Shadow of the Colossus

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Shadow of the Colossus

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:57 pm

I really like the game but wouldn't say it's one of the best ever like some, although this looks like one of the best remakes I've ever seen. Super faithful and only adding what it needs.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Shadow of the Colossus

Postby OL » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:23 pm

I do consider it to be one of the greatest games ever, personally, mostly for the fact that it's so simple and elegant in its design, yet still manages to be as exciting and beautiful as it is. Few games before it could pull something like that off so effectively, and most games after it still over-complicate things.
Looking at the remake though, it's actually even prettier than I was expecting. Very nice upgrade. We still have yet to see legitimate gameplay, far as I'm aware, so hopefully that's remained relatively untouched. It's strange with videogames sometimes, where the slightest changes can makes something feel totally different. I know they're aiming to make it basically the exact same thing, but the slightest change in physics could make it feel "weird" to old fans, so hopefully that's not the case.

OL has received a thanks from: elfshadowreaper
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 am

^Here's some gameplay. Granted it's been awhile since I played the game but it seems the same to me.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby punkmanced » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 am

I'm torn on this one.

I consider the original to be an ethereal masterpiece; so, while the remake certainly looks incredible, the lighting is...very different, altering the 'feel' of the game quite noticeably.

I do hope Bluepoint is thinking of including different options for filters, etc, or at the very least, that crafty fans of the original will be on the case somehow.

In any case, I'll buy this one regardless.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:04 pm

The original was a masterpiece. Such a beautiful experience. But it was over way too soon. There are videos on YouTube about cut colossi that really makes me wish we had seen more. But maybe it did more in brevity than it would have in being fuller.

It also captured my emotion more than any other game to that point. I don’t think I had ever exclaimed like I did at that one moment near the end. You know the one I’m taking about. Took me by complete surprise. Such a heartbreaking moment but I didn’t cry. It took another Ico game to break me. Last Guardian had me sobbing. That was a flawed game but very fun.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby King John Blaze » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 pm

Riku Rose wrote: ^Here's some gameplay. Granted it's been awhile since I played the game but it seems the same to me.

phpBB [video]

May pick this up. Though I have never played or seen much of the original game, because I know of the twist at the end, I worry it has completely spoiled the experience for me.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby OL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:53 pm

:lol: Naaaaaaah, don't worry, the "twist" at the end means little. The real joy of the game is actually in playing it. You can know everything that happens in the plot, but actually scaling these giant beasts and solving the puzzles of how to take each one down, all while this grand, epic music score plays, is the real meat of the experience. And that's just the thing: it's an experience, not just a narrative to drift through. Even the act of riding your horse from one battle to the next across this vast, barren landscape feels unlike much of anything else out there. It's a game all about the atmosphere and the adventure, not so much the plot.
So yeah, I think you'd probably still enjoy it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Bluepoint Games hasn’t just settled on a visual make over, either. The controls have cleverly tweaked to improve the gameplay experience.

The PS4’s touch pad handily lets you bring up a map, while jump has been moved to the X button instead of the triangle button. The dodge roll is also now mapped to the circle button, making it easier to deploy than the previous R1 + triangle combo.

Although purists still have the option to go back to the classic controls, these changes show the developer’s willingness to make the game as accessible as possible, while retaining familiar quirks for veterans.

And as such, it all feels natural and intuitive. Crucially, although moved, Wander’s grab button (which you’ll be using a lot – no, seriously) is still located on the Dualshock 4’s shoulder (R2), meaning clinging to a colossus for dear life is still as terrifyingly intense as it always has been.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/11 ... -hands-on/
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 pm

Pretty cool comparison and they've announced a special edition.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Return to General Gaming