Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

Postby Monkei » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:45 am

Fresh from an Austin Texas based event called SXSW: the first gameplay of Sonic Forces, formerly known as Project Sonic 2017, filmed offscreen. The game is being made by the Sonic Colors/Sonic Generations team and will feature classic Sonic gameplay, 3D gameplay and a yet unannounced third gameplay mode. Coming holiday 2017.

Below that you'll find a new Sonic Mania video and a one hour video of SEGA's SXSW 2017 panel, showing gameplay from both Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania, which is by the way being delayed from spring to summer 2017. Sonikku might be pretty happy about how promising Forces is looking, there's some pretty spectacular stuff going on in the background of that stage. Enjoy!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Both games are coming out on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC.

Monkei has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Kintor
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:34 am

Based on this footage Sonic Forces looks to be exactly the same kind of stuff I haven't enjoyed in any other 3D Sonic game, so on current impressions I can't see myself picking that one up.

Hard to complain though, when we also have Sonic Mania coming along to cater to my tastes.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby OL » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am

Jesus, talk about stagnation.
Honestly, why is it so hard for anyone to do anything interesting with Sonic anymore? I mean, no complaints about Sonic Mania; that's a love letter to fans of the 16-bit games, and I appreciate the hell out of that. But I'd still like to see Sonic do something interesting in 3D, and I'm certainly not seeing that here.
I see a straight, narrow track of road with some bumpers, rings, and occasional enemies to jump on. This is all literally the exact same crap they've been doing in 3D Sonic games for pretty much 17 years (though usually with some kind of dumb gimmick breaking things up). It looks about as uninspired and ho-hum as a Sonic game could possibly be; it's practically on-rails. I have no idea why the crowd is cheering and "wooooooo"-ing through that whole video. I guess explosions turn them on? Or this is their first time seeing a videogame?

I'm not usually this negative with Sonic games, but I guess the complete and utter lack of anything evolutionary in the series is just getting boring. I dunno, I personally find it pretty easy to imagine a genuinely new, fun Sonic game in my head; I find it strange that the people actually charge with making the games can't seem to do the same. This stuff was fine for a while, but fucking hell, I think it's time to move forward from these "corridor" levels.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Sonikku
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Looks like thin corridors like the standard 3D Sonic games are nowadays. I'd prefer more open levels like we got in the first two Adventure games. Say what you will about the Adventure games but I think they had the right idea, just not great execution most of the time. Also, the art style is really bland to me now, Sonic used to have such trippy art direction like in the 2D Sonic games, is there no way they can translate that to the 3D entries? Would help make me not think it's just more of the Sonic Unleashed style art direction (which is boring).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Himuro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Sonic Forces looks pretty bland. And for a 3d Sonic game that's saying something.

Sonic Mania is looks like a 16-bit Sonic game to the point where I question if they're doing anything new with it.

I won't be getting either one, personally.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm getting the special edition of maina personally. I don't know if it will be any good but it seems like a heck of a collectible for not very much money after gamers club unlocked and 25 off VISA. I just wish it was a physical disc and not a lame one time use "code".

Sonikku has received a thanks from: KiBa
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kintor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Those handheld videos from the convention floor don't do Sonic Forces justice. Here's the actual trailer in HD uploaded to the official Sonic YouTube channel:

phpBB [video]

Personally, I'm extremely hyped for Sonic Forces. This is the Sonic game I've been waiting six years to play, ever since the end of Sonic Generations.

OL wrote: Jesus, talk about stagnation.
Honestly, why is it so hard for anyone to do anything interesting with Sonic anymore? I mean, no complaints about Sonic Mania; that's a love letter to fans of the 16-bit games, and I appreciate the hell out of that. But I'd still like to see Sonic do something interesting in 3D, and I'm certainly not seeing that here.

You've got it completely backwards, what the Sonic franchise needs right now more than ever is stability. After the disasters of Lost World and Sonic Boom the reputation of the Sonic franchise needs restoring. This means returning to the last great 3D Sonic game widely acclaimed and respected by both Sonic fans and the gaming community at large, namely: Sonic Generations. Presenting Sonic Forces as a literal and spiritual successor to Sonic Generations sends a clear message - the mistakes of the past few years will not be repeated.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Monkei
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Looks mint! Can't wait to push forward n press A occasionally.

MiTT3NZ has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, OL, Sonikku
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Himuro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:27 am

Stability = cashing in on nostalgia and doing the same formula they've been doing for years?

I want to see Sega make a 3d Sonic game on par with 3d Mario. We know it's possible.

Unpopular opinion but I just don't think Sonic is a good series, even the 16-bit ones. But I'll leave my opinion elsewhere because Monkei certainly didn't make this thread for people to shit on Sonic and his thread deserves respect.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kintor » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:15 am

Himuro wrote: Stability = cashing in on nostalgia and doing the same formula they've been doing for years?

Stability means returning to the successful formula that hasn't been used since 2011. Since the celebration of Sonic Generation, as part of Sonic's 20th anniversary, we've seen some unsuccessful experiments. Lost World with its 'parkour' mechanics and weird level designs was a failure. Sonic Boom with its 'Jax and Daxter' gameplay and rebooted art style was a failure. But Sonic Generations worked, this is what people have been demanding for six years now and at last Sega and Sonic Team are delivering on that promise. A direct sequel to Sonic Generations, in the form of Sonic Force, is exactly what the Sonic franchise needs right now.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Monkei
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Monkei » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:45 am

No worries Himuro, this is a place for free and open discussion after all. I totally get people's frustrations with this series and the way SEGA has been (mis)handling it.

But I'm pretty much with Kintor here. I think Sonic Generations was not that bad of an effort. Forces might be two steps backwards, yes, but two needed steps back to a better place than the series has been in up until now, ever since Sonic Boom and Lost World. Maybe they can evolve the series from there. If everything goes the right way, Forces might turn out be a more or less perfected (this is still modern SEGA, so I'm not expecting too much) version of the Generations formula.
The more open levels in Sonic Adventure 1 didn't really work ouf, because racing and exploring isn't that easy to combine I guess. Weren't Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom meant to be two more attempts at that? They failed pretty badly.. So I think reducing the series to what can be seen in that trailer is a good choice for now.

OL, out of curiosity - how would you describe your imagined perfect (3D?) Sonic game, or the perfect formula for leading the series in a good direction? :-k

Looks fun to me.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Englishhedgehog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:22 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Looks mint! Can't wait to push forward n press A occasionally.

Maybe if people say this is all Boost Sonic is enough times, it will be magically become true.
Englishhedgehog
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Englishhedgehog13
Steam: Englishhedgehog13
Currently playing: Bayonetta

Postby KidMarine » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:47 am

Batman vs. Superman is a really bad movie.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Monkei » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:58 am

KidMarine wrote:

I think it's decent. Wrong topic though.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:19 am

KidMarine wrote:

See the extended version.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Next

Return to General Gaming