Last of Us Part II

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Last of Us Part II

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:04 am

Axm wrote:Guess what, I just watched a PSX panel with Joel and Ellie's voice actors and Neil Druckman.
Turns out they started working on the game 2 years ago. Now I would say a 2018 release is in the bag for us. 3-4 years is a long time. More than alot of games, especially a sequel on easier to develop for hardware and a dev team that knows what they are doing.

I watched that as well. I thought they said that they shot the motion for that trailer two years ago but the way they made it sound was that development of the game hadn't started two years ago. Neil Druckman was co-lead on Uncharted 4 so I imagine they didn't start LoU2 until earlier this year.

If they have been working on it a bit for two years though then maybe 2018 isn't as far fetched.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:54 pm

phpBB [video]

Still no gameplay. I kinda wish they'd go away for a bit as I can't see anything earlier then a 2019 release otherwise there would have been a big 2018 at the end.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:18 pm

I think they could easily blow everyone out of the water by saving all the meaty content and release date until E3. I still think a late 2018 release is possible. Maybe October fitting the scary theme.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm

I love The Last of Us, and I'm obviously looking forward to the sequel (even if I do kind of think the story should have ended with the first game), but I have to say this newest trailer/teaser/scene did pretty much nothing for me. That's not a knock against the game, like it's going to suck or anything; at this point, it'd be pretty dumb to doubt Naughty Dog.
I just think, if they want to generate any kind of hype (which shouldn't be hard to do), trailers/teasers/scenes like this are a pretty poor way of going about it. It features no previous characters, shows nothing of gameplay, is overall pretty slow and visually uninteresting, and the only thing striking about it is one or two messed-up acts of violence.
Funny thing, even though The Last of Us was post-apocalyptic and featured zombies, I barely think of it as horror when I think back on it, nor is the realism or disturbing nature of its violence even the most memorable part. The Last of Us was impactful because of its characters, the arcs they go through, the drama that stems from it all. The violence is important toward getting them into those places, sure, but it's not really the thing to be showcased outside of gameplay.
I would think, if you were making any kind of showing for the sequel, the most meaningful thing you could do is actually show us something of Joel and Ellie. Don't have to spoil anything, necessarily, just bank more on them being the real point of interest among fans. I'm not interested in a bunch of random characters I've never seen before, and I'm pretty numb when it comes to violence among people like that. But show me people I know, people I'm already interested in, and the hype level goes up.
The first teaser from however many months back was downright excellent in that regard.
But this?
It's one big "meh."

But then again, they could show us literally nothing but a logo and release the game tomorrow, and it would still sell a shit ton of copies. So hey, what do I know?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:35 pm

With regard to the game's setting, Druckmann confirmed, as suspected, a large portion of it takes place in Seattle. He also gave a rough estimate of Naughty Dog's progress on the game, saying, "we've handed off a bunch of levels.... We're like 50 to 60 percent? I don't know how far."

As far as when fans will get a new look at the game, Druckmann confirmed footage will be shown at E3 2018.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/12/10/p ... ls-setting

This is one of those where I could happily see nothing else. I know what it will play like so I'm ready to just jump in.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to General Gaming