Forgotton retro games that deserve more love

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Forgotton retro games that deserve more love

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:34 am

Post a retro game with some footage and a little bit about it.

I will start of course.

phpBB [video]

Bulk Slash. A game that only came out on Saturn in Japan...no wonder it's forgotten. Despite that the game is a 3D mech shooter. Damn is it fun. Controls take some time to get used to but once you do it's a blast. I also just love that mid 90s synth rock OST you used to hear on consoles of this gen. Another game I loved that did that is Strider 2. Downside is this game isn't cheap. Low end $100 bucks. It's only worth that if you just really want a game like this. Japan Saturn is loaded with obscure great games and sadly only on SS and expensive. I love playing this game. Maybe a prototype Zone of the Enders? Not sure but either way awesome.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Forgotton retro games that deserve more love

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:02 am

phpBB [video]

Marko's Magic Football, a/k/a Marko because Americans don't know what a football is.

A platform game with a quirky twist, summing up the 16-bit era beautifully.

Maybe they did all they could with the gimmick, or maybe it just wasn't that popular, but its legacy is virtually nonexistent. The closest I've found to it in recent years is a puzzle-type game called Tennis In The Face, simply by virtue of using a sports ball as a projectile against enemies.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kintor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:42 am

How about Ranger X:

phpBB [video]

Ranger X is a seriously underrated Mega Drive game with some unique gameplay mechanics. A side-scrolling shooter where you control a giant robot in tandem with a support vehicle. You also have the option of combining with that vehicle into a single machine, which has advantages in certain tactical situations.

Beyond that Ranger X is also a beautiful game that pushes the standard Mega Drive hardware to its absolute limits. The beginning of each level is accompanied by a wire-frame CGI mission briefing. While the levels themselves have a host of impressive visual feats that never slow the game down. Plus, the music is amazing, making good use of the Mega Drive's dual sound chips.

Ranger X really is one of the most technically impressive games on the Mega Drive. All the more amazing considering that it was a mid-gen 1993 release.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:20 pm

phpBB [video]

From Software developed this on Dreamcast. It's Virtual On meets Armored Core. used to have a online mode but also has a nice local and single player mode. Really fun and yeah that name is Engrish. This is a very affordable game. Can have a Cib copy $10 shipped.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:39 pm

HERZOG ZWEI (Sega Genesis, 1989)
phpBB [video]

Not many games can claim to be the first in their respective genre, but Herzog Zwei is one these few exceptions. It's the first ever RTS and still one of the few in which you, the player, are not simply pointing and clicking commands far from the battelfield but the key figure inside it, basically you being a Transformer type of robot that can transport battle units from your base to enemy lines and that could also shoot other enemy units as well. The soundtrack in particular was exceptional, as anything made by Tecno Soft, rivaling those of the Thunder Force series IMO.

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:53 pm

phpBB [video]

ActRaiser 2. Hated by critics and fans, but it's truly a gem of a game. Ignoring the graphics and sound, which are both beautiful and some of the best on the SNES, it's also got incredibly deep platform mechanics. Unique movement and situational magic attacks. The games best feature is the sword plant ability. Whenever your character is in an animation pose that has its sword out (during a fall animation), your character is invincible. This game is HARD, but it is not unfair. It will require patience, but as you improve, you'll begin to enjoy the game more and more.

I think this game is much better than ActRaiser. Rather than having a hodgepodge of mediocre sim mixed with mediocre platforming, it instead chose to perfect the platforming. I like ActRaiser, but ActRaiser 2 is a much more rewarding game. I think the problem however, and why it was so universally panned, is because the fans of the original are not looking for the type of challenge or depth found in this game, and instead, they want something that is instantly fun, rather than a fun you must earn (which I can understand). It pains me when I see this on "Worst SNES" lists, because I think it's probably one of the best games on the console. But whatever.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:54 pm

south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Thief » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:55 pm

south carmain wrote: Image

I think this one really just got lost in the shuffle.

Thief has received a thanks from: south carmain
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrandyk » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Would have expected you to post Shenmue.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:40 pm

mrandyk wrote:

Would have expected you to post Shenmue.

Nah shenmue is overrated

south carmain has received a thanks from: Bluecast
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:18 pm

phpBB [video]

Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty. Really good fighting game on Saturn. Great OST. Shame this game is forgotten as it's one of the best 2D fighters not made by Capcom or SNK.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Return to General Gaming