Switch or PSVR

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Switch or PSVR

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:31 am

Mr. Frozen wrote: selling your PS4 for a Switch? Ehh....

Axm wrote:Because I have a PS4 Pro now, I have no need for my first PS4 and thus will trade it in
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Re: Switch or PSVR

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:45 am

Hay guyz I just got a Switch :lol:

I sold a ton of shit I didnt need anymore in my life. Like half my movie collection which was half garbage anyways. Like half my PS3 games of which zero fucks and or on PS4 in better fashion now. Other crap too like a guitar I haven't touched in years and have no desire too. So combine that with my old PS4 money and I got some stacks lined up. Got the Switch and Mario Kart 8 without spending anything extra.
I hyped. I love this thing so far. Its such a.. REAL system. It doesn't feel gimicky at all. It almost feels like a Sony product. You could honestly fool me on that.
And I got Mario Kart first cause thats what I can play with my wife right away so she doesnt get mad I got something new just for me.. it's for us.. Yup! =D>

I'll get Zelda soon enough. Although really can just play some more PS4 games for awhile too. But Mario is dope and that will be enough reason to have a Switch for awhile.

Oh ya and gimme friend codes! I need friends on this thing asap! (eww.. friend codes..)

Mine is
SW-6600-3863-0131

Axm has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby fittersau » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:34 am

Axm wrote: Hay guyz I just got a Switch :lol:

I'll get Zelda soon enough. Although really can just play some more PS4 games for awhile too. But Mario is dope and that will be enough reason to have a Switch for awhile.

Came in late, but you made the right choice. =D> Switch hands down over PSVR. Zelda is a generational masterpiece, which I have yet to play but want to. I have a PS4 Pro so waiting eagerly for Shenmue 3.

PSVR is just not quite there with the quality and content unfortunately in my opinion.

You'll get much more value of fun from the Switch easily. Zelda and Mario are good starting points. Enjoy!

fittersau has received a thanks from: Axm
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:38 am

And I got Mario Kart first

I'll get Zelda soon enough.

Yes, there's "something" about the system that makes it cool and even loveable.
It shouldn't work, it's a oversized phone with a couple of square controls, but when you pick it up then something magically clicks.

Just wait till you pick up BotW, I really feel like it's a stepping stone in open world games. Just try to finish Horizon first, I was really into it, then picked up Zelda, and everytime I just tried to get back into Horizon I was just thinking: "I wish this was Zelda" to the point I saw myself trying to climb a rock for like 10 seconds before I realized this was other game and how natural Zelda felt. If they can pull something similar with SMO I would be majorly impressed.

Hope you enjoy it !

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Axm
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Switch or PSVR

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:52 am

Haha that Clint Eastwood face is the perfect response. But like I said, got Mario Kart first cause thats what married guys just have to do.

Speaking of Horizon and what you said.. maybe I should just finish Horizon off before I do get Zelda. Everyone keeps going on about how innovative Zelda's mechanics and such are. Horizon deserves a proper ignorant send off before I apparently get my mind blown..
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby fittersau » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:06 am

Yep do Horizon first. It's a great game in it's own right. While collecting many great things from many great games and perhaps somewhat derivative in that respect, the game executes on all those ideas and mechanics well with a great story. I've read a lot of commentary of players who have played both and the general consensus is Zelda is a more magical game.

So, Zelda is on a different level, from what I can see. I think I'll have to pick it up at some stage, but for now PS4 ecosystem will do.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:06 pm

DICK! Guitars should be passed on, not sold.

MiTT3NZ has received 3 thanks from: Axm, KiBa, TwiceFriedRice
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:55 pm

One of my fave things in Zelda is when these dragons randomly showed up. I took a break form the game back in April so I don't know what they are. The other great thing about it is how you can solve a puzzle or a problem in almost unlimited amount of ways. It's completely up to the imagination of the player.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Switch or PSVR

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Awesome. But please don't spoil anything for me. I generally like to keep myself in the dark about every game I want to play. ;)

Axm has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kintor » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:25 am

I sold a ton of shit I didnt need anymore in my life. Like half my movie collection which was half garbage anyways. Like half my PS3 games of which zero fucks and or on PS4 in better fashion now. Other crap too like a guitar I haven't touched in years and have no desire too. So combine that with my old PS4 money and I got some stacks lined up. Got the Switch and Mario Kart 8 without spending anything extra.

Well, it seems you've finally carried out your decision to buy a Switch. A shame that you didn't reconsider PSVR but at least you still have a PS4 Pro. Don't forget that your chance to experience virtual reality is only ever a headset away, that PS4 PRO already gives you the raw power necessary to make it all happen.

Perhaps this time next year we'll have this conversation again. Once Skyrim VR and few other things are released. Until then I'm always happy to offer advice on how to get the most out of PSVR.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Axm
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mrandyk » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Bluecast wrote: One of my fave things in Zelda is when these dragons randomly showed up. I took a break form the game back in April so I don't know what they are. The other great thing about it is how you can solve a puzzle or a problem in almost unlimited amount of ways. It's completely up to the imagination of the player.

I don't want to potentially ruin anything:
I still have no clue what I was supposed to do with those dragons. The one you posted is the one dragon I attempted to fight, and I couldn't figure out how to affect it.

mrandyk has received a thanks from: Bluecast
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:35 pm

You can only shoot them with arrows, depending on where you hit it you'll recieve different items, those items are required for some of the shrines, and for upgrading to better armor. But that's pretty much it, maybe they serve for buying/crafting other things. You see them, try to shoot them and see where the shard falls.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Bluecast
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Thoughts on your purchase ? Regrets ? joy ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:15 am

Breath of the Wild VR :shock:

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: KiBa
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Axm wrote: Ok so just sold my old PS4 like I said I would.
Got more than I thought too.
Then tried to find a Switch at all the big box retailers.. couldnt find it.
Finally decided to check out this small shop. Boom they had it and in all black like I want..
Then it just hit me.

What the hell am I doing? I still haven't finished countless games in my back log. Especially Persona 5, Mass Effect Andromeda (which ive barely touched) and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Do I really need to spend over ¥50,000 right now?
So I walked out the door with my cash in hand.
Fuck me right? I still want it but thats alot of money for a system I dont think ill be playing even half as much as the PS4 Pro.

This needs to sit in the oven for me abit.

You made the wisest decision.

Jebus!

Raithos wrote:Also, a study about The Hobbit showed that those who watched in 3D remembered least/were less into it. Neuroscientists noted that the unnatural perception made the brain process the visuals more. So less brain power was dedicated to the rest. Developers will have to continue trying different ways to implement the technology I guess.

I'm not condoning perversion, but what about -- how shall I put it -- adult VR? Being immersed can have different meanings. I mean, I think what you're saying, and I agree, is what Roger Ebert said about video games when they first came out: they are not art like cinema because they don't allow complete artistic control over story and how it is presented to the audience/player. I think he was ultimately epically proven wrong, but now the introduction of VR basically starts the art of VR games from scratch because the freedom of the player to look anywhere deprives the artistic developer of complete control over the experience. I've hated almost every VR demo of dramatic storytelling I've tried because I never know where to look, and I'm constantly missing things. Video game narratives largely figured this problem out, and we got lots of non-VR games where the player had freedom within a completely controlled artistic space, where he couldn't miss the relevant parts, or everywhere in-game was made to be significant. All the VR dramas I've tried so far are analogous to how early film just recorded actors on a stage because they were used to stage plays; the camera never did anything interesting. In the few VR dramas that have come out, the narratives are just regular TV or movie action over in a corner, then gimmicky things happen to make you turn around and experience 3D, but then you miss the primary action, and it's a big waste and stressful and not good storytelling. VR needs to make the same narrative and design leap that film and regular video games made. It needs a storytelling language of its own. For story-driven gaming. It's already awesome for the obvious purely visual experiences, with one exception: I think story-driven action games that put the player in one spot with realistically limited 3D visibility (like in a race car or the cockpit of a ship, etc) are already a perfect visual language because the content suits the medium. But we need radical new approaches that make the medium suit any content.

Bluecast wrote: Not a huge Zelda fan myself but that game offered freedom like few games can. It's one of the rare times I will say this game is literally only as limited as the persons imagination playing it. It does not hold your hand AT ALL. You can go to the final boss almost right away. I made a motorboat by being creative and made a airship the same way. It's not a mechanic just something you can do because you imagined it. You really can tackle problems any way you want. Game doesn't tell you how. Rarely a wrong way. It's why I made myself put it down it absorbed me lol.

I had no idea this Zelda was freelance and sandboxy like you describe. Interesting....
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming