6 months into 2017..your fave games so far?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

6 months into 2017..your fave games so far?

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:15 pm

We are 6 months into 2017. It's been a crazy year in those 6 months and more to go. Do you have a game or a few that are contending for your favorite game midway through? Let's hear it!

I won't post in any order.

Love Yakuza 0. My first Yakuza game not counting a demo of another game. The beat em up parts are very fun and brutal. The acting writing and story are very well done. Another game in Japan in the 1980s where I can play old SEGA arcade games and punch my way through. I love the balance of seriousness and humor. It's game I just kinda never want to end. I like this more than Shenmue II.

I really liked the first Nier but it had problems and was esp rough in gameplay. It ranged from serviceable to terrible. Still the music,characters and story were so good you kept wanting more. Nier Automata plays how I wanted Nier to play. Like buttah! The combat is so good. Music is even better than the first game. The writing is even better! Story I think while maybe not as personal as the first game has more layers to it. This game is pure art and not just talking 2Bs ass as wonderful as it is. I really hope we get a 3rd Nier and going by sales it looks promising!

I am fairly new to Persona as I started with 4 Golden last year and adored it. So much so I had to get the Take your heart edition for PS4 of P5. I have played games that remind me of Persona in some fashion. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (this is the game that got me to try P4G and my 2016 GOTY). After it I needed more like it and a good friend said it might be harder for me to try older games. So I played Trails of Cold Steel and some of Digimon Cyber Sleuth. Well after finally playing Persona 5 this year I loved it. I had some issues with it but overall loved it. Music is great. Plays really well and visually amazing. I really hope this gets ported to Switch as I want to play it on the go as well. Persona seems to be a series when I finish I get post game blues and need something to stand in for it. Why I am going to finish and loving Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

Those are my picks. We still have half a year to go so it may change but who knows. What are your contenders halfway through 2017?
Last edited by Bluecast on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: 6 months into 2017..your fave games so far?

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Breath of the Wild.
Yakuza 0
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Yakuza zero was the only game I got to play from this year but it probably would have turned out to be my favourite game anyway. It's definitely amongst my favourite of all time now that's for sure.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Bluecast
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Resident Evil 7 is my favorite game of 2017.

They've finally captured the original metroidvania playstyle. After years of people talking about how Revelations (and Revelations 2) were a "return to form", I couldn't help but think that they were delusional. It's as though people's conceptions, concerning what made Resident Evil good, rely entirely on a horror element. But what really made Resident Evil a good game was its level design combined with actual combat. You were forced to retread the mansion (and other locations) to find clues and progress, but you were not helpless when you ran into trouble (like most other survival horror). The interesting element was choosing if you could afford to fight, as a result of your limited resources. Survival first, horror second.

Revelations and Revelations 2 were largely under the same design philosophy as Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6—a straight path of obstacles to overcome. There was no (other than minor parts) exploration. Now, I don't think these games are bad (4, 5, and 6) but they are a large departure from the original game, so much so, that they don't even feel as though they're a part of the same franchise at times. Both RE4 and RE5 were successful in being exciting because they emulated the controls of the original games, battles were tense in those games because you couldn't run and shoot. You had to dodge enemies until you were in a safe enough situation to shoot (once again making yourself vulnerable). It was a good trade-off. But as soon as RE6 allowed you to run and shoot, the tension was gone. RE6 is a bit of a mess in its own right, but it's not a terrible game. However, once it became clear that Revelations 2 was taking design inspirations from RE6 rather than RE4 and RE5, I lost hope in finding much enjoyment in the series going forward.

Which brings us to my surprise with Resident Evil 7—back with all the design elements found in the original games. It's not a perfect game, but damn was it good. And it really gives me hope for the franchise going forward. If you still haven't played RE7 yet because of any preconceptions you might have concerning its first person perspective, please play it. It is well worth your time if you are a fan of the original games.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:42 pm

RE7
Horizon
P5

Those are the best of what ive had time for. Still trying to catch up.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:40 pm

I'll start playing P5 again. I'm only like 7 hours in till I decked it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:34 pm

RE7
Breath of the Wild
Nier Automata
Vanquish PC (Not new I know, but its so much better than the original release it deserves to be here)
Playerunknowns Battlegrounds

I still need to get around to playing Horizon. Its been sitting there for months now, just staring at me. I tried giving P5 another shot but my feelings on it haven't changed. I've been playing other RPG's this year and its hands down the weakest of the bunch. I'll give it another shot sometime in the future most likely.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ys » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:42 pm

south carmain wrote: Yakuza zero was the only game I got to play from this year but it probably would have turned out to be my favourite game anyway. It's definitely amongst my favourite of all time now that's for sure.

It's the same for me. I haven't been able to play other current games this year. I really need to catch up. There are several PS4 games that I still want to play but I didn't find the time yet.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:02 am

Well Raithos brought up VanQuish so as long as we're talking re-releases.

Darius Burst CS is just another great entry in the Darius series. It's no G-Darius tho but does have it's music in some stages in arcade mode. Tons of DLC but to start before DLC you have 3000 stages to play. Yup 3000. Maybe why it's full priced. I love the game.

Astebreed is one of and was the highest rated user reviewed game on Steam. It's a hybrid of Hack n Slash and Shmup. My god is the game fun. Like any Shmup it is short but is really repayable. Highly recommended. I think it's 15 bucks. Sometimes goes on sale on Steam or PSN.

Soldner Z-2 Final Prototype is a western developed Shmup that feels very Japanese. Not bullet hell either. . Soldner is a sequel to a PS3 game. It's great on the go and you unlock more stages the more keys you get by playing the stages again. Also a fun challenge mode. Can be had for 13 bucks including DLC on Vita.

None of these games are bullet hell. They can be easy to get into as a novice and get more challenging later.
Last edited by Bluecast on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Raithos
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Raithos » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:35 am

Bluecast wrote:Well Rakim brought up VanQuish so

Also, Vanquish was not already available digitally on PC like those three were on their respective platforms. They just got physical discs/cart now is all.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to General Gaming