Outcast: Second Contact

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Outcast: Second Contact

Postby Monkei » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:46 am

Outcast: Second Contact, a remake of the 1999-released cult PC game Outcast, will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in March 2017, Bigben Interactive and Appeal Studio announced.

The remake features “cutting-edge graphics and reworked controls.” Players take on the role of Cutter Slade as he explores the landscapes of Planet Adelpha in attempt to pierce its secrets in order to prevent a terrible catastrophe, and along the way uncover a number of things that will “surprise even fans of the original.”

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/outcast-second-contact-launches-march-2017-ps4-xbox-one-pc-first-screenshots

New footage to be shown at Gamescom apparently. I'm hyped. :D

Monkei has received a thanks from: KiBa
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Outcast: Second Contact

Postby Amir » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:58 am

I'm really hyped about this, shared it on reddit a week or so ago. I was looking forward to the first game for what seemed like ages when I was a kid. I was visiting family in Toronto when it came out, and me and my cousin would argue over who got to play on the PC. I got Outcast while he got the GOTY edition of some game called "Half-Life" which I was sure would soon be forgotten...

I backed the Kickstarter for the remake for this (only $60, though), was sad to see it not reach its goal so this really got me excited.

Amir has received a thanks from: Monkei
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Monkei » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:55 am

With projects like this, Shenmue III, Yooka-Laylee and Carmageddon: Max Damage (even though critics teared it apart, most likely rightfully so :lol: ) it really feels like my childhood is coming back.

I remember spending so much time in that snowy village at the beginning alone (second of the above screenshots), just running through the snow, feeling mind-blown by how awesome the water looked and how you could talk to everyone (you could talk to everyone, couldn't you? :D), and so on.. I loved all of the different areas, especially the foggy and watery fisherman one with those snake-like monsters popping out of the water.. this game was pure magic to me back then and felt like a true adventure. I'm aware of the nostalgia effect (I was a child after all, I hadn't played many games of that kind and was probably pretty easy to impress) and will keep my expectations low, but I think as long as the game runs well enough it'll be a blast to relive those memories. :heart:
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Thief » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:24 am

needs more André 3000

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:19 pm

Looks rad. Glad they decided to keep that late 90s art design. Was always one of cult classic PC games that I wanted to play but never got around to (another one being Pathologic, which is also getting remade in Unreal Engine by the original developers). This game is cyberpunk, correct?

Early 2017 is fucking stacked with games. I'll just have to take a sabbatical to play 'em all.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Amir » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:04 pm

I wouldn't call it cyberpunk, it's more of an old school story of a guy who ends up on an alien world trying to make his way back to Earth but helping the locals rise against their evil leader, like John Carter or Flash Gordon.

Amir has received a thanks from: OL
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Calshot » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:27 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Looks rad. Glad they decided to keep that late 90s art design. Was always one of cult classic PC games that I wanted to play but never got around to (another one being Pathologic, which is also getting remade in Unreal Engine by the original developers). This game is cyberpunk, correct?

Early 2017 is fucking stacked with games. I'll just have to take a sabbatical to play 'em all.

I remember Segata was telling everyone to play it.

It's on GOG. It never goes on sale, but it's only like $6 anyway.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Amir » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:20 am

Steam version goes on sale every once in a while.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:57 am

So the game got pushed back to Q3 2017, which isn't much of a surprise. We didn't really get to see much of it so far after all. I'm glad they're taking their time to polish it.

Hello everyone!

In a combined effort with our fellow community sites Planet Adelpha and Outcastii, we have asked Appeal for an opportunity to have a Q&A. They happily agreed and asked us to provide five questions in which they would reply. Of course, we have tried to ask the questions as diverse as we can. Read further below for the Q&A.

Question 1)
When will Outcast: Second Contact be released and when will we see the first trailer for the game?

It was at initially planned for a March 2017 release but we decided with BigBen, our publisher, to postpone the release to autumn. This allows us to modernize and polish many aspects of the game, such as graphics and gameplay, beyond mere remastering. For instance, combat mechanics and combat AI are currently being enhanced to match modern standards. We are also adding some in-game help systems to prevent the player getting lost in the huge amount of characters and locations he will discover.

Question 2)
Can you tell the fans anything about new features for Outcast: Second Contact?

One of the main area of enhancement is combats. For instance, Cutter’s gun bullets are now way faster, which increase a lot the feeling of control and power. Locomotion has also been revamped and when Cutter is aiming, the camera switches to a dedicated “over the shoulder” point of view that allows better aiming. Aiming (especially with a pad) and “aiming assist” have also been greatly improved.

Finally, the enemy AI is now more reactive. Indeed, in the original game, the combat AI had a tendency to keep the soldier frozen when they were hit by bullets. Now, they can escape such situations and are globally more reactive and mobile.

Question 3)
Can you tell us about the changes/improvements to the Outcast intro sequence and in-game cutscenes?

The original intro sequence that was done in CGI is now being replaced by a motion design animatic. The voices remain the same but the music that was done with synth in the original has been re-recorded by a synphonic orchestra as the in-game musics.

The in-game cutscenes are being redone with the new engine and with remastered HD assets, although the shots basically remain the same.

Question 4)
Will there be a Collector’s Edition for Outcast: Second Contact and can you tell us a bit what it will contain?

It’s definitely something we are looking at. We are currently evaluating all the possibilities. Our goal with such an edition, if we do it, will be to please our long lasting fans.

Question 5)
Will there ever be an Outcast 2 and can you tease us a bit of info or ideas about it?

For sure, there are plenty of other adventures Cutter could live! We already have tons of ideas thanks to the discussions we had with our fans and community leaders, and we will work on a detailed concept as soon as the current game is 100% polished.

So far the Q&A with Appeal. What do you think about the questions and answers they provided?
Share your ideas with us and let’s discuss them!
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:42 am

Good, gives me time to save up for a gaming PC :P
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:37 am

phpBB [video]

Well, I guess they did what they could with a limited budget. I don't see this scoring big financially or critically, but I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it nonetheless. :D
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:20 am

Yeah, was a little underwhelmed when I saw this last night, that lip-sync is worse than the original...

Will see how it looks closer to release.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:40 am

Still looking better than Mass Effect Andromeda though.. :p

Yeah, we'll see what six more months or so can do. Fingers crossed for a half-decent game at least.

Let's hope Shenmue III doesn't end up in a similar way.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KiBa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Can't wait. Huge Outcast fan since it was first announced for Dreamcast. When that port never panned out, I thoroughly loved playing the PC version for many years.

KiBa has received a thanks from: Monkei
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Amir » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:00 am

Well at least we'll get Outcast at E3 :) : https://www.facebook.com/appealstudios/ ... 6738497573
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to General Gaming