Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 pm

I just wanted to say that I LOVE Sonic Heroes! One of my most favourite Sonic games ever. That is all :D

Shenmue_Legend has received a thanks from: Kintor
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:37 pm

I think Sonic Heroes is what turned me off Sonic. There was a point where instead of bearing his teeth with a confident grin he opened his mouth and showed his tongue. It's subtle, but it changed the direction of the character from "Cocky arrogant hero who always wins" to "Cmon guys, let's beat Dr. Eggman with the power of friendship!"
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Thief » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:04 pm

yeah but sonic heroes had this song:

phpBB [video]

which i'm not ashamed to admit I listen to on the regular.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:18 am

Shenmue_Legend wrote: I just wanted to say that I LOVE Sonic Heroes! One of my most favourite Sonic games ever. That is all :D

Yeah, Sonic Heroes got a lot of flak because of its unique gameplay style but I really like it as a game. Honestly, the team-up stages in Sonic Forces, where you control both the Avatar and modern Sonic, got me thinking. I'd love to see Sonic Heroes 2 one day, just to see how far the concept could be pushed with modern game hardware.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:54 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: I think Sonic Heroes is what turned me off Sonic. There was a point where instead of bearing his teeth with a confident grin he opened his mouth and showed his tongue. It's subtle, but it changed the direction of the character from "Cocky arrogant hero who always wins" to "Cmon guys, let's beat Dr. Eggman with the power of friendship!"

same here. It was the only sonic game I could never find the motivation to finish which was really disappointing considering how much I loved sonic up until that point.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby sutoji » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 am

If it's anything I can appreciate for Sonic in the modern era it has to be this

although sonic don't need no vehicle
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:37 am

All of this talk about Sonic and no mention that the best Sonic game since the Mega Drive/Genesis era is a modded game of the original 4 games, made by an Aussie and not made by Sonic Team themselves.

Oh yeah, and the Sonic Advance & Rush games on DS games were good, shame everybody's forgotten them (which were also not made by Sonic Team).

I do want to chip in and say Sonic Heroes is what put me off 3D Sonic as well, hated that game back in the day. Much preferred the Adventure games over that. Also want to say I always found Generations really overrated before it apparently was cool to think so (thought the game was....okay at best). Didn't like Unleashed either.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:32 am

Nah, never forgotten them gems. Rush is tip five for me, easy. Especially the for the fucking music. Just stole the sequel off my nephew last week actually.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Sokora » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Sonic games have been fucking rubbish since Sonic & Knuckles. As soon as Sonic had a voice and there was a soft metal soundtrack it was completely different, and shit.
Sokora
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kintor » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Sokora wrote: Sonic games have been fucking rubbish since Sonic & Knuckles. As soon as Sonic had a voice and there was a soft metal soundtrack it was completely different, and shit.

This line of reasoning has never made much sense. In reality Sonic has always been a character that has had a voice. From the earliest days of the series you had the cartoons and comics giving Sonic a voice, expanding upon the story of the games in ways that simply wasn't possible on the Mega Drive. This is why voice acting was included in Sonic Adventure, the power of the Dreamcast finally made allowed Sega bring all those details about Sonic's universe into the games themselves. So when Sonic talked in Sonic Adventure it was completely natural and expected, Sonic had already been talking to audiences since the beginning.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sokora » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:55 am

Kintor wrote:
Sokora wrote: Sonic games have been fucking rubbish since Sonic & Knuckles. As soon as Sonic had a voice and there was a soft metal soundtrack it was completely different, and shit.

This line of reasoning has never made much sense. In reality Sonic has always been a character that has had a voice. From the earliest days of the series you had the cartoons and comics giving Sonic a voice, expanding upon the story of the games in ways that simply wasn't possible on the Mega Drive. This is why voice acting was included in Sonic Adventure, the power of the Dreamcast finally made allowed Sega bring all those details about Sonic's universe into the games themselves. So when Sonic talked in Sonic Adventure it was completely natural and expected, Sonic had already been talking to audiences since the beginning.

But why did they have to make him sound a twat?
Sokora
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kintor » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 am

Sokora wrote: But why did they have to make him sound a twat?

Because Sonic is a hero of the 90s, everybody created in that era has some fairly noticeable character flaws. People call Shadow the anti-hero of the series but really Sonic is no paragon of virtue either. At his best Sonic is self-confident, jovial and bold. At his worst Sonic is arrogant, sarcastic and reckless. The writing in Sonic Adventure even picks up on this, one minute Sonic is making fun of Eggman's appearance, the next Tails is complaining that Sonic never listens to him.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:37 am

Voice overs were possible on the Mega Drive. And the SNES.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:39 am

Kintor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote: I just wanted to say that I LOVE Sonic Heroes! One of my most favourite Sonic games ever. That is all :D

Yeah, Sonic Heroes got a lot of flak because of its unique gameplay style but I really like it as a game. Honestly, the team-up stages in Sonic Forces, where you control both the Avatar and modern Sonic, got me thinking. I'd love to see Sonic Heroes 2 one day, just to see how far the concept could be pushed with modern game hardware.

I'd also love a Sonic Heroes 2. You know it's funny. I searched Google for Sonic Heroes 2 and there's a lot of bullshit results. One was "Sonic Heroes (2012 game)" and another was "Sonic Heroes 2: New Beginnings". I mean come on, it hasn't even been announced let alone released so what's up with all this?!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 pm

See this posted elsewhere and it made me laugh.

phpBB [video]

The footage here is my second play-through of the game with all moments where you can't control the character in 3D edited out. Specifically:
- menus/cut-scenes, of course
- classic sonic and 2D sections of the 3D characters
- long automated sequences (the train in that one avatar stage)
- the boss fights, while most are 3D, they are essentially padding and come out as tedious wait-fests.
- the slide, because fuck the slide

All that's left is about 15 minutes of 3D sonic(and avatar). And even then a-lot of this game-play is grinding on solo rails or just boosting straight with little challenge or player input required. And I didn't even take the fastest routes.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming