Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:05 pm

KidMarine wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: Looks mint! Can't wait to push forward n press A occasionally.

Batman vs. Superman is a really bad movie.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: OL, Rakim
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Oh no, I fear the worst. Shun Nakamura, who was the director of Sonic 2006 and the field designer of Sonic Adventure 1 will be the producer for Sonic Forces.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/17/project-sonic-2017-revealed-sonic-forces-heres-first-footage-details/

How does this guy even still have a job in video games? I would have given him a Ryo Hazuki kick to the balls and thrown him out of Sega for good.

I wish Sonic Mania all the success in the world, however. Really like what Christian Whitehead is doing but it didn't get me interested. I consider Sonic 2 and Sonic CD the best 2-D platformers ever made and I don't think Sonic Mania is bringing anything to the table which makes for a better experience than the MD era Sonic games. And it's not meant to do so either.

I think people who will buy Sonic Mania will actually get good value for their money but I'm done with Sonic. When I want to play a good Sonic game, I can always pop in Sonic 2 and have a great time.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: OL
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:37 pm

I was a RABID Sonic fan when I registered at the Dojo. But I don't see myself getting Forces. I haven't bought a Sonic game since Generations.

A lot can change in 15 years.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:18 pm

They should do a M rated sonic ala conker bad fur day.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm curious about the special stages. Will they be "half-pipes, but with laser beams!" (which, now that I think about it, would be a pretty cool twist actually) or something completely new? I'm guessing probably both.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Monkei » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Sonikku wrote: I was a RABID Sonic fan when I registered at the Dojo. But I don't see myself getting Forces. I haven't bought a Sonic game since Generations.

A lot can change in 15 years.

Well, Generations wasn't that long ago and there were only two bad and Nintendo exclusive "big" Sonic titles after that, if I'm not mistaken. I loved Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 when they came out (but despised most of them later on when replaying them on PS3), and I liked Sonic Heroes. I also have some fond memories of playing the Sonic the Hedgehog titles and Sonic CD in my childhood. I don't know, I just like Sonic, somehow. Even though the games kinda suck. I wanna breeze through some loops and do homing attacks on robots. If only for the nostalgia. Makes me think of that topic OL made about game series you like despite them treating you badly.

@Hyo
Well, I don't know. I read about that today, too, and my first thought was "Huh, why." .. But how much of a difference does a director make for a game like this anyway? I mean it's not Metal Gear Solid. And it's not a movie. As long as they have a good development team in place the game should turn out alright..?

Monkei has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Thief » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:23 pm

The thing about Sonic Adventure is that I know it sucks, technically, but it has that certain SEGA turn of the millennium charm. I sit down and play some Sonic, and everything looks bad and plays bad, but somehow I'm smiling and enjoying myself. But SEGA has kind of lost my interest ever since the end of the Dreamcast era. There was a brief moment where there was an extension of the Dreamcast era: PSO ep. 2 3 & 4, Orta, Sonic Heroes, etc, but soon after it just kind of died. SEGA just became uninteresting and had no charm. An era had ended -- of arcade fun and silliness.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:59 am

There was a fourth PSO episode?
JSRF, Sega GT 2002, Crazy Taxi 3, Super Monkey Ball, Virtua Fighter 4.. that Dreamcast era extension was awesome. Totally agree about them becoming boring, bad and irrelevant after that.
Still. Loops and robots. With small animals inside them. That running animation looks shit though and not like Sonic is really running on the ground at all. They got that right for Sonic Adventure, didn't they? Oh well. I remain cautiously optimistic.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm

God, you guys got a point there. Thinking back about the "extended" Dreamcast era Sega just makes one sad nowadays. Panzer Dragoon Orta, VF 4, Outrun 2, JSRF, that F Zero game by Toshihiro Nagoshi and so on... Even as a pure third party developer Sega still managed to dish out shitloads of awesome games. I think what really killed most of Sega's creative energy was the Sammy merger which happened in 2004, if my memory is correct.

To be fair, even post-merger Sega have actually brought out some great stuff, like VF 5, Valkyria Chronicles or all the Yakuza games, but sadly games like that don't happen that frequently anymore.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:06 am

Thief wrote: The thing about Sonic Adventure is that I know it sucks, technically, but it has that certain SEGA turn of the millennium charm. I sit down and play some Sonic, and everything looks bad and plays bad, but somehow I'm smiling and enjoying myself. But SEGA has kind of lost my interest ever since the end of the Dreamcast era. There was a brief moment where there was an extension of the Dreamcast era: PSO ep. 2 3 & 4, Orta, Sonic Heroes, etc, but soon after it just kind of died. SEGA just became uninteresting and had no charm. An era had ended -- of arcade fun and silliness.

I was blown away by the graphics of Sonic Adventure. At the time it felt like the fulfillment of Sonic Xtreme. A lot of people gave them flack for it, but I liked the open world aspect of it when choosing between levels. I would wander around town in VGA mode just gawking at those graphics. I also thought the finale was positively epic with Super Sonic going up against Perfect Chaos. The soundtrack made it memorable, as it did in Sonic Adventure 2's final boss as well. I think Sonic Generations as a whole is better than either game, but the finale and boss music did not feel nearly so epic.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:41 am

I know this will make me an outlier on a forum full of past and present Sega fans but... Sonic Generations was the first Sonic game (other than the two recent Mario Kart esque racers which I also really dug a lot) I truly loved since Sonic CD lol. So I'm all for this, and since I loved more or less all of the 2D sonics (though 4 initially gave me some issues,) Mania also looks really fun to me.

I was never a fan of the Adventure style Sonics, despite being a huge Dreamcast fan. I loved the pure, casual fun and speed of Generations, and the super bright, saturated colors. Speaking of colors, punful segue, Colors was fun for me too. But Generations was the modern bar for me in terms of actual enjoyability when it comes to Sonic.

My only fear with Forces is that it'll all be as dark and brown as the level shown so far, and will lack those bright, colorful stages I loved so much in Generations. But I doubt it, it's a Sonic game after all.

So yeah, I'm in barring catastrophe.

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby sand4fish » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:24 am

Damn bastards banking purely on nostalgia... I'm totally aware and still, pretty sure I will fall for it. :???:

phpBB [video]
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:46 am

Monkei wrote: There was a fourth PSO episode?

Yeah, it was called Blue Burst and only came out on PC. It has new items and new areas, much like Episode 2, but the new content isn't as large as Episode 2's was (and there're no new character classes). It can still be played today on private servers, but official servers have long since shut down.

Thief has received a thanks from: Monkei
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:04 pm

I played Sonic Mania at EGX Rezzed. The first zone was Green Hill, and aside from some shields from Sonic 3 (Fire, Water and Lightning) being present, and a different boss, I couldn't tell any difference from Sonic 1 Green Hill zone. :???: Studiopolis, the second playable zone seemed a little more unique though.

Ash has received a thanks from: Monkei
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kintor » Tue May 16, 2017 11:26 am

So this just happened, a character creation system has been announced for Sonic Forces:

phpBB [video]

Personally, I'm really excited for this. A character creator has huge potentional. With the recent success of Dragon Ball Xenoverse and it's character creator, I think that Sonic Forces might just get a substantial sales boost.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming