Hideki Kamiya's Action RPG game Scalebound cancelled

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Hideki Kamiya's Action RPG game Scalebound cancelled

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Did think this game looked like a mess to be honest whenever it was shown, saddened that such a talented team wasted 4 years on such a large failure of a project. I feel bad for Platinum Games now, hope this doesn't crater them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... ent-ceased

Microsoft are such a mess this generation.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Hideki Kamiya's Action RPG game Scalebound cancelled

Postby OL » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Ha!
Hate to laugh too much, because yeah, it sucks when a ton of work goes into something only for it to fall apart, sure. A lot of people involved. But the game looked like a bunch of dumb, random junk to me either way. And Kamiya is a bit of a stuck up dick anyway.
I doubt it means the game is completely out of the picture though. Microsoft may have dropped it, but depending on the circumstances, I wouldn't set aside the possibility of someone else picking it up, especially if it was almost done.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:25 pm

I think they stretched themselves too thin to be honest. They aren't a big studio and they've taken on a ton of licensed jobs in the past few years. Can't blame them after having released 101 and Bayonetta 2 on Wii-U. They were probably hurting for money after weak sales of both. Platinum IP's are great, including Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2, but their licensed stuff was garbage. You could tell they didn't even really try, its not up to their standards. All the side projects probably hurt Scalebound the most.

That Nier 2 demo though..... they still got it.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Holy cow.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:03 pm

OL wrote: Ha!
Hate to laugh too much, because yeah, it sucks when a ton of work goes into something only for it to fall apart, sure. A lot of people involved. But the game looked like a bunch of dumb, random junk to me either way. And Kamiya is a bit of a stuck up dick anyway.
I doubt it means the game is completely out of the picture though. Microsoft may have dropped it, but depending on the circumstances, I wouldn't set aside the possibility of someone else picking it up, especially if it was almost done.

Word going around is that Microsoft did shop the game to other publishers to take it off their hands and nobody was interested.

And I kinda feel bad for Kamiya since the other thing that people are saying is that Kamiya is taking time off work with mental health issues now. You can imagine after pretty much 4 years making a game that never comes to fruition would burn you out big time. I do agree the game looked like a mess though.

Raithos wrote: I think they stretched themselves too thin to be honest. They aren't a big studio and they've taken on a ton of licensed jobs in the past few years. Can't blame them after having released 101 and Bayonetta 2 on Wii-U. They were probably hurting for money after weak sales of both. Platinum IP's are great, including Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2, but their licensed stuff was garbage. You could tell they didn't even really try, its not up to their standards. All the side projects probably hurt Scalebound the most.

That Nier 2 demo though..... they still got it.

Supposedly Scalebound was their biggest project yet, taking up around half of Platinum Games. Whatever happens to those who were working on it now is anybody's guess, probably will be some lay offs to downsize. Nier: Automata is also basically done, so that's probably around 2/3 of PG with nothing to do now (the remaining members of PG are making that Matsuno RPG for mobile and that anime licensed game for PS4). Hope they have a new contract at the ready...
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:43 am

I am so disappointed to hear this, it was one of the biggest selling points in me buying an xbone at the time, both this and phantom dust. Xbox, you disappoint me with your 1st party games this gen...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Monkei » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:27 am

Raithos wrote:but their licensed stuff was garbage.

I recently played through Transformers: Devastation (which came with PS Plus), that was pretty damn fun. Certainly not one of Platinum's best products, but far from garbage. Give it a try if you like their other stuff! :)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:56 am

From what I have read. MS forced multiplayer on the game which caused issues. This is the same thing that happened to Phantom Dust reboot. It was to be a multi player online game that MS insisted on. I wonder if Crackdown 3 is next after Stormlands,Fable Legends,Phantom Dust and now Scalebound. :???:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Monkei » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:19 am

IGN wrote:Jan, 10 2017
Microsoft Deletes Mentions of Scalebound From Its Websites
"Scale-what? No idea what you're talking about."
by Joe Skrebels

Microsoft has removed mentions of Scalebound from its website, and removed all trailers for the game from its primary YouTube channel.

Following the in-development action-RPG's surprise cancellation, it appears Microsoft is now scrubbing it from any of its official web outlets.

The game's official page on Xbox.com now redirects to the site's homepage (although its Microsoft Store entry remains live), and trailers, gameplay demos and conference showings have been taken down or made private on YouTube.

It's an unusual reaction - entries for other recently cancelled Microsoft exclusives such as Fable Legends and the Phantom Dust remake can still be found on both its website and YouTube channel.

There's speculation that Microsoft's enigmatic answer as to who owns the rights to the game - "we do not comment on the details of our business agreements with partners" - could mean that developer PlatinumGames will now shop Scalebound around to other potential publishers. If that is the case, Microsoft might be keen to divest itself of any connection to the game.

Indeed, Platinum is still hosting trailers and a website for the game at time of writing. We have contacted both Microsoft and Platinum for comment.

I could actually see either Nintendo or, and that might be more likely, one of the bigger third parties pick it up..
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Raithos » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 am

Monkei wrote:
Raithos wrote:but their licensed stuff was garbage.

I recently played through Transformers: Devastation (which came with PS Plus), that was pretty damn fun. Certainly not one of Platinum's best products, but far from garbage. Give it a try if you like their other stuff! :)

For me it is compared to their own work. With that said, both Transformers and TNMT are worth playing if you are a fan of the franchises. Especially given their prices. Fun little action games, just nothing to write home about. TNMT actually got pulled from PSN/XBL/Steam recently though. Along with some other Activision titles.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Fair enough!
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ziming » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Scalebound Cancellation Is "Better for Xbox Gamers," Says Xbox Boss
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/scaleb ... 0-6446769/
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:08 am

Thanks CEO guy for telling us whats better for us...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:32 pm

I don't really think anyone at Microsoft has an actual grasp of what's better for Xbox gamers these days..
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to General Gaming