Sega Forever

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sega Forever

Postby celsowm » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 am

celsowm
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 am

I like how a lot of the newer lot who have to speak corporate in interviews are clearly fans and give a fuck about the product. Ten years ago there was a very distinct difference between developer and publisher.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:57 pm

SEGA forever? More like SEGA for a little while LOL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kintor » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:31 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: I like how a lot of the newer lot who have to speak corporate in interviews are clearly fans and give a fuck about the product. Ten years ago there was a very distinct difference between developer and publisher.

That's true, Sega's communication with the fans has definitely improved in recent years. Even many of Sega's old school Japanese developers are becoming more comfortable with social media and being in the public spotlight. That new Sega ident that Nagoshi unveiled earlier in the year is only the beginning, it looks like is preparing to increase their popular culture presence in a major way.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby fittersau » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:29 am

That was a very harsh interview, I think unnecessarily so. You can still get across the same meaning without being so confrontational.

But I will say RetroArch haven't done themselves any favors by crying foul so publicly. I'm not sure who would want to work with them now.

SEGA need to do a lot more work in their development of the Unity emulator before they start bringing the Dreamcast games online if people are already struggling with these old ones.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:47 am

I don't know why they're using the unity engine as it is. They're using a game engine aimed at independent game designers to create an emulator for their games which it wasn't designed to do in the first place.

south carmain has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby fittersau » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:44 am

south carmain wrote: I don't know why they're using the unity engine as it is. They're using a game engine aimed at independent game designers to create an emulator for their games which it wasn't designed to do in the first place.

Nah, you can use engines like Unity to do what ever you like. In this case it serves as middleware to interface with Android, iOS, future PS4 & XB1. Doesn't really matter what you're running underneath that middleware layer.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 am

fittersau wrote:
south carmain wrote: I don't know why they're using the unity engine as it is. They're using a game engine aimed at independent game designers to create an emulator for their games which it wasn't designed to do in the first place.

Nah, you can use engines like Unity to do what ever you like. In this case it serves as middleware to interface with Android, iOS, future PS4 & XB1. Doesn't really matter what you're running underneath that middleware layer.

I am aware of what it is doing. My point was that the engine isn't designed to do that even if it can hence why Sega Forever is having performance issues with games that require a toaster to run.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby John Doom » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:08 am

fittersau wrote:

That's true, but tbh I don't get their choice myself. I have used Unity a lot in the past years and it's a good choice to make games portable, but it also includes high-level stuff like Mono for programming, which are unnecessary for emulators: if they use them, it could be detrimental, because emulators require low-level programming for fast performances; if they don't and instead program their own libraries in C, Mono and the other stuff would still be included in the emulator and could potentially burden their emulator's performances anyway.
Maybe I'm wrong and it's actually a good choice, but it sounds more like a decision the marketing guy would make, not the programmer :\
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:29 am

John Doom wrote:
fittersau wrote:

That's true, but tbh I don't get their choice myself. I have used Unity a lot in the past years and it's a good choice to make games portable, but it also includes high-level stuff like Mono for programming, which are unnecessary for emulators: if they use them, it could be detrimental, because emulators require low-level programming for fast performances; if they don't and instead program their own libraries in C, Mono and the other stuff would still be included in the emulator and could potentially burden their emulator's performances anyway.
Maybe I'm wrong and it's actually a good choice, but it sounds more like a decision the marketing guy would make, not the programmer :\

I wouldn't call myself an expert with unity but I have been tinkering with it since around 2010 and as a result I've read quite a lot about it in terms of its strengths and weaknesses from articles and experienced users. From what I know about the engine I would completely agree that they put cost and convenience over final result in this case as even if they can re-purpose it to suit their needs it would probably be very difficult to get the same result as if they built something from the ground up.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:06 am

Free things always hurt. I do think it's a good idea to bring the old Sega games to current platforms but I think it would have been a wiser decision to make every game $1 or 99 cents and then add a monthly subscription option with 10 games per month at like $5. Something like that. Getting the Sega brand associated with a free mobile gaming service will probably hurt the brand in the long run, giving it an even "cheaper" reputation than Sonic games and other bullshit have already given it.

It's a great idea to bring all those countless great games from the Mega Drive, Saturn and Dreamcast era back, especially for the younger generation but if porting old games to mobile is all they're planning on doing as a "brand revitalization strategy", they might as well forget about it.

If they want their reputation as one of the best software developers on the planet which they had from the late 80s to the mid 2000s back, they will have to bring much better stuff than just some mobile ports. That would take quality ports of old Sega games to consoles and PC, new installments in classic franchises and perhaps even a few new franchises (same thing with the latter two: quality!).

If they throw around big words like "Amazing Sega" and "Sega Forever" they'd better step up to the plate and deliver a hell of a lot more than a mobile gaming service.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kintor » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:34 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Free things always hurt. I do think it's a good idea to bring the old Sega games to current platforms but I think it would have been a wiser decision to make every game $1 or 99 cents and then add a monthly subscription option with 10 games per month at like $5. Something like that. Getting the Sega brand associated with a free mobile gaming service will probably hurt the brand in the long run, giving it an even "cheaper" reputation than Sonic games and other bullshit have already given it.

The expectations of the mobile market are completely different to the mentality you're describing here. To the extent that it's quite unusual for mobile games to charge a set price, even if that price is as little as $1. In reality, most mobile games are either ad supported or rely on some form of repeatable microtransaction. Putting an upfront cost like you describe would deter mobile gamers from trying out Sega Forever; ad supported is definitely the way to go, since these classic Sega games were never designed with microtransactions in mind. The ability to pay $2 per game to remove the ads is just an optional bonus, it's unlikely that most mobile gamers will be bothered the presence of ads even if they weren't in the original versions of these Sega games.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to General Gaming