Analog or D-Pad?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Analog or D-Pad? (Total votes: 5)

Analog
40%
D-Pad
60%

Analog or D-Pad?

Postby sutoji » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:58 am

Personally I prefer D-Pad for everything. The xbox duke
controller has the worst D-Pad in history it's actually hilarious, the X360 didint help either lol, I would say the PlayStations and Xbox One have the best one well back in the day for retro gaming D-Pad was the only one used until analog starting becoming bigger for 3d shooters I guess analog is better for those games however D-Pad is more accurate than analog.

D-Pad for the win.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Re: Analog or D-Pad?

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:10 am

It depends on the context. Playing Mario 64 with a D-pad on the DS wasn't ideal, nor was steering Ryo Hazuki with the 360's painful monstrosity, but playing any 2D platform game with an analog stick is a vision of Hell.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:36 am

It can't be generalized, so I can't totally put one above the other. Each of them has their own purpose. It's a good thing the controllers never god rid of them and it's not just a split in "for old games" and "for new games". I definately like to controll the menus with the d-pad and I tend to play fighting games with the analog stick, sometimes even for 2D games. It really depends on the type of controller. Sometimes it's just more comfortable to use the stick.

When it comes to good d-pads nothing beats the Mega Drive 6 Button Controller for me. Many say the Japanese/second gen Saturn controller has the best one but I still prefer the former for some reason, might be because of the condition of my Saturn controller. The original MD controller is also almost as good. One thing that's for sure, no one ever came even remotely close to do the disc shape as well as Sega did.

In defense of the + shape and the 360 controller, I really like the one on the transforming d-pad in that setting.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Niowiad » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:43 am

D-Pads are just ON-OFF controls, useful for the fastest possible response.
Analog sticks are gradual and let you choose the amount of the action which is being performed.

So it just depends on what the game allows for that specific action.

If a character can walk or run depending on how much the analog stick gets tilted and someone's using a D-Pad which can only make the character run, then he's missing out big time.
Same thing for any vehicles' piloting action in modern games, way more accurate with gradual controls.
All modern Top-Down games... D-Pads only allow for 8 directions, analog sticks give free accurate movement.

On the other side, if you're playing old games released before analog sticks were invented, modern 2D games with old style digital controls and modern fighting games which still rely on ON-OFF fast inputs, analog sticks can also be used but not as efficiently as D-Pads or the good old digital joysticks in arcade sticks (some people think they're the same thing as analog sticks but they use 4 micro-switches which just give you the same "8 directions" as D-Pads).
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Postby OL » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:59 am

Trackball.

OL has received 2 thanks from: John Doom, Mr357
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby John Doom » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:12 am

Brain waves, as suggested by Suzuki ( :D though "it just raises too many questions": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc3wIAs ... u.be&t=172 ).
But seriously, I agree it's all about the game's genre. Overall, the d-pad may be easier to apply to every genre, but it also depends on which controller you're using: the 360's d-pad is barely accurate, while the PS3's d-pad can hurt you fingers :\ (the PSP's one was ok, though: the analog was the problem :D ).
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Return to General Gaming