Spider-Man

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Spider-Man

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:42 pm

Normally these types of games turn out so-so but the fact it's being made by a big studio and funded by Sony makes me excited.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Spider-Man

Postby OL » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:46 pm

Insomniac...? :-s
That's... that's really friggin cool.

If it's supposed to be a tie-in to the movies, then I'll say it right now: fuck it, I'm out. Just not interested in playing a videogame version of anything related to the Marvel movie-verse for some reason.
But if it's something that gets to stand on its own, be its own game (which I'm guessing is the case, based on the costume)?
Heck yes.
Could be like the Arkham City of Spider-Man games. Looks like it has serious potential.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:01 am

They've said it will be it's own universe so you can sleep easy.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:50 am

Pretty much the nicest surprise of this year's show to me I think.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Insomniac/Sony's Spider-Man series will be the only console Spider-Man series going forward. They want to find excellent teams and then dedicate the IPs to them so they can focus on quality. That's not to say Spider-Man can't be in a cross-over game, but you won't see something like Activision console Spider-Man games coming out alongside these. Jay explicitly says "The future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac."

Movie tie-in games are over for Marvel. This is the same as their mobile strategy. All games will be given lengthy development cycles with all the budget they need and have no concerns about hitting a specific date tied to a movie/comic book/whatever. Marvel is very clear that developers cannot be rushed or underfunded if they're going to make great games.

When asked about whether Marvel's console games will have cross-overs and cameos like the films do, he states "The world's full of surprises. You never know."

Marvel will also only work with developers who are clearly very excited about the IP itself instead of just the IP's money making potential. He notes that he can usually tell within the first 30 seconds if someone is actually passionate about the IP in question.

As for working with Insomniac specifically, Jay mentions that they're only 10 minutes away from the studio and 10 minutes away from Sony as well, so that they're in contact every day, which they think is very helpful for getting their new initiative going well. They also openly admit that Spider-Man is the most commercially successful superhero so they're more than happy to start with him.

Jay notes they have several other console games in development that will be revealed over the upcoming years. I probably wouldn't expect an immediate impending announcement (beyond perhaps unveiling Telltale's game) since he wasn't teasing any more reveals soon.

Could be pretty cool if we get something like the MCU in game form.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:52 pm

phpBB [video]

This looks like it's shaping up to be something awesome. I'd love them to do something like the Batman Arkham series and have more then one game to build their world.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:36 pm

Looking good for the most part, but I will admit: I cringed when the trailer basically started with Peter pining after a normal life.
Facepalm, eye roll.
I used to love Spider-Man as a kid, but I'd say his absolute greatest weakness in terms of appeal is his propensity toward whining about being a fucking superhero. I can really do without that shite.
Still, the game looks ever higher-grade than I was expecting from a production value standpoint. Very pretty. And the little bits I've seen of gameplay really are basically "Arkham meets Spider-Man," so that should be all good.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:10 am

Love Spider-Man, hate Peter Parker.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: OL, Truck_1_0_1_
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:20 am

During a livestream from Insomniac Games’ headquarters, Marvel’s Spider-Man Senior Writer Jon Paquette, Art Director Jacinda Chew, Creative Director Brian Intihar, and Community Director James Stevenson shared a lot of great information on the game, analyzing the fantastic trailer showcased at Paris Games Week.

First of all, we learn that the whole trailer was running live in the game’s engine.

The development team was looking for a “boy next door” look for Peter Parker. He is actually scanned from a real-life actor doing performance capture. Unfortunately, is identity was not revealed.

Peter Parker’s bracelets are actually webshooters. To be more specific, they’re mechanical webshooters. They snap into his suit. Peter’s relationship status with Mary Jane Watson is “complicated.”

The team decided for a slightly older look for aunt May, as it fits better into Peter’s storyline. She still has a lot of energy and volunteers at Martin Li’s shelters. The “5 Years of Service” banner in the background is actually for her.

The trailer shows that when Spider-Man succeeds, Peter fails, which is a big theme in the game. We hear a tease mentioning that in the scene after Peter enters his apartment (with a big eviction notice on the door), the animators did something “really cool.”

The player gets to experience “all sides” of Peter’s life. You can control him when he’s not Spider-Man. According to the developers, it’s really hard to tell a human story without showing the protagonist’s human side. That being said, the majority of the game is about playing him as Spider-Man.

Mary Jane is also playable at some point, and she is doing something related to her job. That being said, no more information was shared on this.

Miles Morales knows Peter, and he ends up volunteering at Peter Li’s shelters. He is fifteen years old in the game, while Peter is 23. While this is a game about Peter, the dynamic between him and Miles is very important to his character’s development. Miles originally wasn’t in the game, but he was added as the developers were looking for a new element for the story. He allows them to show a different side of Peter.

Norman Osborn is in the game, and he is the Mayor of New York City, running for re-election. The trailer actually showcased a brief glimpse on the Sanctum Sanctorum, Doctor Strange’s headquarters. The team worked with Marvel to create a “Marvel’s New York City,” with many landmarks from the publisher’s universe.

Interestingly, for those landmarks that actually have a physical address, the team tried to place them in the right location. That being said, the city isn’t a 1-to-1 reproduction of the real New York, but Insomniac Games tried to reproduce its feel and general proportion, with districts retaining their characteristics.

Peter has been Spider-Man for eight years at the time of the story.

There are a lot more villains on top those we have seen so far, ranging from classic ones like Kingpin and Shocker to relative newcomers like Mr. Negative. There are also a lot more suits and more characters that have not been revealed yet. We also learn that Shocker’s alter ego in the game is still the classic Herman Schultz.

https://www.dualshockers.com/marvel-spi ... w-details/

The more I hear about this the more excited I get.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Mr. Frozen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:18 am

These trailers look neat but they show next to no gameplay. Not getting my hopes up.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:57 pm

There's lots of gameplay out there. Just check youtube.
It's like the swinging and city traversal of the old games (with a little bit of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction thrown in, the way Spider-Man can run up and across buildings), with combat and stealth like the Arkham games.
OL
Shenmue III

Return to General Gaming