Mid 8th gen report card. What are your grades/thoughts

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Mid 8th gen report card. What are your grades/thoughts

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 30, 2017 7:46 pm

We are now mid 8th generation. Some can argue Switch is 9th or still part of 8th. So far what are your thoughts on each console if you have any.

Microsoft Xbox One. Released in 2013. Currently 29 Million sold Approx. Approx 1176 games. Hardware offers Kinect,Xbox One S and soon Scorpio.

Nintendo Wii U. Released 2013. Discontinued 2017.13.5 million consoles sold. 736 games.

Nintendo Switch. Released 2017. Approx 5 million sold in 2 months. 217 known games.

Sony PlayStation 4. Released 2013. 60 million sold. 1655 games approx so far. Hardware also offers PS Camera,PS4 Slim,PS4 Pro and PS VR.

===============================================================

Xbox One- C+ I have to be honest. There is so little on Xbox One I am interested in. The one game I had huge interest in,just got announced for PS4 and localized. I can play some XBO titles on my aging PC. Killer Instinct runs fine. Phantom Dust HD awesome. Ori is great. I know there is a lot of hype for Scorpio but without more compelling games the hardware does nothing for me. Phil Spencer did turn it around and XBOS is a nice improvement. Then he cancels Scalebound the one game that could have made me buy a XBO. XBO is much better than it was in that reveal in 2013 but seems it's just too late.

Wii U- C- I almost want to give the Wii U a D. The Wii U has awful hardware for developers. It's a mess. It's dated. It's typical of Nintendo hardware to be stuck in the past. The marketing was HORRIBLE. It had long droughts. So why not a failing grade? That's because it had some outstanding 1st party games. Some great indie support. It gave me Bayonetta 2,Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE,Xenoblade Chronicles X,The Wonderful 101,The Legend of Zelda breath of the Wild,Splatoon,Hyrule Warriors.Mario kart 8 just to name a few. What small library it does have is pretty good. Had it had Wii music or party games taking up most the 1st party space like Wii..I would give it an F. The 1st party output saves it form a failing grade.

Switch- B+ Switch is only 2 months old. It has solved about every single issue Wii U had. Modern hardware. Easy to develop for. Reaching out to 3rd parties. Clear and aggressive marketing. A lot of games in the first year. The only issue so far with Switch is the online. Nintendo still sucks at this. Worse yet they want to charge money for it. So far the one glaring issue with it. I won't dock it for no browser or Netflix. They said that would come later. It's early yet and has time to improve.

PS4- F...nah just kidding easily an A. You could see this coming. Sony capitalized on the mistakes of Nintendo and MS. They made some of their own this gen but nothing big enough to stop the beat that is PS4. Even i fnot a huge fan of Sony's first party games you can still enjoy the amazing 3rd party support. This generation PS4 has the best library overall. I absolutely love this thing just because of the games I have. My only issues are DS4 needs better batt life. I have issues with PSN being spotty. I wish it had a 3rd USB port.Overall tho I love the PS4. I don't think it's any mistake why PS4 is selling so well.
Last edited by Bluecast on Tue May 30, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Mid 8th gen report card. What are your grades/thoughts

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue May 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Xbox Live, Games With Gold, (some) backwards compatibility, Titanfall, nice dashboard, simple navigation, introduction of Rare Achievements plus percentage of players who managed to unlock each one, the DVR type shit, the fact that the majority of people I know chose it over the PS4, the phone app, the controller, and the fact that they've genuinely and actively listened to feedback in order to shape the direction of the console, plus numerous things I can't really think of atm... Defo gets the Xbox One an A1. Don't own the others, but there's no doubt I'd only buy them to play exclusives like Mario Kart or Uncharted or summat.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Bluecast
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 30, 2017 10:25 pm

This year PS4 had such a great streak of games.

Still BotW goty.

I would give PC a B+, it's getting a lot of japanese content that before seemed impossible, also more normally thought "console games" getting ported.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Wed May 31, 2017 12:01 am

shredingskin wrote: This year PS4 had such a great streak of games.

Still BotW goty.

I would give PC an A++++++, it's getting a lot of Japanese content that before seemed impossible, also more normally thought "console games" getting ported.

FTFY :)

XB1: C for effort. Literally not a single reason for me to buy it. Lack of exclusives and weak hardware.

I would give Microsoft themselves a A+ though. They listen to consumers, not only in improving the XB1 but in the PC market place. Releasing their games on PC again (great releases I might add) has earned my respect and money. Two things they haven't had for a long time.

PS4: B+ Some good exclusives, but IMO nothing compared to previous gens yet (some good ones on the way though). Doesn't hurt them though as they have the best third party support (except maybe PC now.) Hardware is decent, but even the Pro is showing its limitation now with the unlocked mode. It can't even run DS3 at 1080p 60fps which was very disappointing. Many games don't even support it (hence the unlocked mode) so the idea seems half baked. Its still my favorite out of the bunch, but they really need to knock the next one out of the park.

Wii-U: :-({|=

Switch: A- The best launch game in memory, great flexibility, good hardware and well executed ideas. Tons of great exclusives on the way. Getting the same game play experience on the go as I do at home has been awesome. Pro controller is probably most comfortable out of all major consoles for long play sessions. Looking forward to the future of the Switch.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:20 pm

I have no idea how to grade them so I will just say I prefer this generation to the last.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Return to General Gaming