Resident Evil VII

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Resident Evil VII

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:54 pm

OL wrote:Yeah, I think the aesthetics are about as far off as can be. I don't usually think of Texas Chainsaw Massacre-esque dilapidated houses and piles of meat and filth for Resident Evil.

TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 pm

It just doesn't feel like Resident Evil to me anymore, sadly. I always felt the classic style Resident Evil's were the best and with that, Resident Evil 0 was probably the last great one.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:01 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
OL wrote:Yeah, I think the aesthetics are about as far off as can be. I don't usually think of Texas Chainsaw Massacre-esque dilapidated houses and piles of meat and filth for Resident Evil.

Y'know, it's actually kind of interesting to consider those examples, as it kind of relates to my point about Japanese creators working on Japanese properties. Even though RE obviously took influence from western horror movies and whatnot, it still never actually felt like western horror, because there was always that uniquely-Japanese sense of style to it.
Even with a little run-down town and a chainsaw guy in a mask, RE4 somehow never felt like it had that attitude of... filthy meanness, I guess, that makes Texas Chainsaw Massacre what it is, so it never actually felt much akin to it.
And that's my problem with the way REVII looks; it just looks like a stab at dirty western horror, with nary a trace of the Japanese-tinged B-horror that the series has always been (from the beginning all the way through to RE6 and the Revelations games, whether they were similar games or not). That "filthy meanness" seems to be present and accounted for.
Doesn't automatically make it bad, obviously, it just feels like an abandonment of the tone that made the series appealing to begin with.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:37 am

I don't get the hate or dislike over it. Ya I know it's different, it's more Silent Hills than Resident Evil, but it doesn't make it a bad game. Played the demo, loved it. I like these kind of games. Jump scares, intricate area's with items littered about, psycho's etc. I really don't mind that its a "detour" for the series, even though clearly Umbrella is still involved if you found the clue in the demo. Just make a good game imo. but that's just me. After the craziness of 5 and 6 story wise I think the series really needs this to get grounded again.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:25 am

Has anyone beat the demo without the old man getting them yet?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gavan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:40 am

Axm wrote: I don't get the hate or dislike over it. Ya I know it's different, it's more Silent Hills than Resident Evil, but it doesn't make it a bad game.

I am going to give this game the benefit of the doubt. I still really don't like the first person camera and the Silent Hill influence, but some of the interviews with the designers have made it sound like it could be decent. They said the original Resident Evil was a big influence so that sounds good. I just hope the RE2 remake is done in a more old school style.
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby Thief » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:02 am

http://www.biohaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8239

This interview really put me at ease.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:07 pm

phpBB [video]

I don't know. Trying too hard to be Amnesia/Soma/Outlast/Silent Hills/etc. I think..

Edit: On the other hand it's kinda fun to see a big studio like Capcom copy smaller and more creative developers, trying to catch up. It's pretty much a testament to the skills of the indie scene's more talented heads.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:41 pm

^ I have a similar opinion on this. That trailer looks fine, but not anything more than that .Still not as intense as it could have been. I'm not too butthurt about the style going in a different direction, it's just that other games have done that better.

If the trailers had looked better this might have been a day 1 purchase for me. Still willing to give this game a shot anyway. But probably not until the price has dropped. I'd be willing to spend about 25 Euros on this game, so I'll probably get it digital only or buy a used hard copy.

Speaking of horror games, I'm really looking forward to Here They Lie and We Happy Few.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Horror gaming is well and truly dead. It's become nothing more than a copy and paste machine now.

Makoto Shibata, save us.
And Keiichiro Toyama, if he returns to horror, just hope he doesn't get reeled in by the VR obsession at the moment as well and if he does, keep the game third person, ffs).

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Thief » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:08 am

phpBB [video]

new trailer -- good trailer.

I feel like the trailer before this was showing some sort of prologue, and then the main character (Ethan?) is going to search for the girl from the prologue. Ethan's campaign will likely be the main game. I doubt it's going to be much like Outlast and the like after watching this trailer.

Thief has received a thanks from: Monkei
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:00 am

Great vibe from the latest trailer! A few throwbacks to, and tropes of, the classic Resi games mixed with a creepy, unsettling hillbilly/backwoods horror tone.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Seriously? A scene at the dinner table with the batshit family of killers? I don't think they could rip off Texas Chainsaw Massacre any harder if they tried. And it's funny, I mentioned TCM after the first teaser just as an example of the vibe, and how "off" it is from what Resident Evil ought to be. But now we see that, yeah, that's pretty much the direct inspiration here.
Maybe I just need to be in a different mood or something, but as it is right now... yeah, no thanks. Not digging it.
I miss my good old Japanese-style horror games.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby BlueMue » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:02 pm

That trailer was definately disturbing. And at least it's an an old mansion again.
But this isn't Resident Evil. It's Evil Residents.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:30 pm

Yeah it might be a good game but it seems to be lacking that Japanese touch that I imagine draws a lot of people to the series. But I guess with the backlash they got over previous entries they are trying to satisfy the market by taking inspiration from styles that seem to be popular recently, can't really blame them for that even if it makes the game pretty uninteresting for me as I was never really a fan of the western first person defenceless horror genre.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming