Resident Evil VII

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Resident Evil VII

Postby Thief » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:56 pm

Wish I could check it out with VR, but it just isn't really possible right now for me. Can't wait to play it tomorrow with my brother though, we've played through them all so far together.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:56 am

Is it just me, or have the Biohazard dev teams never really figured out how to animate mouths properly for some reason?
The lip syncing always looked weird to me in earlier games, but I always figured it was some kind of quirk of the graphics engine or something. But I just watched a bit of the opening for this one (seriously, just go take a peek on youtube or something), and it's still just as present as ever. Possibly stranger than before, too, since the graphics are generally more realistic, yet still have that problem anyway.
It's like they never figured out how lips, teeth, and tongues actually work in conjunction with each other. The mouths always look like the person should have a speech impediment of some kind, like a lisp or something, and yet the voices coming out of them are totally normal.
It's just weird to me because this isn't some common videogame problem, or even a Capcom problem; it's just something I've always noticed in the Resident Evil series specifically. Graphics engines change, entire dev teams change... and yet the problem is always there.
Did somebody put a really weird curse on the series or something? I can't imagine they just have the same confused guy doing mouth animation across every game for over a decade...

OL has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:53 am

Tried the demo, runs silk smooth, very pleased.

I'm too cheap to buy the game though (and I don't like survival horror in general).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Resident Evil VII

Postby Axm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:21 am

HOLY SHIT this game.. just played my first hour or so into it. Who knows how long, time felt like it stopped for me cause I was so into that world.
Turned off every light in my place, pitch dark, nothing but me sitting 3 feet away from my TV, surround sound headset on, phone off. Im in.
Never thought another game would have drawn me in as much as the P.T demo but here's RE7 and tbh im an easy scare but im not THAT easy. But still, im scared to keep playing this game yet feel compelled to push on.

I tried to keep myself pretty in the dark about what this game would have past the demo and I feel it's payed off cause its alot more than I expected out of this game.
Without spoiling anything, once I learned about the main draw of the protagonist, it felt personal.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Thief » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:21 pm

I just beat the game with my brother, and holy crap, one of the best survival horror games in years. It's the sequel we've been waiting for since the classic trilogy on PS1. I absolutely loved it. Atmosphere, design, weapons, story, everything. All of it was so good. Completely gushing over this game right now (even though supposedly i got the bad ending lol). I need to come back a little bit later after my mind settles to give my proper reflective thoughts, because right now i'm stuck blindly loving it :P

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Himuro
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby abaww » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Just finished the game today. Ammmazing experience. Capcom really surprised me in a good way, I was very skeptical about this. I thought the saga was over after RE6 (a complete mess), but here we are, a game that really made me feel like I was 10yo again playin RE2 and 3. Great job capcom!
abaww
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: abaww

Postby Axm » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:58 am

Still going through it. The game just keeps getting better and better. Any doubts anyone would of had about this being a true Resident Evil experience is dead wrong. This is the most RE since REmake and Zero. A pure survival horror experience the likes of which not many games can dream touch in all around execution.
Gameplay, graphics, sound design, music, story, voice acting, pacing, you name it. Top notch marks.

Honestly its only January I know but, this is a GOTY. I doubt another game this year will beat it in all around quality.
If you have a PS4 or Xbox One you owe it to yourself to play this. Quickly became one of my top 10-20 games of all time and I've not even finished it yet.
A new very welcome evolution for the series I hope continues in this vain.

Axm has received a thanks from: abaww
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:50 pm

I started playing and the whole initial sequence this song was on my mind>

phpBB [video]

Only me ? (in the vibe of "that PT was kinda cool, and SH2 is regarded as one of the best stories in games, let's rip some of that").

The game is pretty ok for now (fucking gorgeous though), not much into it, not much into horror either.

I just like looking shit around (I'm playing on easy, and I wanted to see how much does health matters since I'm a jew for items, pretty much spent 5 minutes trying to get hit by the guy and didn't die, so now I'm wondering if I can really die on easy or was just a non die event and wasted health for nothing).

Pretty cool still. It did gave me one good jump scare. A lot of reviews say the game takes a downhill middle/late game though.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:21 pm

Considering all the good reviews this has gotten and also the fact almost everybody on this thread seems happy with the game I'm really considering checking it out. Not in a rush but I guess I'll get it some time down the line when it's not full price anymore.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Wow. Everyone's thoughts are making me excited. I played the demo and thought it was okay but it didn't make me want to buy it. These impressions are fantastic.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Resident Evil VII

Postby Axm » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:32 am

The demo is just cute to me now compared to the rest of the game. It really is worth the buy. It's the definitive game of this generation so far for me.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:54 am

Free DLC coming next month.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Axm
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:14 pm

I finally got around to playing this gem. I just finished it, and I'm pretty confident in saying that it's my favorite Resident Evil game. Yes, that includes 2 and 4. It's the first Resident Evil game to actually be scary, IMO. I'm also not sure I want to play another RE game that's not in 1st person, although I still enjoy the 3rd person/fixed camera type of gameplay. It's just that, the game is made so much more immersive by being in 1st person and I'll take the superior control scheme any day over awkward tank controls that are only there to add arbitrary challenge.

I will say though, the last chapter seemed kind of rushed. The final boss was lame as hell. Still, it's undoubtedly the best RE since 4, and a definite return to form for the series' survival horror roots.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:05 pm

I just finished this fairly recently too and I absolutely love it. While I didn't care too much for the story (haven't cared for the RE series' stories since Neesis or Code: Veronica), the sense of immersion and the atmosphere were amazing. I definitely enjoyed the first parts of the game more than the later parts, but that's probably just because I didn't really like the story.

I haven't really played a Resident Evil game since 4, since I hated 5 and didn't even bother with 6 or any of the offshoots. However, if the series continues and evolves in the direction established in VII, then I'm all for it.

By the way, I've been playing through the Resident Evil Origins collection on PS4, and I gotta say that I love those too. The first Resident Evil mores o than RE0 though; RE0 is just really, really corny.
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: God of War

Previous

Return to General Gaming