Resident Evil VII

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Resident Evil VII

Postby Gavan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:55 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: I like old school RE as well.

As for your other point. Well...they are, Resident Evil 2 is being remade.

Yes, I know. I just think the main series should be going back to using the old school style of gameplay too. But I guess that isn't going to happen... :sad:
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:13 pm

My main question right now is this: Will there be gun play? I mean I think everyone can agree they have the aesthetics down this time, but after the fall out that was RE5 and 6, I would hope they wouldnt make the decision to exclude using a gun. Yet here are with a trailer and no mention of it, is capcom just trolling? Its very curious where it fits in with the collective story, and if you dont use guns, how exactly does this one fit in? Lots and lots of annoying mysteries about RE7 so far...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:15 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I mean I think everyone can agree they have the aesthetics down this time

I think that's the exact opposite of what people have been saying.

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: Gavan, OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Yeah, I think the aesthetics are about as far off as can be. I don't usually think of Texas Chainsaw Massacre-esque dilapidated houses and piles of meat and filth for Resident Evil.

OL has received a thanks from: Gavan
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:09 pm

The Resident Evil 7 demo currently available on PS4 for PlayStation Plus subscribers isn't actually part of the full game.

Capcom confirmed this to Eurogamer earlier today, where it was also confirmed that the full game will star a different lead character than the man in the demo.

The studio noted that Resident Evil 7 has been in development since 2014.

We took a look at Resident Evil 7's demo earlier today and I found it an unclear representation of how the full game would be, but more diligent explorers than I discovered an axe - complete with an attack button and all - suggesting that there will be combat in the full experience.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -full-game
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Thief » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:47 am

I'm not opposed to it being first person but it really needs combat and proper exploration. I hear people often saying that RE needs to be more scary, but that's not what makes an RE game imo. The old games were good because they were akin to Zelda and Metroid, but in addition to the exploration and puzzle elements, there were strong survival and resource management elements. You'd want to save your shotgun shells because you might need it for something dangerous up ahead. I don't want a "scary experience", I want a game. If this ends up being like outlast or amnesia, I'm going to be more disappointed than with re6. I'll stay optimistic for the time being though... since there is little information, but please... please don't let the demo be a representation of the final product.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, TwiceFriedRice
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gavan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:12 am

Thief wrote: I'm not opposed to it being first person but it really needs combat and proper exploration. I hear people often saying that RE needs to be more scary, but that's not what makes an RE game imo. The old games were good because they were akin to Zelda and Metroid, but in addition to the exploration and puzzle elements, there were strong survival and resource management elements. You'd want to save your shotgun shells because you might need it for something dangerous up ahead. I don't want a "scary experience", I want a game. If this ends up being like outlast or amnesia, I'm going to be more disappointed than with re6. I'll stay optimistic for the time being though... since there is little information, but please... please don't let the demo be a representation of the final product.

Personally I hate first person games so I am not happy with this change at all. They should have gone back to fixed camera angles.

To me what made the old games so great was exploring the creepy/mysterious locations, combined with the puzzles and moderate amounts of action.
Gavan

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:58 am

Resident Evil 5 and 6 were full of guns. Resident Evil 7, not so much.

The last two entries in Capcom's once survival horror series elevated their protagonists to near-superhero levels. Elite mercenary Chris Redfield ended up a zombie-fighting James Bond. Both game's stories featured globe-trotting plots to fight bioterrorism.

Resident Evil 7 changes all of that. In fact, developer Capcom has said, if you're looking for another action-packed Resident Evil, you should look elsewhere - to spin-offs such as Umbrella Corps.

"The game is survival horror," Resident Evil 7 director Koushi Nakanishi told Eurogamer at E3 today.

Resident Evil 7 will be a far smaller scale, claustrophobic experience, with a heavy focus on setting and atmosphere. It will also take place entirely in one place - somewhere out in the wilderness of Louisiana.

"If anyone out there has a bloodlust for holding a gun, check out Umbrella Corps," Nakanishi continued. "We are separating these aspects out into different titles where that gameplay can come to the fore, and makes the most sense for that title. [Resident Evil 7] is not going to be a gun fest."

Coupled with that will be a focus on a new, "normal" protagonist far removed from the superhero status of the STARS mercenary programme.

"It's a normal person protagonist. We're getting back to basics - in Resident Evil 1 Chris was not a comic book hero, he was a special forces agent but he wasn't as advanced a fighter as later in the series."

That's not to say combat will be entirely absent. Indeed, players who have been examining the game's playable trial have already discovered clues to an axe weapon.

Resident Evil fans will be able to heal themselves via a familiar item, however.

"I can confirm herbs," producer Masachika Kawata revealed.

As the name suggests, Resident Evil 7 is the continuation of the franchise. It's set after the events of Resi 5 and 6, and still takes place within the same overall world.

"It's not a reboot, it's a rebuilding from the ground up," Nakanishi concluded. "It's still set in the Resident Evil universe, and while the action in the demo takes place around this plantation house, it is happening in the same world as the other Resident Evil characters inhabit. The title is Resident Evil 7 Biohazard, which as well as being the title of the series in Japan is also a clue to what's going on in this game."

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Monkei
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:10 am

I like that it's combining Resident Evil and Biohazard in its title. Wonder what the japanese version is called.. Biohazard 7: Resident Evil?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:17 am

Riku Rose wrote:
Resident Evil 7 will be a far smaller scale, claustrophobic experience, with a heavy focus on setting and atmosphere. It will also take place entirely in one place - somewhere out in the wilderness of Louisiana.

Sounds like it's going to be an indie vr kickstarter project ripoff afterall then.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:03 pm

The writer of Resident Evil 7 is Spec-Ops: The Line’s Richard Pearsey.

Pearsey, who also wrote F.E.A.R., is the series’ first western writer on a major Resident Evil title. He shared his involvement on his Twitter account, saying, “This has been quite a trip. Very glad to have played a part.”

https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/17/reside ... he-series/
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:16 pm

so is it going to end by telling you that you were the monster all along?

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:40 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
The writer of Resident Evil 7 is Spec-Ops: The Line’s Richard Pearsey.

Pearsey, who also wrote F.E.A.R., is the series’ first western writer on a major Resident Evil title. He shared his involvement on his Twitter account, saying, “This has been quite a trip. Very glad to have played a part.”

https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/17/reside ... he-series/

I scrunched my face a little at that.
I'm not saying that there needs to be a complete and utter cultural divide in the videogame world, but honestly when I go into such a prominent Japanese series as Resident Evil, I expect it to be created by Japanese talent. Even if trying at a more "western" feel, a game made entirely by Japanese devs has a different feel next to anything made by devs from the US or Europe. And I love that stuff. I'd really prefer to see Resident Evil continue to be a specifically Japanese series, rather than having it ease over to western devs of any kind.
Granted, the guy has a good track record regardless (Spec Ops: the Line is fantastic, and FEAR certainly had a cool story in its own right). All the same, that doesn't mean that he's what I want out of Resident Evil.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:52 pm

I think a good example of how a series went in the wrong direction but the dev team pulled it back was Doom. The originals were fast paced not so much horror as straight nonstop action. So they took it back to that and it paid off.

I never played anything before RE 4 but I know they were bit puzzle game that relied on atmosphere and not big action sets. They took the success of RE 4 and learned the wrong lesson thinking people wanted more guns and multiplayer.

With this new one it seems they're going full steam toward horror.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:18 pm

20th Anniversary video where RE5 and Revelations 2 Director Yasuhiro Anpo and the REmake Producer talk about the development of RE5 and give a little talk about REmake 2 which they are both working on.

phpBB [video]
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming