Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

Postby BlueMue » Tue May 16, 2017 4:17 pm

This is... odd. For itself this is an interesting idea and a neat feature. But in a Sonic game? A franchise that is ridiculed by all those "original the character" creations. I wanna play as Sonic! Well seems Sega is now leaving it up for the fans to create the new fanmade looking hedgehog for this game.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kintor » Tue May 16, 2017 6:14 pm

BlueMue wrote: This is... odd. For itself this is an interesting idea and a neat feature. But in a Sonic game? A franchise that is ridiculed by all those "original the character" creations. I wanna play as Sonic! Well seems Sega is now leaving it up for the fans to create the new fanmade looking hedgehog for this game.

More then just hedgehog OCs. Here's a run down of the different species to choose from and their unique gameplay mechanics:

Rabbit — Has longer invincible time after receiving damage
Wolf — Automatically draws in rings when near them
Cat — Keeps one ring after being hit
Dog — Restarts with five rings after the player dies
Bear — Blows away enemies with a homing attack
Bird — Flies high with double jump abilities
Hedgehog — Collects rings when getting damaged

I'm honestly quite impressed by the sophistication of the character creation system, there's a lot of different options to choose from.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 pm

The options are kinda strange, though. Certainly not balanced in the least. I mean, why would you ever bother playing as anything other than the bird, bear, or wolf? They're the only ones with actual abilities to set them apart; it seems like the others just have slight (and I mean very slight) safeguards for when you're playing like shit, since they all concern dying or getting hit.
Kind of odd.
Don't get me wrong, a character creator is fine (I'm always up for visual customization), I just think those ability distinctions sound really badly-planned.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 17, 2017 2:34 am

It's gonna suck and you guys know it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Kintor » Wed May 17, 2017 10:47 am

shredingskin wrote: It's gonna suck and you guys know it.

Don't waste your time posting that tired old image. It never had much relevance anyone. Sonic Generations is a fantastic game, I'm pleased that Sonic Forces is following in its footsteps. Furthermore, this new character creator is going to bring a lot of new people into the Sonic fanbase and boost the sales of Sonic Forces as a result. The positive buzz surrounding the character creator is already generating a lot of free publicity for the game.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Englishhedgehog » Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 am

shredingskin wrote: Image

It's gonna suck and you guys know it.

You implying that Unleashed is shit? Cos I'mma have to fight you for implying that
Englishhedgehog
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Englishhedgehog13
Steam: Englishhedgehog13
Currently playing: Bayonetta

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed May 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Kintor wrote:

Don't waste your time posting that tired old image. It never had much relevance anyone. Sonic Generations is a fantastic game, I'm pleased that Sonic Forces is following in its footsteps. Furthermore, this new character creator is going to bring a lot of new people into the Sonic fanbase and boost the sales of Sonic Forces as a result. The positive buzz surrounding the character creator is already generating a lot of free publicity for the game.

Sonic has had about 2 or 3 good games (Adventure games were just okay) in the past 20 some odd years. The series is a joke. Deal with it. You know your games suck when people are getting excited about a fucking character creator.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Englishhedgehog » Wed May 17, 2017 1:36 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
Kintor wrote:

Sonic has had about 2 or 3 good games (Adventure games were just okay) in the past 20 some odd years. The series is a joke. Deal with it. You know your games suck when people are getting excited about a fucking character creator.

That's the most wonderfully ridiculous leap in logic that I'll likely hear all week. Good job
Englishhedgehog
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Englishhedgehog13
Steam: Englishhedgehog13
Currently playing: Bayonetta

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed May 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Englishhedgehog wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:
Kintor wrote:

That's the most wonderfully ridiculous leap in logic that I'll likely hear all week. Good job

It was tongue-in-cheek. Good job.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 17, 2017 1:50 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:You know your games suck when people are getting excited about a fucking character creator.

I actually loled
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Wed May 17, 2017 2:40 pm

I liked the Adventure games, not perfect but were fun as hell. Other than those the only good Sonic games to come out since the Genesis (not counting All-Stars Racing) were Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Thief » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm

say what you will about adventure 1, but adventure 2 is a pretty solid game that holds up well.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 pm

I enjoyed them a lot on their time in the DC.

I've played 2 on ps3 and the first on pc, and the controls seem floaty, and a little wonky, the momentum feels a little bit like skating or something.

Maybe it has to do with the analogue in the DC is quite more stiff than the current ones.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue May 30, 2017 4:29 pm

phpBB [video]

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good...

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Kintor
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby King John Blaze » Tue May 30, 2017 5:06 pm

I just think the whole franchise needs a rethink. The emphasis on speed limits game design and so far this looks like another sonic game where you hold the stick in one direction which is only occasionally interrupted by defeating a few enemies that literally present 0 challenge.

I played Sonic Adventures recently on the PS4 (that cloud gaming service) and boy has it not aged well, but I still remember it being one of my best Sonic experiences. Though a good game, I also remember being critical about Sonic Adventure 2's linear design.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming