UK General Election

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: UK General Election

Postby Sonikku » Thu May 14, 2015 3:52 pm

south carmain wrote: They're not abolishing the human rights act they're taking it out of the control of the EU. That said this does give them the power to change it although they stated that they won't as it's fine as it is.

"We're fine with it exactly as it is, we just want the power to change it, for reasons".

lol.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Shenmuedabest
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Brosauce » Thu May 14, 2015 3:59 pm

I really do not have any idea about the Elections as a youngin' but the Conservatives are just for the rich making the poor even more poorer which is having an effect on my lousy future since parents on benefits will be taken away. People's futures may imminently become tougher.
Brosauce
Banned
Banned

PSN: Playstation Network
XBL: Xbox Live
Nintendo FC: Nintendo Network
Steam: Steam ID
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Education

Postby Shenmuedabest » Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Sonikku wrote:
south carmain wrote: They're not abolishing the human rights act they're taking it out of the control of the EU. That said this does give them the power to change it although they stated that they won't as it's fine as it is.

"We're fine with it exactly as it is, we just want the power to change it, for reasons".

lol.

Exactly. They have stated that they have a replacement, but they haven't divulged what will be contained therein. It's fucking worrying.
Shenmuedabest
Banned
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Thu May 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Sonikku wrote:

lol.

Makes sense to me. The European Union actually makes the majority of our laws and not our own government. Can't blame them for wanting to have more control over what happens in our own country. I'm sure Americans would kick off if suddenly a new government made rules that the entire American continent had to follow and the White House had no say in the matter. I'm not saying all the laws they pass are bad or that we should change everything but it's strange to me that I live in the UK and the majority of the laws of my country are passed across an ocean by people who may have never been here.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Shenmuedabest » Thu May 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Sonikku wrote:

lol.

Makes sense to me. The European Union actually makes the majority of our laws and not our own government. Can't blame them for wanting to have more control over what happens in our own country. I'm sure Americans would kick off if suddenly a new government made rules that the entire American continent had to follow and the White House had no say in the matter. I'm not saying all the laws they pass are bad or that we should change everything but it's strange to me that I live in the UK and the majority of the laws of my country are passed across an ocean by people who may have never been here.

Why do they need to change it though? Have you read what the Human Rights Act consists of at all or are you just following that same old blinkered opinion of it needing to be done away with just because immigrants are terking er jerbs? FFS, the Human Rights Act is there to protect YOU, it's not just there to provide convenient loopholes for Eastern European dossers wanting to claim benefits. If the Tories are able to make amendments at their own leisure then this could have serious repercussions for everyone.
Shenmuedabest
Banned
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Thu May 14, 2015 7:40 pm

You're jumping to conclusions a bit. I never said I wanted it to be done away with at all, I just said that I'd rather the UK government be in control of their own laws and have the power to change them then have Brussels hold that power.

Also just because I have some concerns about the way our human rights is currently handled doesn't mean I hate all immigrants and blame them for the countries problems.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Shenmuedabest » Fri May 15, 2015 4:46 am

Riku Rose wrote: You're jumping to conclusions a bit. I never said I wanted it to be done away with at all, I just said that I'd rather the UK government be in control of their own laws and have the power to change them then have Brussels hold that power.

Also just because I have some concerns about the way our human rights is currently handled doesn't mean I hate all immigrants and blame them for the countries problems.

Scrapping the HRA to make it easier to deport the handful of people who manipulate the system to their advantage is just lunacy. For better or worse, the HRA is absolute and non-negotiable, the second it becomes open to interpretation it becomes a dangerous thing. I'm not necessarily saying that within a year protesters will start getting locked up, I'm just saying that by tampering with it to fit a certain agenda, the opportunity arises to gradually start moving the goalposts.

If you can't agree with that then you're simply not approaching this in a rational way.

EDIT -

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 46381.html

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone.”

Cameron is not just saying that people holding extreme religious views or inciting racial hate are to be held accountable, he is saying that anyone who they believe to be acting 'anti-democratically' will be seen as an extremist. Worrying.
Shenmuedabest
Banned
Banned

Postby beedle » Tue May 19, 2015 8:34 am

south carmain wrote:
beedle wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote:One thing that I definitely know I want out of our government is stability, because it's just about the best alternative to transparency that we're gonna get. If that means the Tories are still in power, so be it. Considering how ruthless they've been, it could turn out to be for the best in terms of future government. If they've reduced the deficit as much as they claim, this may mean that the next party to take hold have a lot more wiggle room in terms of the overall budget.

This is the problem - the Tories haven't been great on the economy. The deficit has increased. GDP growth is down since 2010. NHS bureaucracy (which the reforms were designed to cut down on) has increased. Their economic reforms have utterly failed, yet the opposition have not once capitalised on it. The economy has been terrible for the past five years: remember the double dip recession scare? Other countries who have actually had competent spending policies, their economies are now doing BETTER than ours. We've not only gone through the painful cuts, the pay cuts and the suffering, but we have nothing to show for it. But who publically called them on their terrible record? Labour has just shot itself in the foot and assumed it would win by simply existing.

Labour cocked up on the economy. The Tories let the wound fester and now we're in a way worse position than we were five years ago.

There was one quarter in 2010 where the economy grew at a higher % than current levels however that was recovering from the extreme negative growth caused by the recession so was actually less in total numbers than it is growing now. The economy is currently growing and healthy however the problem is that this growth doesn't reflect the whole of society, for many lower class people we might as well still be in a recession as it stands.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/10613201

0.3% growth, yes. After five years. The economy began to tank when austerity measures were implemented, and has only NOW begun to pick up now austerity had been scaled back by the government.The reason for which was because we ALMOST FELL BACK INTO ANOTHER RECESSION. The Tory propaganda on the economy is utterly ridiculous and simply outright lies. Yet barely anyone is calling them on it.

beedle has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Wait, you Britz have elections? I thought you employed a wise old Queen and her vast extended family of enlightened scholars and brave warriors to run things.

KiBa has received 2 thanks from: Sonikku, St. Elmo's Fire
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu May 21, 2015 1:14 pm

KiBa wrote: Wait, you Britz have elections? I thought you employed a wise old Queen and her vast extended family of enlightened scholars and brave warriors to run things.

Yep, it's actually just like Game of Thrones here.

Nice to see you post again. :)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Howdy, SEF. With Angel Eyes there, at first glance I thought you were Clint. ;-)
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri May 22, 2015 11:49 am

Close, he was playing Colonel Douglas Mortimer, possibly the only guy to ever truly put Mr. Eastwood in his place in gunfighting terms, in that pic though. If Clint still posted regularly I'd probably have not used it since it'd look kinda rude being all "opposite" and all that. :D

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: KiBa
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Shenmuedabest » Sat May 23, 2015 8:45 pm

Get a room.

Let's continue talking about real world shit please.
Shenmuedabest
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sat May 23, 2015 10:58 pm

I dont think I ever spoke to Clint. The name doesnt even ring a bell.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun May 24, 2015 6:00 am

Shenmuedabest wrote: Get a room.

Let's continue talking about real world shit please.

:roll: :roll:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic