Why are today's game players so negative?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Why are today's game players so negative?

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:01 pm

I think the internet has just made everyone think their opinion is important.

I used to be a waiter and maître d' and you could spot the people who would go home and write a review about their meal on Trip Advisor a mile away. They thought they were a professional critic writing for a newspaper and didn't let themselves just enjoy the meal but spent the entire time trying to nitpick so they had something to write about.

I think most people now go into games looking for things to bring up on forums/twitter etc and don't just sit down and enjoy a game like they used to.

Also American culture seems to be slipping into the rest of the world due to the world becoming more open. Americans have always been seen as very extreme by the rest of the world, from food to politics it's always go overboard or go home. No one can just find a game ok anymore, if it got an 8.7 IGN are idiots for hating it and don't like good games because it didn't get a 10. If people love something they have to love it and everything about it and the same the other way round with hating it.

I don't think gamers as a whole are more negative these days I just think there are more platforms for people to think their opinion matters and the loud minority make it hard to hear the rest. There may be 50,000 online who complain Uncharted 4 is a stupid generic game but the game sold 8.7 million copies and most probably played it and never said a thing about it online.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: KidMarine, SickOctopus
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Previous

Return to General Gaming