Ghost of Tsushima

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Ghost of Tsushima

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:49 pm

Looks like a game for those who've been desperate for another Onimusha.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Ghost of Tsushima

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Looks like a game for those who've been desperate for another Onimusha.

phpBB [video]

I'm excited for this! I played a game on PS4 not long ago called Aragami, that was a much smaller scale indie game but I really enjoyed it. i imagine this'll be similar to that on a much huger scale (I'm assuming from the title, you might have cool dishonoured style ghost powers). Hopefully they'll be elements of stealth etc and that it's less 'souls-esque' compared to Nioh (for selfish reasons :p)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby OL » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 pm

Nioh actually scratched a lot of my Onimusha itch.
This could be interesting, but the voices being all in english immediately pulls me out of it. Just a personal hangup, but it's there.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 am

OL wrote: Nioh actually scratched a lot of my Onimusha itch.
This could be interesting, but the voices being all in english immediately pulls me out of it. Just a personal hangup, but it's there.

My friend said exactly the same thing. It would be a bonus if the voices were in Japanese, but personally I'll be happy if the game feels authentic since it's being made by a western company.

I love the theme they're going with though. I haven't seen much done on the Mongol invasions of Japan so this definitely has me curious.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:24 pm

I'm only going based off of the trailer, but I wonder if this would be more likely to scratch a Tenchu itch rather than an Onimusha one? Trailer's completely cinematic, but the protagonist looks all decked out as a ninja at the end of it.
Depending on how over-the-top they decide to go with it (less would be better), that may be enough to get me over the voices. Been too damn long since the last Tenchu, and From Software just seems to be sitting on the franchise at the moment. The Styx games were satisfying as a bit of a gameplay homage, but a full-on ninja game might do it better.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:36 pm

This IGN article is an interesting read on what the game might be about:

The Ghost of Tsushima is probably the game’s protagonist, a lone samurai left alive to wreak his vengeance on the Mongol invaders. The trailer voiceover and the accompanying description that Sony released for the game emphasizes the adaptation of the samurai code and tactics, which also fits the historical narrative and is nicely reinforced by the image of the samurai’s armor literally burning away.

This invasion marked a turning point for samurai tactics, which seems reinforced by the few gameplay clips we got at the end of the trailer. Whether using the sword or the bow, the samurai code had previously emphasized single combat between individuals. It’s potentially a nice way to reinforce the lone wolf style approach that these types of open world games are known for, where the player, by him or herself, basically takes on an entire squad. It’s also a convenient reminder that the title of the game is Ghost (singular; no “s”) of Tsushima.

Historically, the samurai themselves would begin to adapt to the Mongol tactics of using massed volleys and formations over single combat. (It’s worth noting that this first Mongol Invasion encouraged the normally competitive and clannish samurai to set aside their conflicts and fight for all of Japan against a foreign invader.)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/31/ ... f-tsushima
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:05 am

It's a stealth action game set in ancient Japan on a AAA budget. Day one.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Telekill » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Yeah, this is a day one for me assuming I like what I see when more info is released. As of right now, the setting, the atmosphere shown, the beautiful open world, and the history of the studio lend me to believe that I'm going to really enjoy this game. Hoping it releases in 2018 but I won't hold my breath.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby south carmain » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Do we know if the game will be open world yet? I can't find any information on the game beyond the cinematic trailer.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Telekill » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:30 pm

south carmain wrote: Do we know if the game will be open world yet? I can't find any information on the game beyond the cinematic trailer.

It is actually open world. Check out the Sucker Punch main page under the "Watch the Interview" link:

https://www.suckerpunch.com/category/game/ghost-of-tsushima/

Also found a decent article giving the history of the battle and what we may be able to expect from the game:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/31/the-history-behind-ghost-of-tsushima

Yeah... I'm stoked.

Telekill has received a thanks from: south carmain
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Not exactly the Japan themed open world game I was waiting for but I'm definitely just as hyped.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Telekill » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:02 am

Ha! I totally missed that you had linked the same article.

Really looking forward to this game. I've found that For Honor's samurai group, specifically my Orochi, are really scratching my itch at the moment. I recommend For Honor only if you're playing against the AI. The PvP is horribly flawed and one sided and there is still a good amount of challenge against the AI. Doing co-op with friends is also a blast so if any of you are on PS4 and are going to play For Honor send me an invite and I'll co-op with you (PSN ID is same as on here).
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:14 am

Apparently Ghost of Tsushima is confirmed to be at PSX this year. Roughly 3 weeks and we'll get some more info.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to General Gaming