Why are today's game players so negative?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Himuro » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:51 pm

This includes me. I used to be brimming with positivity and loved games. But it feels like game discussions these days is nothing but a series of complaining endlessly and never being able to appreciate things. Maybe it has always been like that and the problem is magnified even more during these modern times but I've been using gaming forums since 1999 and I don't recall game players ever being so negative CONSTANTLY. Why is this mindset imposed on so many people including many at the Dojo? It feels like nothing satisfies people in this hobby now. What happened?
Last edited by Himuro on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Re: Why are today's game players so negative?

Postby sand4fish » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:08 pm

I guess now it's the right time for me to say to you that you must accept Jesus in your life. ;-)

sand4fish has received a thanks from: myshtuff
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:15 pm

sand4fish wrote: I guess now it's the right time for me to say to you that you must accept Jesus in your life. ;-)

But Yu Suzuki is already in my life.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby myshtuff » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:31 pm

I've been thinking about this a decent amount lately as well. I feel like over the years game companies have continuously screwed their audiences more and more with things like DLC or incomplete games and people are starting to get sick of it. I'm sure some of it comes down to nostalgia and looking back on the past with Rosey glasses but I don't think game companies are as creative anymore either. That's why my favorite game company is always going to be sega until the mid 2000s. I felt like every time I picked up a sega game I was experiencing something new. Whether it be Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Super Monkey Ball, shenmue, or any other creative game. I still play games to this day but I just feel like it's the same recycled bullshit over and over again. It's funny actually. A friend of mine was asking me today whether I was going to get the Nintendo switch or eventually a PS4 because I haven't bought a new console in forever. Instead I ended up buying more Dreamcast games off eBay and I know I'm going to look forward to those games more than anything else that will come out this year. I would like to think I'm definitely more positive than the average gamer and willing to give things a chance but I'm definitely more selective now with what I spend my money on. I also think this is why the Indie scene is booming now because it's filled with games that are something different.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Himuro » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Switch is partly what prompted this. Certainly so far there's some legitimate complaints, but pretty much every person who has given hands on impressions with the machine says it's the real thing and a wonderful little machine, that the concept is original, the controller is really flexible and comfortable, and the games are really fun. But that isn't satisfying people and they're taking legitimate concerns into a full on trolls full of negativity spelling the end of Nintendo. It's ridiculous.

I'm not saying people shouldn't express their opinions but so many opinions today surrounding games is steeped in hyperbole and extremes that it's so easy to fall into the trap yourself without being conscious of it. All the endless complaining. I used to be so pragmatic. So were many other people I know.

What in the world is going on?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Maybe it's just because we're adults now so like to bitch more?

south carmain has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Himuro » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:20 pm

south carmain wrote: Maybe it's just because we're adults now so like to bitch more?

Maybe but we've gotten to a point where bitching about inane things is considered normal rather than abnormal.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Could be that nowadays the improvements seem minimal compared to a decade or so ago therefore that feeling of magic and amazement in the industry is gone for most of us now.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Thief » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:27 pm

I think being negative is good, it means you appreciate what's actually good and don't settle for worthless crap. It's having an awareness of quality. Kids don't have this, which is why we liked more shit when we were younger. Be grateful that you're able to criticize.

Thief has received a thanks from: Mr357
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:18 pm

The Dojo has always had some degree of this as far back as I can remember. And it comes down to things changing and not being like they used to be/the way we prefer it. Also what Thief said.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby KidMarine » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:26 pm

It's not just games. People complain and nitpick about movies, comic books, TV shows etc non-stop too. People just complain. When there's nothing to complain about they just make shit up. It's beyond me.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: OL
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:49 am

It's partially the huge industry its become and partially us all growing up and learning more about how the world works.
When we were kids our parents bought us games, likely very few of them and we were grateful for that so we played with a different level of appreciation.
Once we were old enough to start making our own money to buy them we became more critical because its our hard earned money being put to the test.

Some of the attraction I have to Shenmue and the Dreamcast is because its something I worked my ass off mowing lawns and cleaning pools for during summer as a freshman in High School.
When I experienced it I said to myself it was all worth the hassle and it really was! Nothing has ever captured that satisfaction since.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:13 am

Pretty much because it's internet language.

Most of the people in real life would go "meh, this is kinda shitty", and online they just go rampage mode. It's also how news work, how clickbait works, and some marketing strategies work. Most people don't really have a medium/means/relevance to be "heard" so they scream at the only outlet that gives them the illusion of doing so.

Also there's a lot of competition, we are more aware of money, we have access to more information (specially for gamers).

And also things in the industry are kinda stagnant. And gaming is a hobby that actually requires quite a lot of time, so people get more invested and that can make people feel more attached/emotional about the subject.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Kintor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:04 am

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the negativity. As far as I'm concerned the gaming community is 'working as intended'.

Let's not forget that the ideology of the Sega fanbase has its basis in attack ads:

phpBB [video]

Ever since Sega broke Nintendo's stranglehold on the market there has always been an aggressive edge to the gaming community. Arguments over which hardware and which games are better is what the Console Wars have always been about. And so it shall remain until there is only one gaming platform left in the world.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonikku » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:21 am

A hundred years ago we would be complaining about awful and unsafe working conditions, limited heat, limited food etc. These days we have all of these things. So now we complain about the imperfections and curious design choices in our games instead.

phpBB [video]

Sonic is very serious business.

Sonikku has received 3 thanks from: myshtuff, sand4fish, St. Elmo's Fire
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Next

Return to General Gaming