Anyone else sick of multiplayer?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Anyone else sick of multiplayer?

Postby Mr.Jigen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:15 am

These online multiplayer games such as PUBG, Overwatch and LOL are so tiring and I wish they would just go away, am I the only one who feels this?
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: Anyone else sick of multiplayer?

Postby OL » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 am

If you don't like them, don't play them. What's tiring about something you don't have to play?

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Mr.Jigen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 am

OL wrote: If you don't like them, don't play them. What's tiring about something you don't have to play?

It seems to me now that it is hard to connect with friends because they are constantly playing and don't just want to something other than play more matches of the game. Maybe I alienate myself by not liking these types of games I just wanna know why people don't just play local multiplayer anymore. The more opt answer the games piss me off because all my friends play them and never stop to do anything else.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby OL » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:35 am

You have to have everyone in the same room to play local multiplayer. It isn't always practical.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Mr.Jigen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 am

OL wrote: You have to have everyone in the same room to play local multiplayer. It isn't always practical.

The point is even when we meet up in person they still do nothing but play online. I know my viewpoint is unfair towards the games it just frustrates me.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Mr. Frozen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 am

I know you created this topic to complain about your friends who would rather play video games than hang out, but I am just gonna use your topic to rant about multiplayer games now.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy multiplayer games and want to play with other people, but I do end up hating the majority of popular online games. These popular games seem to rely on getting the player addicted to keep him or her engaged, which is something I am immune to. I never was a competitive guy so maybe that is why I can't get into these games that so many people seem to be addicted to. I couldn't give a single fuck about incrementing a virtual number in a video game, I play games to experience and explore virtual worlds. The popular games that you mentioned really don't give players any sort of incentive to interact with each other, which kinda defeats the purpose of online play for me. Sure you can join clans and whatnot but that has always been way too much work for me. Like I just wanna hop in a game and have fun. I didn't want to have to search for other people and fill out clan applications like I am applying for a job. I used to like MMOs because the player to player interaction was a large part of the game's design. I remember reading on Raph Kosters blog about how he introduced the concept of shuttle wait times and wounds to SWG as a way to force players to interact with each other, and it worked. I enjoyed SWG because it felt like a world populated with other people that relied on each other. It was great. Then along came WoW, which destroyed the concept of an immersive MMO forever. If a MMO didn't try to steal WoW's userbase by copying WoW's game mechanics it didn't get any funding. I don't think any other game killed off its own genre like WoW did.

As for games that I do like, I have been playing a lot of Sea of Thieves and Star Trek Bridge Crew this year. I've been playing Sea of Thieves so much that Rare recently sent me an email saying "Hey, it doesn't look like you have a life. How about you join a special test group?" Anyway, I enjoy these games because player interaction is an integral part of gameplay. These games have no bullshit grind for levels and upgrades (Bridge Crew has no upgrades, and almost all of the extra stuff you can buy in Sea of Thieves is 100% useless), all entertainment is creates by your interactions between you and your crew. This is the experience I want when I play online. I don't see Sea of Thieves taking off, though. It is a great game but it won't attract the audience that is addicted to games like Overwatch and League of Legends.

I also enjoyed Rocket League for a little while, but the shitty community got too much for me. I either had to play the game like it was a job to maintain a high ranking and play with the pleasant, but ridiculously skilled players, or I would drop down to a lower ranking that had all the toxic players who took the game waaaaaaay to fucking seriously. Didn't play unranked that much because the players in most unranked games are so terrible that you might as well be playing by yourself.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr.Jigen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 am

Mr. Frozen wrote: I know you created this topic to complain about your friends who would rather play video games than hang out, but I am just gonna use your topic to rant about multiplayer games now.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy multiplayer games and want to play with other people, but I do end up hating the majority of popular online games. These popular games seem to rely on getting the player addicted to keep him or her engaged, which is something I am immune to. I never was a competitive guy so maybe that is why I can't get into these games that so many people seem to be addicted to. I couldn't give a single fuck about incrementing a virtual number in a video game, I play games to experience and explore virtual worlds. The popular games that you mentioned really don't give players any sort of incentive to interact with each other, which kinda defeats the purpose of online play for me. Sure you can join clans and whatnot but that has always been way too much work for me. Like I just wanna hop in a game and have fun. I didn't want to have to search for other people and fill out clan applications like I am applying for a job. I used to like MMOs because the player to player interaction was a large part of the game's design. I remember reading on Raph Kosters blog about how he introduced the concept of shuttle wait times and wounds to SWG as a way to force players to interact with each other, and it worked. I enjoyed SWG because it felt like a world populated with other people that relied on each other. It was great. Then along came WoW, which destroyed the concept of an immersive MMO forever. If a MMO didn't try to steal WoW's userbase by copying WoW's game mechanics it didn't get any funding. I don't think any other game killed off its own genre like WoW did.

As for games that I do like, I have been playing a lot of Sea of Thieves and Star Trek Bridge Crew this year. I've been playing Sea of Thieves so much that Rare recently sent me an email saying "Hey, it doesn't look like you have a life. How about you join a special test group?" Anyway, I enjoy these games because player interaction is an integral part of gameplay. These games have no bullshit grind for levels and upgrades (Bridge Crew has no upgrades, and almost all of the extra stuff you can buy in Sea of Thieves is 100% useless), all entertainment is creates by your interactions between you and your crew. This is the experience I want when I play online. I don't see Sea of Thieves taking off, though. It is a great game but it won't attract the audience that is addicted to games like Overwatch and League of Legends.

I also enjoyed Rocket League for a little while, but the shitty community got too much for me. I either had to play the game like it was a job to maintain a high ranking and play with the pleasant, but ridiculously skilled players, or I would drop down to a lower ranking that had all the toxic players who took the game waaaaaaay to fucking seriously. Didn't play unranked that much because the players in most unranked games are so terrible that you might as well be playing by yourself.

I am sorry about using this topic to complain I was intending it to be an actual discussion. These games just make me feel alienated from people I am close to. I agree with your opinions and I have multiple reasons why I think these games are not only not good experiences but are also bad for people.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:04 am

Mr.Jigen wrote: These online multiplayer games such as PUBG, Overwatch and LOL are so tiring and I wish they would just go away, am I the only one who feels this?

I don't care for those games but what I hate is that online is now so forced on everyone it ruins games like gta. we get no gta 5 offline dlc because they make more money on the online part, which I don't care for at all. we could get much better games if they stopped focusing on online, unfortunately young people care a lot about online. I used to do in the late 90s and early 2000s but at my stage in life I don't have that much time I only want to play games alone or with friends in front of a tv with a beer.

I also fear rockstar is spending a lot of time and money in an online world of the new read dead redemption, which takes time, money and resources away from making an even better offline game.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Telekill » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:31 am

I enjoy co-op multiplayer and often will buy games for that reason alone assuming I know other's that I can co-op with. That's why I bought Battlefront 2 last month. Sadly, they aren't always available to play with online so then I move to my single player games. I'm still somewhere in the middle of Horizon Zero Dawn and keep going back to that when friends and family aren't online.

If a game is primarily competitive online then I generally don't bother consider buying it these days.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Mr.Jigen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:12 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
Mr.Jigen wrote: These online multiplayer games such as PUBG, Overwatch and LOL are so tiring and I wish they would just go away, am I the only one who feels this?

I don't care for those games but what I hate is that online is now so forced on everyone it ruins games like gta. we get no gta 5 offline dlc because they make more money on the online part, which I don't care for at all. we could get much better games if they stopped focusing on online, unfortunately young people care a lot about online. I used to do in the late 90s and early 2000s but at my stage in life I don't have that much time I only want to play games alone or with friends in front of a tv with a beer.

I also fear rockstar is spending a lot of time and money in an online world of the new read dead redemption, which takes time, money and resources away from making an even better offline game.

I don't mind online necessarily however, it has become so much more toxic and mean since the 90's/2000's. I wonder if PSO had these problems when it was still a big game.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Return to General Gaming