Yuji Naka Joins Square-Enix

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Yuji Naka Joins Square-Enix

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:28 am

Yuji Naka, the former head of the Sonic Team and lead programmer of the original Sonic the Hedgehog games for Sega Genesis, joined Square Enix in January, he announced on Twitter.

“Just a quick note to let you know, I joined Square Enix in January,” Naka said. “I’m joining game development as before, and strive to develop games at Square Enix. I aim to develop an enjoyable game, please look forward to it.”

After leaving Sonic Team in 2006, Naka founded Prope, a company that went on to develop several titles, including Ivy the Kiwi?, Fishing Resort, Digimon Adventure, and Rodea the Sky Soldier. Naka did not announce whether his joining Square Enix will affect Prope.

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/sonic-hedge ... j4Oq3AW.99

Sounds like something made by a random headline generator. Can’t say this fills me with excitement as nothing he’s done recently has caught my eye.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Yuji Naka Joins Square-Enix

Postby Mr. Frozen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Time for Yuji Naka to slowly destroy another franchise.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Yuji Naka is great. Kiwi and fishing resort were pretty fun too. Plus Naka was around when sonic wasn’t complete shit, don’t be hatin.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:54 pm

Yeah, Naka left Sonic Team just before they went all shitty. Rodea: Sky Soldier was really underrated and Let's Tap was a fun game as well. Never played Ivy the Kiwi but was supposed to be good.

Kinda interested what he's doing. Reviving Mischief Makers? Closest Square-Enix IP that would suit him, unless he's going back to programming or creating tools/leading teams for game creation in house at Square-Enix. Or if they're letting him create a new IP, all the better.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Thief wrote:Plus Naka was around when sonic wasn’t complete shit, don’t be hatin.

He also helped kill any remaining chance the Saturn had by threatening to leave Sega unless the Nights engine was pulled from Sonic X-treme development, effectively cancelling it.

Naka has done a great deal for the industry (Burning Rangers and Sonic Adventure still remain two of my all time favourites)... but sadly he has a lot to answer for too :sad:
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:45 pm

To be fair, he did make some good games back in the 2000s. PSO and PSO Card Revolution were great. And wasn't also Bily Hatcher Naka's work? That wasn't bad. Even Sonic Adventure 2 was ok back in the day I guess. Nowhere near as abysmal as Forces. Oh yeah, and I really loved Puyo Puyo fever back when it came out. Also I think it was Sega's last first-party game for the DC.

So with Yuji Naka joining SquareEnix, yeah, I'm interested in what he's gonna do. If he puts out a new game I'll at least read some reviews and watch some footage. Can't say I'll buy it directly but if it gets good reviews, why not? I'd appreciate his comeback.

I mean he tarnished his name a bit with stuff like Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog but still, he made some of my favorite games of all time, such as Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Nights. So at least, I'll give him another shot.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm

New Phantasy Star maybe?

New Chu Chu Rocket would be fine with me, although Duck Marines is a worthy indie remake.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Square's best days are behind them. I wish he'd get a job at Nintendo and collaborate with Miyamoto on a Sonic game. Nintendo would ensure it wouldn't suck.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Return to General Gaming