Coming back to old save files and you're clueless what to do

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Coming back to old save files and you're clueless what to do

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Here is a problem I have with myself and RPGs sometimes. (and maybe other games for you guys) I don't always finish them my first time playing them and come back later. Months later to years later. This is what I did for Digimon Cyber Sleuth. I got way side tracked with Yakuza 0,Nier Automata and a shit load of Shmups. Finishing Persona 5 led me back to the game. The problem is my save file was not early in the game but just past mid game. So some serious story stuff happened when I stopped playing 5 months ago. I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I ask the lady who supposed to tell you and you gives me vague nonsense. I go to every location in the game including every place in Eden and all dungeons. I have no idea what to do to advance the game. Turns out I had to sleep on the couch...something I never did or had to do before in this game. :lol: Not faulting the game. It's on me but I do frustrate myself sometimes in games. (Darksiders was another for me with the portal near end game)

Anyone else fire up a game again and totally forgot what they are supposed to do?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Coming back to old save files and you're clueless what t

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:14 pm

I stopped somewhere around half way through persona 4 for over a year before going back and finishing it so I was a bit clueless of where I was at.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Raithos
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 pm

I only play one game at a time these days, because the main problem I have is forgetting the controls and techniques.

Storywise, it does hamper my enjoyment of the Ace Attorney games when I often wait months between cases, meaning the story arc that links them all is a real blur by the time I reach the end. Great games though.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Thief » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 pm

I've played through the first half of some games up to three times. I always start over because I don't know wtf I'm doing in the game. It's super annoying lol

Thief has received a thanks from: Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:56 pm

I can't think of a situation where I had this happen. I guess I'm just too focused when it comes to games.
I either pull through everything that a game has to offer or play it until I don't wanna go any further and then never pick it up again.

On a side note, I always loved how Sonic Adventure handled this problem. When you continue from a save you'll always get a brief summary of what has happened in the story so far. Shenmue of course also helps players to get back into it through the notebook, just a very different approach.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:17 pm

I believe I have to start Suikoden II and Neutopia II all over again because I did this. :sad:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Raithos » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:20 pm

This happens far too often to me. I get into a game, something new and shiny releases and I make the mistake of trying it out. 6 months down the road I'm starting a game over from scratch because I don't know what's going on anymore. When I was younger I never had this problem, it all started once I got money lol. Back in the day I only bought one or two games at a time so it wasn't as much of a problem.

Raithos has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, south carmain
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Raithos wrote: This happens far too often to me. I get into a game, something new and shiny releases and I make the mistake of trying it out. 6 months down the road I'm starting a game over from scratch because I don't know what's going on anymore. When I was younger I never had this problem, it all started once I got money lol. Back in the day I only bought one or two games at a time so it wasn't as much of a problem.

I miss those days personally, having no choice but to play one game made me get the most out of it.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Raithos
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:07 am

That time i put 75 Hours into Persona 3 and only got half way through, came back like 4 or 5 months later, was completely lost. Suikoden has a bad habit of it too, but the 108 Stars of Destiny can be brutal.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Return to General Gaming