Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

Postby Kintor » Tue May 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
phpBB [video]

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good...

Thanks for posting that. It's good to finally have a release date for Sonic Mania, not much longer now until that day.

King John Blaze wrote: I just think the whole franchise needs a rethink. The emphasis on speed limits game design and so far this looks like another sonic game where you hold the stick in one direction which is only occasionally interrupted by defeating a few enemies that literally present 0 challenge.

I played Sonic Adventures recently on the PS4 (that cloud gaming service) and boy has it not aged well, but I still remember it being one of my best Sonic experiences. Though a good game, I also remember being critical about Sonic Adventure 2's linear design.

Sonic games have never been focused on defeated enemies; they are more an optional obstacle that you can destroy if you want to increase your high score a little along the way. The emphasis on speed, the ability of the player to complete each level quickly and flawlessly, has always been at the core of Sonic games and I think that this is something that Sonic Generations captured perfectly. So to see the same again in Sonic Forces is good news, it's the return of an already proven and highly successful gameplay style that works for 3D Sonic games.

As for the Sonic Adventure comparison, you might want to take a close look at the Custom Hero gameplay. The levels design built around the character creator are a little different to the boost gameplay. Slower than modern Sonic, since the fan characters have to rely on a variety of gadgets and weapons to complete each level, while still being relatively fast-paced compared to other platforms. So, create a unique character for the fun of it and then enjoy the new gameplay style to compliment both the classic and modern Sonic gameplay.

Kintor has received a thanks from: King John Blaze
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:36 am

Data Discs, who made the Shenmue vinyl album (with translucent blue represses available from next week), are getting in early with their next Sega license:

https://twitter.com/datadiscs/status/878300767228133376

We are proud to announce the official SONIC MANIA LP! Gatefold sleeve with exclusive art + download code. Available from mid-July.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Kintor
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kintor » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:13 am

That's definitely a nice album; Data Discs always releases quality products. Of course, I still want to see a digital and/or CD release of Sonic Mania's (and Sonic Forces') OST, so that more people will be have access to the awesome music.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:15 am

If the head of Sonic Team discussing Forces and Mania with an interviewer who pulls no punches sounds like your bag, then you might enjoy this preview of both games.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:10 pm

An interesting note (or at least I think so) from the Data Discs newsletter about the Sonic Mania LP going on sale this weekend: "The release also includes a download code of the album in both lossy and lossless formats."

So you're getting official digital versions of the tracks as well as the vinyl record, which I believe is the first time they've done that.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiBa » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55 pm

OL wrote: Honestly, why is it so hard for anyone to do anything interesting with Sonic anymore?

In my humble opinion, it is because 23 years ago Sega decided to abandon ABC's Sonic the Hedgehog TV series continuity. I know there are comics. I mean, it should've become the official story of the games. I adored Sonic Adventure 1 in 1999, but that's where my patience ended. I've never been interested in anything but the story of the Knothole Freedom Fighters, the fate of the planet Mobius, and the resolution of that epic Season 2 cliffhanger. When I think 'Sonic', I think Uncle Chuck, Princess Sally, and Dr. Robotnik (not "Eggman"). When I was a kid playing Sonics 1-3 throughout the '90s on my Genesis, I was pretending to be in that cartoon. I still do.

Because Sega let its fanboys like me down hard, we never got a Sonic the Freedom Fighter RPG, never got subtle moralistic commentaries about the cost of ambition, the over-mechanization of society, and the value of nature and freedom. Do new Sonic games even try to show Sonic liberating flowers and animals from robots anymore? Sonic used to have a strong visual point that taught kids a little about life and made the player feel optimistic. It was 1991's optimistic green cyberpunk, a hitherto unique genre, and I can't think of any similar example since.

And bring back Jaleel White!

KiBa has received 2 thanks from: OL, Sonikku
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kintor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:23 am

KiBa wrote: In my humble opinion, it is because 23 years ago Sega decided to abandon ABC's Sonic the Hedgehog TV series continuity. I know there are comics. I mean, it should've become the official story of the games. I adored Sonic Adventure 1 in 1999, but that's where my patience ended. I've never been interested in anything but the story of the Knothole Freedom Fighters, the fate of the planet Mobius, and the resolution of that epic Season 2 cliffhanger. When I think 'Sonic', I think Uncle Chuck, Princess Sally, and Dr. Robotnik (not "Eggman"). When I was a kid playing Sonics 1-3 throughout the '90s on my Genesis, I was pretending to be in that cartoon. I still do.

This is certainly an unusual line of criticism, compared to the usual arguments against the Sonic franchise today. With that said, I don't think you appreciate the influence that cartoon (which in the Sonic fanbase is called SatAM) continued to have right into the modern era.

After all, SatAM may have only gotten two seasons but the ideas it introduced remain incredibly influential. Modern games like Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations both reference the personality traits that Sonic developed in SatAM, such as his love of chilli dogs. While the Archie run Sonic comic, which lasted until this year with 290 monthly issues, is a direct continuation of the SatAM inspired storylines, Freedom Fighters included. Heck, the whole 'forces' in Sonic Forces, where the player is part of an uprising against Dr Eggman, is very similar to the premise of SatAM.

But enough of the negativity, here's a recently revealed music track for Sonic Mania:

phpBB [video]
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 am

I preferred the English comic where he's a sarcastic over-confident ego-centric type who treats Tails like shit.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Sonic the Comic was brilliant.

One story that stuck in my mind featured someone taking Tails to a high window above a parade for Robotnik and handing him a gun, presenting him with the opportunity to easily kill the diabolical doctor in cold blood and end the oppressive suffering on Mobius. He chose not to do it, but it knowingly echoed a hypothetical scenario often discussed involving Hitler.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Kintor wrote:Modern games like Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations both reference the personality traits that Sonic developed in SatAM, such as his love of chilli dogs.

Wasn't the whole chili dogs thing a product of the afternoon Sonic series, not the Saturday morning one?
Or am I remembering that wrong?
It's funny, I always kind of hated the afternoon one for being just just a bunch of dumb, slapstick tripe, while I always appreciated the Saturday morning one for actually involving adventure and world-building in its stories (I don't think of it quite as highly as some, but I definitely thought it was better than its comedy counterpart).
Of course I haven't seen either one in almost two decades, so maybe I've got everything wrong.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:22 pm

I enjoyed the more slapstick cartoon, but I was 10 and it's the only one we had on TV. By the time I saw the other one, I'd already been conditioned and found it dour by comparison, and taking too many liberties with the cast that I knew and stuffing in a whole bunch of non-canon nobodies that I didn't.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:32 pm

KiBa wrote:
OL wrote: Honestly, why is it so hard for anyone to do anything interesting with Sonic anymore?

In my humble opinion, it is because 23 years ago Sega decided to abandon ABC's Sonic the Hedgehog TV series continuity. I know there are comics. I mean, it should've become the official story of the games. I adored Sonic Adventure 1 in 1999, but that's where my patience ended. I've never been interested in anything but the story of the Knothole Freedom Fighters, the fate of the planet Mobius, and the resolution of that epic Season 2 cliffhanger. When I think 'Sonic', I think Uncle Chuck, Princess Sally, and Dr. Robotnik (not "Eggman"). When I was a kid playing Sonics 1-3 throughout the '90s on my Genesis, I was pretending to be in that cartoon. I still do.

I loved that cartoon as a kid. I always remember it being on TV at strange times though. Lucky now I'm an adult and can afford to buy the DVD boxset!

Wish there was another season, would of been great leading off with that cliffhanger..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Kintor wrote:
After all, SatAM may have only gotten two seasons but the ideas it introduced remain incredibly influential. Modern games like Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations both reference the personality traits that Sonic developed in SatAM, such as his love of chilli dogs. While the Archie run Sonic comic, which lasted until this year with 290 monthly issues, is a direct continuation of the SatAM inspired storylines, Freedom Fighters included. Heck, the whole 'forces' in Sonic Forces, where the player is part of an uprising against Dr Eggman, is very similar to the premise of SatAM.

The Sonic The Hedgehog comic felt like a continuation of the cartoon and I loved it. Sonic #25-#50 especially were simply incredible. Unfortunate that #50 ended that era, because that less cartoony version of Robotnik is my all time favorite from the Sonic mythos. (It did have a satisfying conclusion at least) And that cover artwork! My god! Spaz has done some quality stuff. I kept reading the comic past 200 but it definitely lost its appeal. The plots became more comical kid friendly like and characters like Nagus that I loved were constantly emasculated by "original" comic villains that were lame. (Mammoth Mongrul comes to mind). It's unfortunate the comic has come to a close altogether, but Ken Penders basically killed it.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: KiBa
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kintor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:14 am

OL wrote: Wasn't the whole chili dogs thing a product of the afternoon Sonic series, not the Saturday morning one?

Both cartoons were developed at the same time, so they do actually share quite a lot of design concepts. Among them is Sonic's obsession with chilli dogs, which in large part thanks to both cartoons has become one of Sonic's most recognisable character traits in the West. Although in SatAM, the whole chilli dog thing also has a sadder undertone; chilli dogs basically remind Sonic of home and his 'Uncle Chuck' in a time before Dr Robotnik conquered the world and started robotocising everybody.

Sonikku wrote: [color=#FF80FF] The Sonic The Hedgehog comic felt like a continuation of the cartoon and I loved it. Sonic #25-#50 especially were simply incredible. Unfortunate that #50 ended that era, because that less cartoony version of Robotnik is my all time favorite from the Sonic mythos. (It did have a satisfying conclusion at least) And that cover artwork! My god! Spaz has done some quality stuff. I kept reading the comic past 200 but it definitely lost its appeal. The plots became more comical kid friendly like and characters like Nagus that I loved were constantly emasculated by "original" comic villains that were lame. (Mammoth Mongrul comes to mind). It's unfortunate the comic has come to a close altogether, but Ken Penders basically killed it.

Ken Penders has a lot to answer for, as does Archie for that matter. None of the legal problems surrounding the comic would have ever happened if Archie didn't inexplicably misplace their 90s era records. Still, the comic ended on a good note with 290, having just completed a major story arc that adapted the plot of Sonic Unleashed. It's just a pity that the remaining completed issues won't be published.

Anway, time for some Sonic Forces news. The new villian 'Infinite' has just gotten a character trailer:

phpBB [video]

Infinite even has his own Linkin Park style theme:

phpBB [video]

It's good to hear vocal tracks returning to new Sonic games. That's something I've missed in recent years.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonikku » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:56 am

Kintor wrote:
OL wrote: Wasn't the whole chili dogs thing a product of the afternoon Sonic series, not the Saturday morning one?

Both cartoons were developed at the same time, so they do actually share quite a lot of design concepts. Among them is Sonic's obsession with chilli dogs, which in large part thanks to both cartoons has become one of Sonic's most recognisable character traits in the West. Although in SatAM, the whole chilli dog thing also has a sadder undertone; chilli dogs basically remind Sonic of home and his 'Uncle Chuck' in a time before Dr Robotnik conquered the world and started robotocising everybody.

It has a sadder still undertone; What are Chili dogs made out of? Sonic is cannibalizing his fellow mobians. :shock:
Kintor wrote:
Ken Penders has a lot to answer for, as does Archie for that matter. None of the legal problems surrounding the comic would have ever happened if Archie didn't inexplicably misplace their 90s era records. Still, the comic ended on a good note with 290, having just completed a major story arc that adapted the plot of Sonic Unleashed. It's just a pity that the remaining completed issues won't be published.

It must have had SO many loose threads though. It had so much canon unresolved. I can't imagine it gave the 24 year comic line the send off it deserved.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming