Any Shmup fans?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Any Shmup fans?

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 31, 2017 5:37 pm

I have played shmups in the past but only recently REALLY got into them. I never fully got into them before because they seemed so intimidating. These are not all the ones I own but the ones I been playing recently that I do own. No real order.

Darius Burst CS- On PS4 physical play asia. It is a full priced game with tons of optional DLC. Mostly skins for the ship from other series like Space Harrier,Deathsmiles,Older Darius games,Raystorm and just about every shmup series under the sun. base game has multiple arcade cabinets. AC mode for Arcade. CS mode. 3000 stages. I kid you not. This game has infinite replay ability.

Astebreed- LOVE this game. Hack n slash meets shmup

MUSHA- Bought the OST CD because the game is so good. My Genesis rocks with MUSHA.

Gaiares- Tough as nails game. Imagine Kirby as a shmup.Music is great also.

Caladrius Blaze- Fantasy setting Shmup. Pretty good game. I just hate the stripping anime girls thing.

Raiden IV- III is lame but IV is awesome. Also from MOSS. Look forward to Raiden V in August on PS4.

Ikaruga- One of two recent Shmups I played I have not beat. I just struggle with it. Damn good tho.

Strainia- Shmup with mechs. Pretty decent.

Guwange- Cave shooter. Japanese myth setting. It's decent. Not the best from Cave.

Omedius Excellent- It's a Gradius game with anime girls. Cute em up Gradius. No pun. The game plays pretty stiff. mediocre game.

Deathsmiles- I really enjoyed this. It's Stupidly fun.

Akai Katana- Another one the better Cave games I played. Amazing rock OST as well. ESP Stage 4 music.

Pulstar - Neo Geo shooter. This one is pretty damn hard. Still great.

Espgaluda II: Black Label- Cave again. Quality as always. Good OST.

Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5- This one is truly excellent. Unlike one game that claimed to be. I did a review of this in the review thread.

Soldner X-2 Final Prototype- I got this on Vita and damn is it awesome. Western developed but they truly get how to make a shmup. Not bullet hell really. It's on Vita on cart as well at Play Asia. Another great OST. A lot of VA to.

Bulk Slash- I dunno if this counts as a Shmup. It's a 3d Mech shooter but plays kinda like a shmup. Amazing mid 90s Saturn OST with a lot of synth rock.

Geist Force- It's unfinished and buggy. I am just glad to have a retail like copy after 18 years.

I do own more and played more in my life. These are the most recent. I have found it's not as intimidating as you would think. So who else here is a shmup fan? What are some of your faves. Played any recently?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Any Shmup fans?

Postby sand4fish » Wed May 31, 2017 5:58 pm

I dont play them as much but I certainly love the 100% action centric aspect of the genre. My favorites would be Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi and the original R-Type.

I played Espgaluda 2 black label a couple of years ago, and as any Cave title it was awesome. As for now, I'm playing Automata which it's half Shmup in a way, specially when playing as 9S.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:19 pm

The PC Engine/Turbografx 16 is the king of shmups.

Super Star Soldier
Soldier Blade
Blazing Lazers
Lords of Thunder
R-Type
R-Type II
Darius
Super Darius
Paranoia
Detana!! TwinBee
Magical Chase

The list goes on and on

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:05 am

Mr357 wrote: The PC Engine/Turbografx 16 is the king of shmups.

Super Star Soldier
Soldier Blade
Blazing Lazers
Lords of Thunder
R-Type
R-Type II
Darius
Super Darius
Paranoia
Detana!! TwinBee
Magical Chase

The list goes on and on

Lords of Thunder easily one of the best OST's ever.
phpBB [video]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:27 am

I love shmup's , but don't ask me if I'm actually any good at them :P
Still, the challenge of a bullet hell shooter is pretty sweet :twisted:

Here are some of the ones I remember having played and enjoyed:

Radiant Silvergun, Sexy Parodius, Battle Garegga, Ikaruga, Akai Katana Shin, Otomedius G/Excellent, Caladrius, Deathsmiles/IIx, Bulletsoul/Infinite Burst, Mushihimesama/Futari, Dodonpachi Saidaioujyou/Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label, Pink Sweets, Muchi Muchi Pork, SakuraFlamingoArchives, Espgaluda 2, Senko No Ronde/Duo, Guwange, Triggerheart Exelica, Eschatos, Ginga Force, Ghost Blade, Raiden V, Mamorukun Curse!, Strike Witches: Hakugin no Tsubasa.

PS. I have Bulk Slash on the Saturn, love that game!

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 am

Ghost Blade HD Collectors Edition coming to PS4 on Play Asia next month.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Return to General Gaming