Games similar to Shenmue or Yakuza?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Games similar to Shenmue or Yakuza?

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:50 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Mr357 wrote:On top of that, it has a decent number of David Cage's stupid quirks.

Which ones?

I know the game well (it's one of my all time favorites in fact, despite its flaws), but can't see much connection with the criticisms levelled at Cage's later games.

Omikron!

David Bowie FTW, super fun game, but, like the other QD games mentioned in this thread, gameplay is a bit on the clunky side.

Truck_1_0_1_ has received a thanks from: KiBa
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby KiBa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Did I (or someone else) mention Mizzurna Falls before? It was quite an ambitious Twin Peaks homage directed by Taichi Ishizuka (whose career story and all the issues surrounding the development of Mizzurna Falls are worth a book imho). I would describe it as Shenmue-lite in that it was a cult game that tries to simulate an open world town, day and night and weather cycles, some vehicles, but only a rudimentary fighting system, and PS1 limits. Probably the closest thing to what Shenmue on Saturn would've been like. Still, if you like old games, you might enjoy it. It's an atmospheric experience. However, it was only released in Japan, and there was no English version till fans made one recently. You might have to do some digging to find a patch, but the text files are available on the site linked below. Resident Evie also has a YouTube channel where she translates the dialogue as she plays through the entire game.

The following interview about the making of the game is very interesting:

http://projectmizzurna.tumblr.com/post/ ... tor-taichi

KiBa has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Abraham_1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Shenmue and Yakuza being completely different games is made all the more apparent when you try recommending similar games.

For Shenmue, assuming you’re going for realism, try the newly released Kingdom Come Deliverance. Also look at Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley. Yes these are different games, but the way the world and NPCs are presented is similar. Same could be said about Persona, albeit loosely.

Definitely also check out Deadly Premonition. Yes it has its problems, and is very much a love or hate game, but I love how the NPCs have daily routines and the corny humour.

For Yakuza, assuming you’re going for the OTT and brawler style combat, definitely look at God Hand. I don’t think this game has been mentioned and it is so underrated and awesome. Also look at Sleeping Dogs (as suggested).

(Edit) Someone did suggest God Hand. Thank you, Mr357.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:35 pm

Abraham_1 wrote: Shenmue and Yakuza being completely different games is made all the more apparent when you try recommending similar games.

Also look at Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley. Yes these are different games, but the way the world and NPCs are presented is similar. Same could be said about Persona, albeit loosely.

Ha! I was just going to suggest Animal Crossings too. 8) No fighting of course and when looking at it at face value, you probably would have no idea why it would even be suggested, yet it can be thought of as Shenmuesq... I even believe you get to get your own Nintendo system to play old Nintendo games on it inside the game world. Just do yourself a favor and do not skip or forget a day of playing... you wont like it back upon your return. :shock: The cool thing about AC though is that the time of day in game corresponds with YOUR time of day. So if you play it at noon time it is noon there. 11pm your time and it is night time there. Of course you can off set your clock if you always only get to play at night due to school or work, and then play at your night but there day.

I would also suggest Morrowind and or Gothic. The way the NPCs treat you, weather effects, times of day, etc. could be construed as Shenmueish... Mount & Blade is also pretty good in terms of the larger details, like massive armies and castles. But the finer points like townsfolk and simple villages are kind of lost in translation... However there is one mod called Evlat that is about a single father and his two adult children as the roam the country side. It is more "home grown" than the usual storm all kingdoms with massive armies to win and it is modded in such a way to feel more close knit, Shenmue fans may enjoy it.
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:32 pm

We have so many different Yakuza games that I've felt the need to go look elsewhere for a similar experience lol that aside if we're talking about heavily story driven games that have got nothing to do with either shenmue or yakuza but have a ton of character interactivity then perhaps the witcher series might interest you with its detailed worlds and diverse dialogue options. It doesn't have martial arts but you do so much prancing around when fighting that you might end up feeling like jackie chan in 1980s hong kong. But like 99% of what has been recommended in this thread it won't really remind you of shenmue, just have some lightly related aspects that could make you enjoy the game.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Previous

Return to General Gaming