Fist of the North Star (New)!!! PS4

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Fist of the North Star (New)!!! PS4

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:58 am

RyoHazuki84 wrote: The game uses the Yakuza engine that is used in 6 and Kiwami 2

It uses the original Kiwami engine, not the new Dragon engine..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:19 pm

That's strange. I'll be sure to play it when it comes out, but I probably won't get around to playing it until the end of April or start of May. When it's release at the end of March, I'll be busy moving.
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:43 pm

phpBB [video]

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Well... the "wasteland exploration" is a bit disappointing. Seems like it's more relegated to a kind of JRPG overworld mold, rather than actual open-world gameplay. Not in the traditional sense, obviously; clearly it doesn't look like your average overworld map. But enemy encounters phase out from driving into a closed-off fight in a small "arena," much like any old random battle does. It seems that driving is completely cut off from all other gameplay by loading screens.
Eh.
I mean, it's not horrible, it just kind of reeks of antiquated design philosophy. With Yakuza 6 finally attempting seamlessness and eliminating loading screens between outdoor and indoor environments, you'd think something like this would follow suit in some way.
Ideally, I would have hoped for a Jak 3-style open desert which allows you to enter or exit your vehicle at will (and note that Jak 3 is friggin' fourteen years old, so this is nothing overly-ambitious). If the devs really want to force you into fights, simply make it so that your vehicle has no defenses, forcing you to exit, dispatch one of theirs with a Heat move or something, then they all exit to fight you.
Would that really be so complex?
Instead, they made it like running into an enemy in Chrono Cross, which phases you into a fight. It feels outdated and clunky, particularly for something that's otherwise all real-time anyway. It seems like there's no point to the driving being present at all; you may as well just be moving an icon over a map.
Just seems kind of weak.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:31 am

Looks good, I like it!

OL, keep in mind that this is still on the "Dragon," engine or whatever old engine was being used; believe this is the last title on that game engine, whereas 6 and Kiwami 2 is on the new one.

EDIT: Wow, that was already said above lol, missed that (facepalm).
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby OL » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Even if it is the old engine, it's still no excuse for the game to operate like a PS1 RPG. It's more a question of optimization. Being that it's an engine that was created last generation (it started with Yakuza 5) running on current hardware, and the fact that they, themselves, created it... you'd kind of think they'd be able to optimize it a bit more, get more out of it. But no, they're aiming more for "quick and easy" rather than "new and interesting."
Don't get me wrong, it still looks alright; I'm an FotNS nut, so I'll obviously play it if it gets localized. I did, after all, play through both Ken's Rage and Ken's Rage 2 almost to 100%, and those games had about a thousand times less variety than this one looks to have. I think I'm just a bit jaded with most modern Japanese games in general; more often than not, they typically seem to resign themselves to old, comfortable design philosophies rather than trying to forge ahead and be adventurous. I can't remember the last time I was really, genuinely excited for a new JRPG, for example. And I still, haven't played through Yakuza 0 or Kiwami yet; not because they look bad, but because they're literally just more of the same as the previous three games in the series. Which were good, mind you, I just got burnt out on them.
It's just weirdly frustrating, because I look at something like this and see so much potential being a bit wasted. A few very simple changes could make it feel new and immersive and absorbing, but instead it's a lot of menus, clicky dialogue boxes, blank loading screens, and an underwhelming overworld.

But then again, I'm a really fickle little bitch sometimes, so maybe I'm just in a mood.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby slus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm anticipating this. It will be just as fun as the other Yakuza games especially using the Dragon engine. I've liked what I've seen of the game so far as the combat looks ridiculously fun and that is what matters.
slus
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Previous

Return to General Gaming