Detroit: Become Human

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Detroit: Become Human

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:02 pm

phpBB [video]

I'm always interested in David Cage games but I just want to see how these changed can effect the overall game rather then the single scenes. I know most Quantic Dream games don't change their story much depending on your decisions but I got the point people can react differently 7 years ago when I saw Heavy Rain.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Mr357
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Detroit: Become Human

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Bring it on David Cage! I was a bit lukewarm of this game at this years E3 but after trying the demo at EGX and seeing today's trailer I'm really excited for this project again. It won't be too long till this comes out either now so that's good, very promising.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Mr357 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:14 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote: Bring it on David Cage! I was a bit lukewarm of this game at this years E3 but after trying the demo at EGX and seeing today's trailer I'm really excited for this project again. It won't be too long till this comes out either now so that's good, very promising.

What was the gameplay like? I've been very interested in this game since it was first revealed, but I'm concerned that it will have too little player involvement and interactivity. I'm not too keen on the formula used for Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy), Heavy Rain, etc.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby King John Blaze » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:45 pm

I was fortunate enough NOT to play Beyond Two Souls initially and pick it up on the PS4. On the PS3, the story is in a random order which spoils the illusion of the decision making process, something I noticed when playing the demo. I actually enjoyed the game, despite noticing the flaws, and really enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain.

This will probably not be a day one purchase but a definite one assuming it achieves half-decent review scores.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Mr357 wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote: Bring it on David Cage! I was a bit lukewarm of this game at this years E3 but after trying the demo at EGX and seeing today's trailer I'm really excited for this project again. It won't be too long till this comes out either now so that's good, very promising.

What was the gameplay like? I've been very interested in this game since it was first revealed, but I'm concerned that it will have too little player involvement and interactivity. I'm not too keen on the formula used for Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy), Heavy Rain, etc.

Hmmm, there's a lot of involvement and interactivity I'd say (especially in comparison the majority of telltale's recent output, which has been distilled to just dialogue choices and not-very-well-made QTE's) but it still is very much iterative to the Fahrenheit/Heavy rain formula. Even down to the tank-ish controls. I'm pretty much confident to say if you didn't like the gameplay there, you probably wouldn't like the gameplay offering for detriot either, it's very much familiar to those games. It also uses a lot of the controller's other input options like sixaxis for some of the detective work and the touchpad for navigating an iPad in one instance.

I do get ya though, normally I'm not one for these types of games that don't include any means of puzzle-solving, but I do like how cage's games do give you a sense of role-play. After playing fahrenheit once, I've played 1/3 of it many times after but stop when the game starts to take a nose-dive plot wise (not to mention the kid-stealth sections). I felt content after my first time playing heavy rain too and just watched my sister playthrough after that. I think the actual premise of the story in this type of narrative-adventure genre is what makes it enticing for me more than anything else.

Overall, I am still concerned that too many key scenes have been shown off for a long time now (a great example is Fahrenheit's demo which is just the 'escaping the diner' scenerio being indicative of the rest of the game) and as much as I loved the demo for Detroit at EGX, I left feeling that it's setting itself a very very high bar.

Heavy rain vastly improved much of fahrenheit's abrupt "and that's how my story ends" moments by making the story continue no matter the decision made, making it seamless but at the same time can cause major plot-holes

Overall, there are some that are very critical of Cage and . Even if I thought some of his games like Beyond: two Souls were a bit lukewarm, I just find incredibly engrossing to play. It think it's because he's very much an ordinary guy who constructs his games in such a unique way that it still makes it engaging to play no-matter how bat-sh*t crazy it can get.

Also, a lot of other games make it very clear when a branching story-arch/narrative juncture takes place (i.e. telltale's "He will remember that." written on the top left or moments in other games where the game stops and a binary decision is made. I've appreciated in Cage's games that it's a lot more subtle that that. it can often feel like there's only one way before you go online and discover that it's actually very intricate and nuanced in approach compared to similar games.

