You now have boost power!

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

You now have boost power!

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:06 pm

I think now in 8th gen for the first time since PS2 era it's a good time to be a fan of this genre. Futuristic racers.

The first games to come to mind for most is F-Zero and Wipeout. Aside from Mario Kart 8 tracks and anti gravity this series is essentially dead even tho we nearly had a new game on Wii U but Criterion turned Nintendo down. Wipeout isn't totally dead. We have not had a brand new game since 2048 on Vita. However The Omega collection just came out so maybe the series will be fully revived soon.

So what else is out there then? Fear not there is quite a few options. First off yes Wipeout Omega Collection if either a fan or never played perfect place to start. $40 or £30 and that version comes with themes and a steelbook that is a tribute to the PS1 game box art. It's 3 games in one in 4K if you have pro or 1080P on a base PS4. Wipeout HD,Wipeout Fury and Wipeout 2048.

Maybe you prefer F-Zero or do not have a PS4. If you have a Wii U or a Switch there is Fast Racing Neo or Fast RMX. Fast despite it's lame name is a gorgeous game made on a minimal budget but Shin'en are technical wizards. The vehicles look like Wipeout but plays like a mix of F-Zero and Ikaruga. You read that last part right. Well no combat but You can change your fuel to blue or orange. There are boost pads and strips of blue or orange. If you are blue and land on blue you go faster. Run over the opposite color and you slow down.

But dummy I have a Xbox One! No worries! Redout which is also on PC/PS4 and Switch. Is basically Wipeout with F-Zero GX sense of speed. It's seriously nuts how fast this game is. This was a game funded on KS and damn fun.

Maybe you are the guy who prefers PC only. Still have ya covered! Radical G. This is another Wipeout like game. If you played F-Zero GX and the tubular shaped tracks this game is basically all that with combat. Adds an extra dimension to it.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/33077 ... _Revolved/

Another one if you don't mind having wheels on the car is GRIP. Again Wipeout. Remember that video in 2048 sowing the evolution of the wheel? So think of this as Proto Wipeout. http://store.steampowered.com/app/396900/GRIP/

Finally maybe you want something a bit different than both of those series. There is Distance on steam. It's a mix of Futuristic racer with platforming.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/233610/Distance/

Of course if you just want to go old school always F-Zero GX older Wipeout games or Extreme G,Rollcage and others.

Now if only Nintendo would make a new F-Zero and out GX HD on VC

A glimpse at what could be. GX HD and what a new F-Zero might look like visually.

If you have anything to add or just want to talk about this genre feel free!

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Amihama0468
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: You now have boost power!

Postby Sokora » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Adam add me and I'll bum you to smithereens on Wipeout Omega = IndigoPrime
Sokora
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Niowiad » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:22 pm

It reminds me of Quantum Redshift more than anything, especially the third screenshot.
Loved that game :beerchug:
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:06 am

:shock: I was wrong this makes F-Zero GX look slow and that game was the standard for speed for a long time.
phpBB [video]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:58 am

I used to play a lot of San Francisco Rush 2049 with our kid. Always thought they shoulda added a Mario Kart type mode. The battles were decent, but mixing the weapons into racing woulda been quality.

There was also a PC game we used to play called Slipstream that was kinda like Star Wars Pod Racer in a way, but I think that was just a demo. Was alright though. We were talkin bout it recently so downloaded Dolphin n F-Zero for the Gamecube thinkin it'd be similar. We were wrong. Not a bad game, but we just ended up goin back to Double Dash.

(Side note: finally beat the Staff Ghost in Baby Park Time Trials. You better believe there was a victory dance down the street sans clothing.)

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Bluecast
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Man I always wanted to play that game and back then it was graphically intensive. I never got around to it for whatever reason and been a couple years but last I checked was kinda pricey for DC. I also remember a interview in a old magazine the devs explaining how they had to work pretty hard to get the game on a N64 cart.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:12 pm

We just used a copy. Didn't even need a boot disc.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:45 am

I sucked so much at wipeout as a kid that I never bothered trying to get in to the series after that and ignored anything like it. Always thought it looked cool as fuck though.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:18 am

south carmain wrote: I sucked so much at wipeout as a kid that I never bothered trying to get in to the series after that and ignored anything like it. Always thought it looked cool as fuck though.

Omega collection best place to start again. You can set it to novice and after a couple days when you get used to the game which doesn't take long it gets a lot more fun.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: south carmain
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:08 am

phpBB [video]

f-zero gx tas because it's cool

Thief has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:24 am

Aside form being able to make your own car this PC game is a shameless clone of Wiepout but that's fine if you want to play something that looks just like it on PC.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/38967 ... la_Fusion/
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Return to General Gaming