Sega reviving major IPs strategic planning

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Sega reviving major IPs strategic planning

Postby sand4fish » Mon May 15, 2017 6:50 am

Following their end of fiscal year, Sega reveals plans to revive major IPs in their latest strategic planning document titled "Road to 2020".

Shenmue 1 & 2, Skies of Arcadia, Power Stone anyone?

Source: Sega Sammy

sand4fish has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, John Doom
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Sega reviving major IPs strategic planning

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 15, 2017 7:01 am

Power Stone would be Capcom, no?

Either way it's nice to see SEGA are making moves to leverage their classic IP. Just please, be better than the new Valkyria.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Mon May 15, 2017 7:02 am

Spaghetti wrote: Power Stone would be Capcom, no

Right! My bad. Thought only of Dreamcast classics when I gave a shout out to Power Stone.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Valascaziel » Mon May 15, 2017 7:28 am

Spaghetti wrote:Power Stone would be Capcom, no?

Either way it's nice to see SEGA are making moves to leverage their classic IP. Just please, be better than the new Valkyria.

Oh no. Spags, my wife loves Valkyria Chronicles. Is the new one in June lackluster?? She was so looking forward to it.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 am

Valascaziel wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:Power Stone would be Capcom, no?

Oh no. Spags, my wife loves Valkyria Chronicles. Is the new one in June lackluster?? She was so looking forward to it.

I'd like to know this as well. I really love Valkyria Chronicles and the new game seems so jarring on so many levels I don't know what to think of it. I really want to like it + give it the benefit of doubt but I'm going to wait for reviews because looking at valkyria revolution just triggers major concerning alarming bells. Some people describe it as feeling like a 'musuo(?)' game that I think means that it plays like Dynasty Warriors but I'm unfamiliar with that franchise other than the fact that you slay hordes of enemies in one go. Apparently sega have confirmed that this is just a stop-gap spin-off and won't stop them from producing a faithful sequel to the Chronicles franchise. I haven't been able to find many reviews but apparently sales-wise it bombed in Japan, which is shocking to me as it looks like they did everything they could to appeal to that audience (anime style, outfits, gameplay, etc) much more so than the original VC.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 15, 2017 8:16 am

Yeah, apparently it didn't receive a warm welcome in Japan at all. Rumour has it SEGA cut the budget after the demo that was included in the Japanese release of the VC PS4 remaster was trashed, and resulted in the full game being a hobbled, ill-conceived mess.

TBH, I had a feeling they were on the wrong track with it when that first trailer released. It looked like the developers had severely misjudged the tone and balance of the series in favour of a more generic action JRPG.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Mon May 15, 2017 9:34 am

A shame that Valkyria Revolution didn't do better in Japan. Personally, I'm still included to buy a copy when it's released in the West later this year; I'm willing to give the game a go on its own merit regardless of the Valkyria name being attached. Besides, Valkyria Revolution might actually find an audience in the West, especially on Xbox One which lacks many JRPGs.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what Sega has planned with reviving old IPs. I'd love to see a new Streets of Rage, especially if Yuzo Koshiro returns for the music. Beyond that, a port of Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder would also be cool.

Kintor has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby John Doom » Mon May 15, 2017 9:49 am

Hopefully one of the IPs they're planning to revive is about a "samurai boy" :D

Kintor wrote:Anyway, I'm curious to see what Sega has planned with reviving old IPs. I'd love to see a new Streets of Rage, especially if Yuzo Koshiro returns for the music.

:D You know, it's ironic you mentioned Streets of Rage, since yesterday I incidentally ended up reading Ayano Koshiro interview on Streets of Rage 2's development (http://shmuplations.com/streetsofrage2/).
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon May 15, 2017 11:46 am

I bet it's a Phantasy Star reboot with Atlus help.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon May 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Shadow The Hedgehog 2.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby RyoShenmue » Wed May 17, 2017 11:50 pm

I never had the pleasure of playing Skies of Arcadia or Phantasy Star on the DC. I would like the opportunity to be able to play both. I would really like the chance to play Panzer Dragoon Saga! [-o<
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Thief » Thu May 18, 2017 12:07 am

RyoShenmue wrote: I never had the pleasure of playing Skies of Arcadia or Phantasy Star on the DC. I would like the opportunity to be able to play both. I would really like the chance to play Panzer Dragoon Saga! [-o<

They should just remake Panzer Dragoon Saga, I can't imagine it'd be that hard. The game could really benefit from updated visuals—despite the art style being so good.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Thu May 18, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm the only one that thinks that after buying atlus sega became "cooler" ?

Like they saw them and thought "maybe if we do good games we'll sell quite a bit".
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Thu May 18, 2017 8:00 pm

That Amazing Sega ad made me proud to be a Sega fan.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby RyoShenmue » Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 am

I am not one for sports to begin with, but the NFL 2K series was damn good. It looked better and played better in my opinion than Madden, but what really set it apart was it's unique approach to football that gave it fresh air and new life =D> to an aging and rehashing of the same game every year with Madden. That and only selling it for $20 and EA got scared and had to buy the rights from the NFL, ESPN and others to completely shut out 2K. ](*,) I have never forgiven them for that. [-( (That and their working practices... :-# )

With Madden's NFL exclusive contract about to expire, it would be nice to get 2K back to where it was, although I am not exactly sure if it is still owned by SEGA or not. :-k
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Return to General Gaming