Your HD remaster cravings?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Your HD remaster cravings?

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:
10. Image

Which game is your number 10, the Saturn game?

It is the original Devil Summoner (Shin Megami Tensei series game). In it you play as a private detective returned back to life after being killed by a serial killer and find a plot involving the Yakuza, demons and the activities of the serial killer and his motives and seek a way to get revenge against him. It has the hallmarks of the other SMT games such as demon fusion and a dark moody setting with nice art, tough boss battles and fast turn based battles. It's also the first Devil Summoner game and I've played the others so I want this one in English too.
It is the game that spawned sequels like Soul Hackers and the Raidou Kuzunoha games on PS2. Without it we wouldn't have the Persona series either since its reception was the reason why Atlus started doing more SMT spin off series in the first place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Mega ... l_Summoner

south carmain wrote: ^I have a feeling that we might possibly get a MGS remake after MGS survive

It's the MSX2 (2D) games which were prequels to MGS1 that I want in 3D. I want to see Zanzibar Land, Big Boss vs Solid Snake and Gray Fox vs Solid Snake on a minefield in 3D for the first time!

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: John Doom, Monkei, redline
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Xenosaga I-III

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby John Doom » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:It's the MSX2 (2D) games which were prequels to MGS1 that I want in 3D. I want to see Zanzibar Land, Big Boss vs Solid Snake and Gray Fox vs Solid Snake on a minefield in 3D for the first time!

:) Ah, good ol' Zanzibar Land! I remember we discussed about this on thesnakesoup.org (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums/Thread-W ... ic-remakes) , but we kind of agreed that whatever remake Konami could make of the classic titles, they would probably disappoint us one way or another, not to mention they may potentially add even more retcons to the series (especially after MGS5). I actually wanted to include Metal Gear 2 in my list but, all in all, it's already a game with some fine 2D graphics, memorable songs, good controls, nice gameplay and interesting characters, I think it can stand on its own even by today's standards :) (Metal Gear Ghost Babel, though, could definitely use new redrawn graphics :???: ).
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby OL » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Ha, I was just thinking about making this very same topic the other day. :D
(images in spoilers)

Haunting Ground (PS2) - One of the absolute most underrated/underappreciated/under-recognized games of the 128-bit era. Phenomenal game as a whole, but even more than that, it's also an incredibly gorgeous one as well. This has to be one of the most AAA-looking obscurities in existence, containing all the glossy flair that Capcom releases tended to have during that era, but with an interesting sense of class all its own. Just about the only drawback of its visuals is the hardware it happened to be on, which was fine at the time, but in retrospect makes it suffer from a serious case of the jaggies.
And what point is there to a remaster if not to simply accentuate the beauty a game already had? That's why remasters like the Ico/SotC collection and MGS collections are so good; the visual design was already excellent, they just needed stronger hardware to bring it out further. That being the case, Haunting Ground ought to have been the perfect candidate for remaster. And giving more people the opportunity to play it would be a nice extra (it's oddly rare/expensive in the US, so its fanbase remains small).

ImageImageImage

Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (PS2) - Another unfortunately underrated game on the PS2, and easily one of my favorites on the system (if not the absolute winner in that regard). In my eyes -- and I've been saying this for years -- it did everything for the Onimusha series that Resident Evil 4 did for RE, yet it never got the same level of respect and acclaim that RE4 got. Never understood that.
Anyway, the art design is phenomenal and, just like Haunting Ground, is mostly only held back by an extreme case of jaggies. The game actually shipped on two discs (a rarity for games of the era), which I've always suspected was because of the abundance of varying visual elements. Also, the cinematic cutscenes are squeezed down into these little spaces on screen to facilitate the fact that they're intended to be widescreen, yet the game didn't actually offer widescreen support. Really neuters what should be some of the prettiest in-game movies of the 128-bit era. It would be amazing to see that issue ironed out.
I would absolutely lose my shit if a remaster of this were made.

ImageImageImage

Front Mission 5 (PS2) - I've never actually played this one, but god dammit, I want to. Part of why I'd want a remaster; I think in this day and age, if Square actually went to the effort of remastering an old PS2 game like this, it'd be practically guaranteed to make its way abroad of Japan. And dammit, from all I've seen, the Front Mission series has never looked as good as it did in this game (it looks even better in motion), and I want the friggin chance to experience it.
I know there's a fan translation out there and all that, but I'm dopey with that stuff, so just give me something official (spoiler: it'll never happen). In my mind, this is the most important Square-developed game that was never localized. That ought to be remedied.

ImageImageImage

Otogi 1 & 2 (Xbox) - I'll just make this simple: pretty much every Front Software game ought to get a remaster. Grand majority of them have serious visual merits in one way or another, but the Otogi series has always stood out to me as their best, pre-Demon's Souls. It's the series that made me first take notice of their name, and recognize it in other places.
It's always been incredible to me how deftly they manage to make a game so colorful, yet still have a solid tone of bleakness throughout. It's always a beautiful thing to see, and Otogi deserves a bit of new love.

ImageImageImage

Maybe I'll bring up more later (there are indeed many).

OL has received 3 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Monkei, Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:43 am

Shenmue 1&2
Knights of the Old Republic
Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
Jet Set Radio
Dino Crisis

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Oh shit yeah, Front Mission is my favourite Squaresoft/Square-Enix series so I'd love a Front Mission Collection of some kind (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & some of the spin offs), re-release FM2 and FM5 into English this time and include 2089 1 and 2 as well (since they looked really cool as well; continuation of the pixel art from FM1 and Front Mission 1st). Alas, this isn't Kingdom Hearts so it would never receive such collections like KH received.
Maybe for the 25th Anniversary in 2020? A man can dream.

I'd also love to see Onimusha series get the same treatment that Devil May Cry got. Dunno why Capcom only gave DMC the love there, thought I'd see Onimusha get the same treatment but nope. Which sucks. Also, how many Marvel vs Capcom games do we have to get before any of the Onimusha characters appear in any of then. I get it with Samanosuke due to character likeness but shit, at least put Nobunaga Oda or the characters from Dawn of Dreams in there or something.

I'd love to see Otogi HD remastered as well. Such beautiful games. A lot of the OG Xbox games I'd like to see such as Panzer Dragoon Orta and Breakdown as well.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Otogi is so good. Gosh the Xbox was such a great system.

Henry Spencer wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:
10. Image

Which game is your number 10, the Saturn game?

It is the original Devil Summoner (Shin Megami Tensei series game). In it you play as a private detective returned back to life after being killed by a serial killer and find a plot involving the Yakuza, demons and the activities of the serial killer and his motives and seek a way to get revenge against him. It has the hallmarks of the other SMT games such as demon fusion and a dark moody setting with nice art, tough boss battles and fast turn based battles. It's also the first Devil Summoner game and I've played the others so I want this one in English too.
It is the game that spawned sequels like Soul Hackers and the Raidou Kuzunoha games on PS2. Without it we wouldn't have the Persona series either since its reception was the reason why Atlus started doing more SMT spin off series in the first place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Mega ... l_Summoner

south carmain wrote: ^I have a feeling that we might possibly get a MGS remake after MGS survive

It's the MSX2 (2D) games which were prequels to MGS1 that I want in 3D. I want to see Zanzibar Land, Big Boss vs Solid Snake and Gray Fox vs Solid Snake on a minefield in 3D for the first time!

MG1 and 2 need more love. MG2 was so ahead of its time.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Raithos » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:15 pm

From the OG Box I'd want to see Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta and JSRF. Most of everything else I could think of has been listed lol. It would be awesome if we could get the Growlanser games ported over to new consoles. I think Heritage of War is on PSN as a PS2 classic but Generations isn't.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Onimusha 2 is one of the best ps2 games. Still hasn't been remastered in hd. :(
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Mr357 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Many of the titles I would list have already been mentioned, so I'll throw in some new ones.

Burning Rangers - Never saw the light of day outside of the Saturn, and could be improved upon significantly with technical fixes alone.

(Omikron: ) The Nomad Soul - A "flawed gem" that still holds tons of untapped potential. Time and budget restraints kept it from being as polished as it should have been, but a remake could turn it into a masterpiece.

Thief 1 & 2 - Absolutely legendary games within the stealth genre that could be even better with improved AI and controls.

System Shock 2 - With the success of the Kickstarter for Night Dive's System Shock 1 remake, an eventual remake of the sequel is logical. I don't think it could happen before the release of System Shock 3 though.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Himuro wrote:Onimusha 2 is one of the best ps2 games. Still hasn't been remastered in hd. :(

^^They can't, really, since it (and the first game) featured pre-rendered backgrounds that were specifically created for a 4:3 aspect ratio.
I suppose they could go the REmake and RE0 HD route and zoom the view to force it to fit 16:9, but I'm guessing they likely don't actually have the original 3D code used to create the backgrounds anymore; they'd probably have to pull them right off of a game disc. And with that stuff being set in stone, so to speak, zooming it would just make everything blurry and ugly (not to mention you'd sometimes be missing details at the top and bottom of the screens). It definitely wouldn't be the "HD" remaster we'd hoped for.
Another roadblock is likely the licensed likenesses of the protagonists. Re-releasing the games would probably require that extra fees be paid to Takeshi Kaneshiro and the estate of Yusaku Matsuda. Onimusha 3 would probably be no problem converting to HD since the graphics are all real-time, but including it would add even more fees since it featured Jean Reno.
It's a bummer, since the actual real-time 3D elements in those games look excellent, even today. Onimusha is one of my favorite series as a whole, so it would have been near the top of my list of desired HD remasters. But all this stuff makes it nigh-impossible, so I only mentioned Dawn of Dreams (which features nothing pre-rendered, features no licensed likenesses, and actually stands on its own pretty well, story-wise).

Henry Spencer wrote:Also, how many Marvel vs Capcom games do we have to get before any of the Onimusha characters appear in any of then. I get it with Samanosuke due to character likeness but shit, at least put Nobunaga Oda or the characters from Dawn of Dreams in there or something.

Actually, I do believe Soki from Dawn of Dreams was featured in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.
But yeah, that was a few years ago. Capcom has all but forgotten Onimusha by now, outside of whatever that mobile game they made was.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:13 pm

Just got Rez Infinite which is amazing. A couple weeks back I bought cosmic smash for DC. It would be awesome to have an HD update of that.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Oh right, never played Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Cool they put one Onimusha character in but still, it's a series that deserved to be in Marvel Vs Capcom, shame they never did. Same goes for Breath of Fire, dunno why they never put any characters from that series in there since it was Capcom's flagship RPG series at one point and Ryu is one of their most underrated characters (he can transform into a fucking Dragon for crying out loud! Don't get much more bad ass then that!)

Raithos wrote: From the OG Box I'd want to see Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta and JSRF. Most of everything else I could think of has been listed lol. It would be awesome if we could get the Growlanser games ported over to new consoles. I think Heritage of War is on PSN as a PS2 classic but Generations isn't.

I never realised there was anybody else on here who gave a fuck about Growlanser so never mentioned it. But yeah, a port of Growlanser IV (Wayfarer of Time) would be aces. V I wasn't the biggest fan of, honestly.

I honestly think Growlanser IV might actually be a top 3 JRPG I've ever played, honestly. Just a fantastic game out of Atlus's portfolio that too few have played because of the platform and that it was released right on the eve of PSP's demise. I'd love to see the original Growlanser re-released into English since it's the last one aside from VI which we never got and the first game is considered a bit of a cult classic in Japan.

The first four games feature pre-rendered backgrounds, so much like what Orange mentioned with the earlier Onimusha titles, there would be problems there with the aspect ratio, but I couldn't care less if it meant I could play them. 2 and 3 are probably a licensing nightmare between Working Designs (who published the games in NA on the PS2) vs. Atlus (who developed the games and bought out the developer who currently make the Devil Survivor games).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:28 pm

Onimusha, Kotor, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon Orta - nice choices.
I loved Kotor, never played any Onimusha (didn't have a PS2) or Panzer Dragoon Orta and had my will broken and lack of skill exposed by Otogi: Myth of Demons back then. Same happened with Gunvalkyrie. I'd love to give the Otogi games another chance in HD and with trophy support.

Henry Spencer wrote:It's the MSX2 (2D) games which were prequels to MGS1 that I want in 3D. I want to see Zanzibar Land, Big Boss vs Solid Snake and Gray Fox vs Solid Snake on a minefield in 3D for the first time!

Yeah, that's my dream, too. It would be the definition of epicness, especially Snake vs. Big Boss, now that Boss is such a fleshed out and beloved character. Don't know if Konami could pull that off in a satisfying way without Kojima though. Their smartest bet would probably be a remake of Metal Gear Solid at this point, or even a mere port of The Twin Snakes to test the waters. (Really don't know what they're thinking with that MGSurvive garbage.)
I'm wondering if Twin Snakes is still Nintendo-bound and if it would be possible at all. I'm also wondering about Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. If that could somehow come to PS4 I'd gladly take it.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm

I would really like remakes of the early Arc the Lad games.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming