Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:18 pm

It's kind of funny/weird that even though Del Toro's likeness is in the game he isn't credited at all in the trailer or on the posters.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:28 am

I don't know if I wanna watch the new trailer. I'm pretty convinced that this game will end up being something really special. It's most likely gonna be nuts, it's gonna be polished as hell, with briliant and addictive gameplay in addition to a weird, provocative, confusing but somehow awesome story and characters. That's what I'm speculating and hoping for at least, based solely on the fact that this game is Kojima off Konami's and Metal Gear's leash (and the E3 2016 trailer). So I'll probably make an effort to remain as unspoiled as I possibly can until it comes out.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:05 pm

After watching that trailer I have to say Kojima still has that sort of "AAA blockbuster" meets "weird" cinema style down to a fucking T. There is no one else out there like him. Mad Mikkelsen is a brilliant pick for the villain. I'm madly excited for this game now, that trailer was fucking spot on.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:26 pm

You cant say its a Kojima game without thinking WTF did I just watch.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:04 pm

Great to see this immensely talented game director finally doing something other than Metal Gear.

Not hating on Metal Gear, but I think it's a great thing Kojima gets to try out something fresh at last.

So, what do you think, ladies and gentlemen? When will this come out? 2018 or later?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:32 am

I kind of missed out on this bit of news but apparently, Hideo Kojima tweeted about still working on the script last month.

https://gamingbolt.com/death-stranding-hideo-kojima-is-currently-working-on-the-games-script

This probably means s they are not even into full production yet.This game won't come out in 2018, perhaps not even 2019. The interesting question is if it will still make the PS4. If we take into account that Sony's previous consoles each had a life span of six or seven years, Death Stranding probably has a chance of at least 50% of being on PS5 instead of PS4. I could easily see Sony wanting it as an early "killer title" for PS5.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Take into account that the writing of a script can often be a semi-continuous process, especially in the production of vidogames. It seems like most people think it's over and done with at the beginning of a project as the be-all/end-all blueprint for everything, but many times (and especially with a guy like Kojima) scripts will keep changing as it goes on. There's probably a firmly set beginning, middle, and end to the plot, sure, but being an interactive medium, it's almost inevitable that writing continues as a project goes on, accounting for variables and new gameplay ideas they come up with.
In The Document of MGS2, for example, they show how certain major elements came along far into development, such as the whole sequence where you have to freeze all the C4 that Fat Man set up around the Big Shell. They came up with that when they already had the graphics, gameplay, sound, etc pretty well hammered out, and it results in a pretty hefty amount of extra writing that had to be done.
Death Stranding could be over half-completed for all we know. Continuing work on a script doesn't actually indicate much about how far along they are.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Yeah Sony aren’t going to have been paying almost 100 people for almost two years to still be making the blueprints.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:37 pm

He even literally says "fixing the scriptment" in the second Tweet which sounds to me like a second go over, like how he might add more detail into the story. Since the game is motion captured as well with actors and actresses he will no doubt be amending and making changes as he goes. Kojima keeps drafts of his scripts at hand that he compares against as well. He even did a script for Snatcher 2 that never went into production (which he teased on Twitter years and years ago).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 pm

New trailer. Still have no idea what the fuck is going on.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:32 am

Is it weird that I kind of don't even necessarily want to know what's going on?
Watching all these trailers for it, the big appealing aspect is the surrealism of it all. And surrealism tends to remain most interesting when it isn't explicitly explained, when you have to figure out your own analysis of it. David Lynch's artsier projects are a good example of that.
I'm fucking fascinated by all the stuff we've seen so far, but I can't help but get the feeling that it probably won't be as compelling once we're actually playing it, and everything is being explained in completely certain, concrete terms (because let's face it, that's Kojima's writing style; he overexplains all the time).
Still weird that we haven't seen a lick of gameplay though.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Mr.Jigen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:34 am

This trailer was way out there.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:20 am

Looks like typical Kojima bollocks. He's been off his nut since Sons of Liberty..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:27 pm

phpBB [video]
[/color]
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:34 am

I was intrigued by the first two trailers but this trailer does indeed look a bit pretentious. Will probably still get the game because I'm interested in what Kojima can do without Konami restricting him.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming