Quality issues with default PS4 controller

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Quality issues with default PS4 controller

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:11 pm

So I've had my PS4 for like half a year now and I'm a bit disappointed withthe controller. I have two of the standard Sony controllers which came with the machine. Now the problem is not the controller as it is. I like that very much. I think it's quite comfortable to use actually. But the quality seems to be an issue. On one of my controllers' options button and X button get stuck sometimes. Also the options button is so worn out it's almost unpressable. Like you have to hit it with your fingernail to get it to work.

I don't understand this. I don't play a lot of PS4 (between 5 to 10 hours per week). Always used to hold Sony's peripherals in high regard. Had a PS2 and a PS1 back in the day and I used to play a lot more video games when I was a student. Never had any problems with any Sony controllers. In fact my old PS1 and PS2 controllers are as good as new even today still. And I played those a hell of a lot more than the PS4 ones.

I even switch between the controllers from time to time so I don't end up using the same one every time, but still this happened. Also when I played the PS4 with friends, I can't remember anyone smashing the buttons or otherwise misusing the controller. I guess it's just sub-par manufacture.

So have you guys also had quality issues with your PS4 peripherals? Can you recommend me a good 3rd party controller for the PS4? It should be one which is universally usable ( e. g. not fps or fighting game specific). Also the layout shouldn't be too different from Sony's original controller (e. g. locations of d-pad and left analog stick interchanged).

I'd be happy to receive some good recommendations.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Quality issues with default PS4 controller

Postby Axm » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:48 am

I still have my launch unit controller acting and working right, however on one of the thumb sticks the rubber wore completely off so I just pealed off the rest of the rubber and play it on it's hard plastic. Feels no different than a Dreamcast joy stick would..so not too mad about that. I have a new controller also and bought some of these little rubber cover things to protect it from happening again.

Also really curious about this one here.

phpBB [video]

Axm has received a thanks from: Amir
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:49 am

I bought my PS4 January 2015, together with an additional DualShock 4 Controller (I also switch between the two controllers every now and then to use them both equally often) and an original charging station. I haven't had any issues or signs of wear with any of the equipment, and I play pretty regularly.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:30 am

@Axm: Yes, this controller looks interesting, but the d-pad and the left analog stick have swapped places, so I'm not too sure about it.

@Monkei: Maybe I just got my controller from a shitty batch? As far as my PS1 and PS2 controllers back in the day are concerned, I never had any problems with those.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to General Gaming