something the Master System version lacked.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to General Gaming