Trying to fall in love with games again

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Trying to fall in love with games again

Postby Himuro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Thief, good Reddit thread on how I feel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/com ... ou_behind/

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, Thief
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby myshtuff » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Here are some of my favorites that I really enjoyed in recent years.

Alan Wake
Arkham Knight
Bioshock series
Doom
Limbo
Mass Effect Series
The Wolf Among Us
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:57 pm

I think Gravity Rush Remastered sounds like a good choice. Still one of my favourite games on both Vita AND PS4. Ratchet & Clank remake on PS4 also looks like a good time as well for something more light that will just delight rather than frustrate.

If you're going in hardcore then yeah SMT: Apocalypse, Nioh, Yakuza 0, Bloodborne, Muramasa, Dark Souls 3, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided... that kind of thing. These kind of games make your blood boil a bit, haha.

Something in the middle that works also sometimes will be stuff in the adventure game genre like Virtue's Last Reward, Dangan Ronpa (PS4 port of 1 and 2 coming out soon, I think), Telltale adventure games like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us (what a story). Adventure games like those aren't appreciated enough as a genre nowadays, imo, they have their niche and they're very passionate about them like me but they deserve more.

I also think if you want a short RPG experience that is very good, you cannot go wrong with Crimson Shroud on 3DS eShop from Yasumi Matsuno. It's a really well designed game from start to finish and is a nice, short experience that is very different from other "JRPGs" (mechanics are fresh, going for that tabletop RPG experience) and yet very familiar at the same time but feels so good. Anybody who has fallen out of love with RPGs and has a 3DS, I will always recommend that game, it really is a fine gem from one of the masters of the genre that has sadly been overlooked.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Okay, after reading your posts I think the game you might be looking for the PS4 is The Last Guardian. It's not long, it's Japanese and you will not find a game quite like it elsewhere.

The Souls' series might be a bit overrated in terms of difficulty, but really amazing in atmosphere, art direction and level design. If you are tired of the medieval fantasy setting I can suggest you Bloodborne instead, and it's an exclusive too. And if you looking for a solid adventure game play Until Dawn. Might as well say it is the future of the genre. Also you should be on the lookout for Nier Automata, as it looks like your cup of tea.

If you are looking for something amazing on the go, play The Last Express and Ghost Trick (if you are using IOS). They are the most underrated original adventure games ever and they are proper games that just happen to be ported to the mobile (from PC and Nintendo DS respectively).

sand4fish has received a thanks from: OL
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Already played Crimson Shroud and Ghost Trick. Never even heard of Last Express.

Adventure games are great. VLR is on my list and I've never played Higurashi or Daganrampa. I'll add Until Dawn and TLG.

Lots of great suggestions in here.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Monkei » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:04 am

Himuro wrote:Daganrampa.

You could have put a little more effort into that spelling challenge. :p

I'm a big fan of the Telltale games, too and strongly recommend Tales from the Borderlands. It's their best one yet, as far as my taste goes anyway. Other than that - The Walking Dead seasons 1&2 and The Wolf Among Us. The third Walking Dead season looks very promising so far, too. The other series' quality levels vary from okayish to lame. Minecraft should be avoided at all costs and in order to enjoy Batman you should at least sniff some glue first - and that's certainly not for everybody.

These games aren't really adventures like they used to make them back in the day though, they're more like interactive stories. If you like yourself some good old pointing and clicking and solving you should check out Machinarium, Broken Age and King's Quest.

By the way, you guys got me really hyped for Gravity Rush. That game has been sitting on my PS4 for months now, waiting to finally leave that backlog zone.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:51 pm

If you like strategy RPGs at all, consider Valkyria Chronicles (available on PC now.)

It's made by the remnants of Sega Overworks, and has that Skies of Arcadia optimism going for it, albeit a very different game obviously. It's a mix of real time and turn based and a really endearing experience imo.

All the other recommendations herein are of course excellent.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Himuro » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:20 pm

Monkei wrote:
Himuro wrote:Daganrampa.

You could have put a little more effort into that spelling challenge. :p

I'm a big fan of the Telltale games, too and strongly recommend Tales from the Borderlands. It's their best one yet, as far as my taste goes anyway. Other than that - The Walking Dead seasons 1&2 and The Wolf Among Us. The third Walking Dead season looks very promising so far, too. The other series' quality levels vary from okayish to lame. Minecraft should be avoided at all costs and in order to enjoy Batman you should at least sniff some glue first - and that's certainly not for everybody.

These games aren't really adventures like they used to make them back in the day though, they're more like interactive stories. If you like yourself some good old pointing and clicking and solving you should check out Machinarium, Broken Age and King's Quest.

By the way, you guys got me really hyped for Gravity Rush. That game has been sitting on my PS4 for months now, waiting to finally leave that backlog zone.

I loved Walking Dead season 1! I waited for season 2 to finish because I heard it wasn't as good but still haven't played it yet.

You're right about Danganronpa. I wasn't even close! Good suggestions!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Previous

Return to General Gaming