So how is the bullet train system in Japan?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

So how is the bullet train system in Japan?

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:00 am

Hi all

I know some forum goers here have gone to Japan here and I am going this year but how easy is it to travel as a foreigner? Living in London the tourists generally find it easy as the train lines are colour coded, so if your stop is on the red line you just got to get the train from any red line station.

But in general, are the train lines colour coded, are signs in English, are there tons of stops which can make it confusing etc? I go for two weeks so I want a 14 day Japanese rail pass to make the most of the situation and travel pretty much all over.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: So how is the bullet train system in Japan?

Postby Axm » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:21 am

Yes to all your questions.

It's very easy. I've used it quite alot. I live in southern Japan and most recently I went to a friends wedding up in northern Japan. First by plane to get up there and then to get to the city he was in, jumped on the shinkansen and got to his wedding all in the same day.
Then because flights were too expensive during that time of the week I decided it was best to just take the shinkansen all the way from northern Japan back to southern Japan.

That took about 8 hours but was fairly painless as its just like getting on any other train except you have a designated seat or sit in a car that has open seating depending on your ticket.
Not really much more to say. Just do it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby abaww » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:06 am

Shinkansen in just great. Last week I went from Kyoto to Tokyo by Shinkansen Nozomi and it took just about 2 hours. :P
abaww
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: abaww

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:42 am

Axm wrote: Yes to all your questions.
Just do it.

Oh yeah most definitely, I'll never end up going otherwise if I don't take the risk. If it's really overwhelming I suppose I can pay for a tour guide for one day and that will help me get used to the system.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Snakiest » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:59 am

In my opinion, only the bus system is more confusing here than trains. Both require some basic skills in Japanese to at least ask a nice station officer.

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest

Postby Three Blades » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:08 am

Every single station's name is written in English, so you'll have no problems there.
Some of the bigger stations can be confusing, but there are always staff members to help you. In case of doubt just say "(station name) nanban?" while pointing at the platform (roughly means "what platform number for (station name))?" they'll understand and tell you the number. Easy!
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby streetwaves » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:43 pm

I went to Japan in December for the first time with extremely few Japanese language skills, and landed at 10PM or so (IIRC) and had to get from Narita to Tokyo by bus and then take the Shinkansen to Nagoya. It was late, I was tired, but I made it despite some confusion and having to ask for some direction to the right track after buying my ticket. Just learn enough basic Japanese to ask for help and you should be fine. Everyone was quite helpful.
streetwaves
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby Snakiest » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Google Maps made it a lot easier though. Buses and trains are no longer an issue for me. Thank you Google for fixing Japanese transportation. -)

In Yu we trust.

Snakiest has received a thanks from: ConanTheKing
Snakiest

Return to Off Topic