Xenoblade 2

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Xenoblade 2

Postby shredingskin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:20 am

Riku Rose wrote: Everytime there was any single piece of Final Fantasy XV news we had to put up with your constant moaning about how you didn’t like the look of it yet you don’t like people saying it about a game you like the look of...

I still get salty/depressed every time I see the trailers of versus :cry:
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby south carmain » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:51 am

You know a game is lacking in plot when they make up for it with "plot"

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Rakim
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Thief » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:48 pm

south carmain wrote: You know a game is lacking in plot when they make up for it with "plot"

yeah he must work out

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby King John Blaze » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks for the heads up guys. I have not got a Switch yet but chances are if I got it early this would be a game I would get pretty quickly. I have been very mixed on what I have seen so far. Not really a big fan of JRPGs, mainly because I have not really played them. Furthermore, what I have seen of this game, nothing has excited me or made me take notice.

However, the media and most forums have been hyping this up. I have pretty much ignored mainstream media reviews as it seems like a game they will overhype, but a few trusted sites and YouTubers have commented how they like this game which is in stark contrast to what has been said on this forum so far.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:56 pm

My entire Xeno collection as of today! We Have Xenogears, Xenosaga I, Xenosaga II, Xenosaga III, Xenoblade Chronicles, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (still brand new and factory sealed), Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Switch Pro Controller (sealed), Xenosaga Episode I movie DVD Pre-order bonus for Xenosaga II, Xenosaga III Pre-Order Bonus Art Book, Xenoblade Chronicles X Limited Edition Strategy Guide (sealed), Xenoblade Chronicles X Special Edition (sealed), Xenoblade Chroniclees 1 Art book, and finally Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Special Edition (sealed).

I caved and decided to pick up the Xenoblade 2 Pro Controller because they were are sold out everywhere and my GameStop had a couple left and I knew they wouldnt last much longer.

What I wish I had for this collection, well there is 1 thing missing that should be there and thats the pre-order bonus for Xenosaga I and that is the still frame art of Shion/KOS-MOS that was never given to me by GameStop alllll the back in 2002, back then some times you got the pre-order bonus, some times you didnt, also I learned the remedy to this was to pre-order through the gamestop website and you always received the pre-order bonus, bummer. The Xenogears and Xenosaga I-III strategy guides, im still not entirely sure why I didnt buy them back in the day but for what ever reason I did not. Now the mother load of my wishes for this collection Xenogears Perfect Works artbook/timeline/lore guide, I had the opportunity to buy it at a local anime convention back in the early 2000s and I passed it up because it was $90 (and even more now) but I regret not picking it up as its the holy grail of all things Xeno, and to accompany that purchase I wish I had bought the Xenoblade Chronicles hard cover art book/works which was also very nice.

Anyway I am very proud of this collection and I am honestly shocked but also very grateful that this series is even still around, it all started with one of my favorite games of all time in Xenogears and some how has not gone away and it as strong as its ever been with Nintendo now. Crazy to see the evolution of this series considering Xenogears could have easily been the only game, if not had never existed at all.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:31 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Image

I'm beginning to think you like things with Xeno in the name.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:34 pm

phpBB [video]

Seems like a lot of people are not really enjoying the game, which is probably the place I'll be if I buy it since I like JRPGs for their story/visuals, and I can't even finish "good ones".

I wanted to buy the game before 2018 arrives because they're going to start taxing digital games, but fuck it. It doesn't look worth it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby King John Blaze » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:32 am

shredingskin wrote:
phpBB [video]

Seems like a lot of people are not really enjoying the game, which is probably the place I'll be if I buy it since I like JRPGs for their story/visuals, and I can't even finish "good ones".

I wanted to buy the game before 2018 arrives because they're going to start taxing digital games, but fuck it. It doesn't look worth it.

I watched the same video which was the final nail in the coffin for me. I'll give this one a pass.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Raithos » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:04 am

Just like the previous two, the opening of the game is very easy. He said he's about 10 hours in. You only auto attack basic moves, you have to manually do your arts/magic for your MC. The further along you get, the more the difficulty ramps up. To the point to where if you don't stagger you will literally do 1 hp of damage to them. You will 100% not auto attack your way through any of these lol. Watching his game play, he's not using cancel arts or triggering any blade combos. He's just waiting for each cool down instead of doing what the game taught him.

JRPG's vary so much from title to title, and not everyone is going to like this game. But its almost universally praised. I'm 40-ish hours in and the story, characters and world are great. Not saying that everyone who plays it will like it, but I've watched his videos for awhile now. Ever since he was on Scottsquatch's flea market videos. Not for a second did I think he was going to like Xenoblade lol. Just based on the game he does like.

Not saying you two will like it, especially if you don't finish other RPG's, but you shouldn't base your judgment off his video. Watch some people who actually know what they are doing with the combat because the story and the world they've built are awesome.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Thief
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Thief » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 pm

I haven't played it in over a week because I've been busy, but this guy in the video is just straight up not far enough yet for the difficulty to ramp up, and also does not understand how to play the game. Like Raithos said, you need to understand how to cancel into arts and use combos otherwise you will just straight up lose. Battles only take long for him because he isn't playing correctly. It's not entirely his fault, since tutorials cannot be revisited... but the game really isn't that complicated.

The game has its flaws, but IMO the game is pretty good. The voice acting is pretty great, although some characters aren't that great (like Pyra and Mythra). But I especially like the Welsh cat girl. It's also very cinematic and the cut-scenes are directed pretty well. The game's side-quests are still stupid and should be ignored unless you like doing pointless bullshit, but they are easily ignored. The map system is confusing as fuck but not as bad as it was in Xenoblade Chronicles X. And lastly, the blade randomness system is stupid and never should have existed. It's basically lootboxes without real money, which is just pointless all around--designed to waste your time... but it wasn't built that way to make the developers extra money.... so why is it there?!

Anyway, I don't really like JRPGs that much anymore... like not really at all... and this is enjoyable for me. It feels like a game that would have come out on the PS2 or something. So take that for what you will. If it interests you, I'd get it... or don't. But it's not a bad game.

Thief has received a thanks from: Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Raithos wrote: Just like the previous two, the opening of the game is very easy. He said he's about 10 hours in.

I know next to nothing about the game, so no actual criticism of it here, but I do have to say: if ten freaking hours in is considered too early for someone to have a legitimate opinion on it, then I'd call that a problem with the game itself, personally. Sure, some games can stretch on for hundreds of hours in some cases, but ten hours is still a hefty chunk of time to spend sitting down with any game anyway. If the game hasn't made its identity known by then, there are some major pacing problems.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Normally I agree with you OL, but his main issues were difficulty and battles taking too long. It’s not uncommon for games to have a difficulty curve that ramps up as people get accustomed to the game and if he understood the mechanics the battles wouldn’t take long.

Not saying this is a good analogy, but if someone plays Mario 64, for instance, for 10 hours, but fails to get more than 5 stars, how seriously should one take a negative review given as a result?

EDIT: the only reason I mention this is because I think his video is largely misrepresentative of what the game is actually like. I think most people who enjoy JPGs will like the game and it’s worth looking into further, despite this video.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:33 am

Ah, gotcha. I didn't watch the video (I mostly avoid random gamer shite on youtube), I was just going by the ten hour statement.
But yeah, if it's like you say, sometimes it really is just a case of some gamers not bothering to actually get better at something. I know whenever I see a review on Steam and the first thing someone whines about is difficulty, I immediately cease to take the review seriously. So yeah, gotcha.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:49 am

A lot of people share the opinion of "it's ok" (but give hints of not really enjoying it), even guys with +50 hours. Most of them say that the combat is not really fun, that the sidequests are pretty much all chores and that the game is generally slow (and some performance issues).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Previous

Return to General Gaming