Also: the acting is much better in this game than that of many moments in heavy Rain, although we'll only know when the game comes out if Cage's writing holds up throughout. There's also a danger of things just being really mushy

So yeah, I'd still be sceptical but it has been in development for a long time (hopefully for a good reason) and I do find that overall the gameplay has actually gotten better game-by-game... The production values of the demo really stood out to mem the faces, the environment, the lighting, the music(!), the interactivity and acting, everything felt very on point for such a small amount of time. (worth noting: the demo that was there at EGX was last years E3 demo, the one with the android holding the girl hostage on the rooftops, so it's quite an old demo...)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:54 am

Quite a heated interview on EuroGamer between David Cage and the interviewer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... c-violence

Domestic abuse and child abuse is quite extreme as these things go.

David Cage: Let me ask you this question. Would you ask this question to a film director, or to a writer? Would you?

Yes.

David Cage: You would ask the same question?

Yes. I'd ask the same question. Why is it interesting to you? Why did you want to explore domestic abuse and child abuse?

David Cage: Why did I want to do this? For me it's a very strong and moving scene, and I was interested to put the player in the position of this woman. I chose her point of view. If I'd have chosen the point of view of the man it could have been a totally different story and with totally different emotions, but in this case I chose her point of view. There's a context in the story, there's a reason for that - where she comes from and where she's going to go. What's important to me, and what's important in Detroit is to say that a game is as legitimate as a film or a book or a play to explore any topic such as domestic abuse.

So why did you choose to use domestic abuse to illustrate these points?

David Cage: You don't choose to talk about domestic abuse. It's not like I was like 'oh, let's write a scene about domestic abuse'. It's not how it works. When you're a writer you talk about things that move you, that you feel really deep inside you that's something that moves you, and you hope it'll move people too. You know there are two ways you can do this - 'oh let's do something cool and let's have someone beaten by a man', that's one way of doing things, because people are going to write about it and it's going to sell my game. That's one way of doing it.

The other way is to say I'm working on something important, something meaningful and something moving. There's a meaning behind it, there's a strong story I need to tell - it goes through dark moments, but I think the story I have to tell it as it's something important for me. And I think when you do this, you do your work as an author, you do your work as a writer. You go into dark places, in order to create something positive about it. It's never a conscious decision to say let's talk about something cool and violence - no, I want to talk about something moving and meaningful, that's my job as a writer. I'm the first judge, and I hope that people will feel the same.

Got to say I side with Cage on this occasion, the interviewer was being a bit of a dick here, Cage isn't trying to write a scene just for shock factor but to intrigue and push the envelope a bit and make people think. I always like it when games put people out of their comfort zones and get them to think. There's actually a surprising little amount of games that go in these directions in the AAA games nowadays. I'm not a big fan of the guy by any means, I still think Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy has one of the worst scripts/stories I've seen in a game (after the first third) but I can commend him for going less batshit insane with his script writing/plotting like he used to here. I think the game looks good.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 am

That just reeks of trying to make a controversy rather then report on one. I bet the guys main hope out of the interview is that he would slip up and say something stupid. I’ve not actually seen anyone who’s offended by it but just tons of people saying that someone might be. It reminds me of when Assassin’s Creed III came out and everyone was saying how English people might get offended you kill nothing but English people, yet when it came out no one cared.

Maybe wait for someone to be offended first before we make a big thing about it. But my suggestion to them will be to play something else rather then demand this shouldn’t .
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby JohnBlack » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:57 am

I dont get all this hype about Cage's games. Heavy Rain was awful, if you think about it: the game with main focus on plot, contains tons of plot holes and just plain stupid lines. Just cant get it...
JohnBlack
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:03 pm

For me it's not so much the story but it's more being presented with choices. I enjoy being presented with a situation that isn't are you a good person or a bad person (Fable/inFamous) but more a bunch of options which are all grey areas. It's why I love Telltale games like The Walking Dead and Batman, me and a friend have debated for ages many times after both playing the Walking Dead episodes about how we would approach a situation.

I also just like that David Cage is passionate about his work. The guy who made the Mario & Rabbids game cried at E3 because he was so happy and everyone was saying how amazing it is that his passionate. David Cage talks about how passionate he is and people just say his a dick no matter what he says. Seems like it's cool to dislike the guy and everyone jumps on the bandwagon, he may not be the best writer in the world but good writers in video games are quite rare. With any people in the limelight I generally save hate for people who deserve it, I don't like The Big Bang Theory but I won't call the actors in it dicks just for being in something I dislike when you have famous people like OJ Simpson to hate instead.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Return to General Gaming