Secret of Mana 3D remake

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Secret of Mana 3D remake

Postby OL » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Hoo boy. Nothing will necessarily beat the look and feel of good old-fashioned SNES sprites and all that, but the 3D still looks surprisingly nice, and based on screenshots it seems like it'll basically retain the exact same gameplay as the original.
Even the little bit of voice acting in the trailer sounds impressively bearable, though I do still hope there'll be an option for Japanese voices too; they included it in the FFXII remaster, so there's hope here.
Honestly, nothing I can complain about so far (though of course other fans are already bitching about how the 3D "ruins the charm of the original" or whatever; good old whiney, entitled videogame fans).

phpBB [video]

And this is following up on the like-minded 3D remake of the original Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure, which was pretty cool; with any luck maybe they'll eventually give us a 3D version of Seiken Densetsu 3. Would be a good deal more work than this one, but it'd be cool to see all the same.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Secret of Mana 3D remake

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Eh, I don't know. Not really a fan of the 3D look personally. I love the spritework on the originals and Seiken Densetsu 3, despite never playing it yet, is one of the best looking sprite based games I've seen, so seeing it with this rather generic art direction, seems kinda sketchy to me. I would much prefer the West got the Switch release with the collection (in all of the sprite based glory), personally.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:09 am

Well yeah, the sprites are more appealing to guys like us, of course. But they have to do something to make it new, so I don't mind the 3D. And to be fair, the design work itself actually looks to be lifted directly from the original game; it's honestly just the old designs translated to 3D. If that's generic, then it's the fault of the original, not the remake.
I'm sure I'll prefer the original, but that's available all over the internet for free anyway. I welcome the chance to see what's essentially a 1993 game with modern graphics tech.
And at the very least, it looks better than the slightly creepy sculptures used for promotion of the original.

OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 am

I have heard many seem to think the 3D look is completely ugly and takes much away from the original direction of the game. That being said I have heard alot of people also say this is a welcome addition considering the horrible translation of the original, even went to say this game was one of the biggest victims of the "dark ages of localization", apparently there was alot less english text able to be put into the dialogue boxes compared to the japanese version and thus much of the story and writing was lost in the process of the original translation. Never got very far playing Secret of Mana, I played just a tad of it on emulator and while Square still seems to want to try to make their dollars off of Nostalgia and over charge and not make quality original games like they used to be known for, this particular game is some what intriguing and I know how much fans want another new game in the series, maybe this will help us get it.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:38 am

I enjoyed the Adventures of Mana remake on Vita so definitely looking forward to this. Still holding out for the Switch collection though. Hopefully this sells well enough to let them know there's a market for it.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:46 pm

I have the original SNES cartridge. But, I never could get into it. I'd like them to do something like this with FFVI. That and Chrono Trigger are oddly the two classics that Square has never touched (and, no, the re-translation on the GBA and awful iOS version don't count).

I prefer sprites too, generally.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:38 am

phpBB [video]
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III