Resident Evil VII

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Resident Evil VII

Postby Thief » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as far as the aesthetics and story of the game are concerned, but from what I could tell from the trailer, and what excited me the most, is there seems to be definite combat/exploring of a mansion -- a very adventure/metroidvania feel -- and that very much is Resident Evil. This one may be going a different direction in the specific type of horror (although it's probably still biological horrors and we just don't know enough yet) but the gameplay looks like a return to form (despite being in first person). I was really worried after the last "hide-y" trailer, but this looks like it's going to be good. Start at 1:13 and tell me that isn't Resident Evil. I don't know, I'm optimistic.

Thief has received a thanks from: Axm
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:49 pm

If that isnt Survival Horror, I dont know what is. You're in a mansion, you have limited supplies, you have strange frightening things happening around you, monsters etc. It's deep dark and unpredictable. I absolutely love what they are doing here. Ya it's not Japanese-y and more western style, but what do you expect. The majority of the audience IS western and appealing to Japanese people when they are more concerned with playing the next smart phone game would be a mistake in trying to appeal to the largest audience.
The table scene at the end there is imo abit over the top for what Resident Evil has been, but when you try to shock people its understandable I guess. Everything else though, the settings walking through the hall way, the lighting, gunplay and everything is so PT, Outlast and SH4 and way more preferable than the Micheal Bay action fest we had with 6.
This is the revamp the series needs to survive. No way can they just keep doing what they were doing and make people excited. To me this is getting back to the roots and then going back further into a darker place we've always imagined existed but never seen in that world. Umbrella will be there, original story elements will be there.
I am very optimistic about this game and Capcom finally coming through with the claim years ago that they are going back to survival horror is finally happening.

Axm has received a thanks from: Monkei
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:03 am

As a person of southern heritage I am concerned about the japanese interpretation and ultimate presentation of how all of this louisiana setting will be in RE7. That last scene at the dinner table... that was difficult to watch. Everything before that though I didnt mind as much, but jesus christ that was one of the most unbelievable scenes and just face palm worthy interpretation of southern back woods hill billy people I have ever seen, when the lady stormed off when he wouldnt eat the dinner I really raised an eye brow. Anyway, not expecting much from capcom now a days anyway, but if it ends up being better than it looks right now, great.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:48 am

So you mean that's not an authentic representation of a typical family from Louisiana?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:52 am

Monkei wrote: So you mean that's not an authentic representation of a typical family from Louisiana?

Nah they were too civilised compared to the real thing.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Axm
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Thief » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:17 am

I have family in Louisiana -- at the very least, the accents are dead wrong. My grandfather did stab my nephew at the dinner table though.

Thief has received 4 thanks from: Axm, FlagshipFighter, Monkei, south carmain
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:31 am

Monkei wrote: So you mean that's not an authentic representation of a typical family from Louisiana?

Definitely not. As more time goes by, less and less southern culture is around, but it will never disappear all together I dont think, its too deeply engraved in these areas. Anyway, there are people that think southern culture is only holding us back. They have rehabilitation clinics to "correct" peoples southern accents, stop using the "drawl" which is a characateristic of the english dialect here, since apparently are so un-desireable, and its supposed to help get work and be social. I think all that is ridiculous but I guess southern people are just so hard to understand, idk, but dont destroy that culture in the process yet thats exactly whats happening.

Dont get me wrong, there are some people around here that are like that, but southern people are usually nice and very friendly, the ones on drugs are usually the problematic ones that hate everything. I know people of both, man if you guys only knew, some real pieces of work. I lived in a crazy little town for a while here in the metro Atlanta area, perfectly split 50/50 demographics, the town originated from a mental hospital, plenty of Colonial history, slave trade, and even underground water system that was built in the 1900s where people died and is haunted and condemed now. Lots of country and hill billy folks around, with plenty of projects, ghettos, hoods, and trailer parks.

But yeah, I am definitely interested to see how RE7 ulltimately portrays alot of these things, I am curious what kind of research they did to learn what they should put in the game and mainly if they japanese have the capacity to harness it. I am keeping my eye on RE7. In the mean time I need to some how get my hands on the RE0/1 PS4 HD, I need to dive a bit further into RE since I have only beaten RE4.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:26 pm

The head of the family should have been wearing a 'Make America Great Again' hat.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:57 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: As a person of southern heritage I am concerned about the japanese interpretation and ultimate presentation of how all of this louisiana setting will be in RE7. That last scene at the dinner table... that was difficult to watch. Everything before that though I didnt mind as much, but jesus christ that was one of the most unbelievable scenes and just face palm worthy interpretation of southern back woods hill billy people I have ever seen, when the lady stormed off when he wouldnt eat the dinner I really raised an eye brow. Anyway, not expecting much from capcom now a days anyway, but if it ends up being better than it looks right now, great.

It's not a Japanese interpretation of anything. The whole thing is written by a westerner.
Whatever the case, it's obviously not supposed to be a representation of reality in any way, shape, or form. Pretty sure Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasn't intended as an expose on typical life in Texas; same goes for this and Louisiana. No reason to take it as some kind of slight against the South. It's a horror game. The whole point is to showcase ugliness.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:24 am

OL wrote: Pretty sure Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasn't intended as an expose on typical life in Texas

That's exactly what it's like here though lol. Just a bunch of dudes running up and down the street in overalls, swinging chainsaws at all the hot girls. Makes going to Taco Bell after dark pretty scary!

Raithos has received 3 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, OL, south carmain
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:29 pm

OL wrote: It's not a Japanese interpretation of anything. The whole thing is written by a westerner.

Whaaaatt? You are kidding... well I guess we really arent in the tried and true days of Resident Evil anymore. I did not know that, and it kind of disappoints me honestly. I like my japanese games to ya know... be made by japanese people, especially the writers, even if it is subject matter that involves different countries and cultures. I am sure they have had advisers about american culture through out the series and there there has been plenty of western made RE media like the movies, so I guess that piece of information could be hit or miss. Nothing to boycott the game over, how long have the writers been a westerner? Or is this the first time?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:35 pm

I bet half the time you wouldn't be able to tell what nationality the writers were if you hadn't been explicitly told beforehand (or had prior knowledge). The fact that you had to ask "how long have the writers been a westerner? Or is this the first time?" seems to show to me that it doesn't matter.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:30 pm

More like seems to show that I dont know much about the RE games. Like I have said, I have only beaten RE4 and briefly loaded up 2 on the N64 basically just to test it cause it came with my console from ebay. I am still trying to get into the series, it seems VII is more of a stand alone tale and I looked it up, VII is indeed the first main entry with a non-japanese writer. Actually I dont think any of the games have the same writers at all, some of them have multiple writers even. Im not saying its bad just cause the writer is what ever country of origin, just all games previously were from japan, and it seems odd that changed with this one, but maybe it will end up being a needed change, who knows? I was curious about a japanese interpretation of Louisiana and southern United States culture cause im from the south also, but it does seems I was wrong in that assumption, either way, its all good.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:12 am

Completed my first playthrough today and I'm very happy with it. I'll keep it short and sweet. It's a fun game and most of all a solid Biohazard, something I haven't said in a while.

I played mainly via PSVR and also via PS4Pro at 4K/HDR. It's nice to see Biohazard pushing technical boundaries once again, the RE Engine looks stunning and performs flawlessly at 60fps. The sense of immersion in VR is a first of it's kind, at times so good it's uncomfortable. I found the entire experience to be extremely natural. For example if I was hiding behind a corner while not in VR, I'd side step and take a peek, thus leaving the character vulnerable. In VR however, I'd remain behind the corner but simply stick my head out a bit to take a look, just as you would in a real life situation. This extra sense of immersion tops off an already well crafted atmosphere that stands tall on it's own.

The atmosphere, layout, inventory management, combat, files, puzzles and flow of the game all closely resemble classic Biohazard. Enemy flow however seems a bit different at first, mainly because there isn't a low tier enemy type (zombie) filling the area. Molded are a higher tier (and range between types), though do become the games default enemy over time. This fresh take shakes up the flow a bit, though still stays true to the classic formula.

Biohazard once pushed the envelope with pre-rendered, then OTS and now VR/FP. While this may be the series biggest departure yet, it's also the most familiar entry in a decade. Going first person wasn't a cop out, it was a venture into the VR space and therefore the future. At it's core however, this is a classic title in the same vein as Rebirth or Zero. It's a lot of what we wanted, a little bit of what the series needed and a damn fine soft boot.

Yama has received 6 thanks from: Axm, Coromasta, Monkei, Raithos, TwiceFriedRice, we420
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:14 pm

Can't wait to pick it up. And I wont be playing in VR initially like you but will definitely eventually. Seems like the kind of game VR was really made for.

Axm has received a thanks from: Yama
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming