Sonic 25th reveals - Sonic Mania and 'Project Sonic 2017'

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Sonic 25th reveals - Sonic Mania and 'Project Sonic 2017'

Postby Kintor » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:57 am

Sonic's 25th anniversary party and live stream has just ended. There were many announcements made but most important among them were two brand new Sonic games:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I can't wait to play both of these games!

Kintor has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Jesse, Nankeiro, OL
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Sonic 25th reveals - Sonic Mania and 'Project Sonic 2017

Postby Thief » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:13 am

That 2D one looks really fun. Can't say much about the second one since the trailer is pretty bare-bones, but I really liked Generations.. so who knows, it could be good. Wish Sega would remember some of its other million bajillion franchises for once, but at least these Sonic games look like they will be decent.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:52 am

I like how they made it clear that it was being made by the people that made colours and generations. On the downside that trailer kinda gave me a 06 vibe and felt too edgy/wannabe realistic for the sonic I enjoy so I'm not feeling it too much so far.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:41 am

I am just foolish enough to feel a tingle of hope for the first one. Some good choices being made there. Almost as if they finally get it. This time. Maybe?

As for the second, I've never really enjoyed any of the 3D games so I'm not particularly interested, but I'll reserve judgment for now. I do wish they wouldn't present "old school Sonic" as an actual child in these games though. He was never intended as such in the originals. A teenager perhaps, but not a powder blue infant who looks like he'd be as happy with a coloring book and some crayons as saving the planet from evil.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:03 am

Will Michael Jackson be doing the music?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby KidMarine » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:10 am

Mania looks like what we've all been crying out for for 20 years now. It looks great!

Getting some serious 06 vibes from 2017 though.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:18 am

As much as the Sonic announcements were welcoming, I stayed up to watch it and couldn't get over how bad the stream was. Those sound issues?? Someone was fired this morning I sincerely hope.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:47 am

Ah, finally something interesting from the hedgehog again.

Mania looks like what Sonic 4 should've been all along. Much more in tone with the 16 Bit games.
It sure gives off that Sonic CD vibe, with a bit of the even crazier level design from Knuckles Chaotix and some truly classic elements. The problem I have with this is that it looks too much like a fan game, wich it basically is, considering who made it. I wonder if this one will be download only.

The new project did indeed look a lot like Sonic 06. That scene could've easily been Iblis in Crisis City.
Retro Sonic sort of lightens it up but I'm not sure what this is going to be. I don't think it will just be a Generations 2 with more classic levels remade.

It's a good thing that they finally make Sonic games for the "real" systems again. WiiU owners will be very sad, they'll have to stick with the Sonic Boom Series. :lol:
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:02 am

BlueMue wrote:It's a good thing that they finally make Sonic games for the "real" systems again. WiiU owners will be very sad, they'll have to stick with the Sonic Boom Series. :lol:

I was about to query another part of your post, but now I get the feeling I won't get the considered, insightful answer I'd have hoped for. :twitch:
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:21 am

I didn't mean that in a bad way. I was just surprised they decided to go this way and leave the WiiU out. Maybe they are very ambitious with the 2017 project but I don't see how Mania doesn't work on the WiiU.

By the way, did any one notice that the typical ring with wings that Sonic goes through on the title screen in this game starts of as the red part around the power led on the Genesis and the ring generally resembles the design of the system? Very clever of them.

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Jesse, Let's Get Sweaty
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:33 am

Fist bit of gameplay from Sonic Mania. Yes, the new Zone definately looks like Sonic CD.
Funny and creative design, basing everything around a TV studio.

phpBB [video]

And let's not forget, that there was a third announcement today. This is just :lol:

phpBB [video]

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Jesse
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jesse » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:36 am

This is the first Sonic announcement that has piqued my interest in a long time. I thought Generations was a wonderful callback to both classic and modern Sonics. Mania looks like the Genesis sequel we've always wanted. I've read a few websites that say they're getting a Sonic Adventure 3 vibe from Project Sonic. I don't see it but then again it's early.

The last game in the series i played aside from Generations was Heroes. I thought Heroes was a fine game but not fantastic like SA 1 & 2. Here's hoping Sonic Team knock both of these out of the park.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:38 am

I'm looking forward to it, especially the 2D one. What could the 3D one be? Sonic Generations 2? :-k
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:12 am

Sega already more or less stated that the new game won't be Sonic Generations 2.
It's supposed to have all new levels, or at least be a completely fresh experience. Maybe they should've focused on Modern Sonic for this game and leave Classic Sonic to Mania.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:22 am

Maybe they should just jettison modern Sonic altogether and concentrate on the Sonic that people actually like?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Next

Return to General Gaming