General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:35 pm

That is good to know Sonikku, I have been thinking about how I need to go back and watch the rest of the episodes. As much as I love the anime and characters, it really needs to end, especially considering all the filler in the original and current show, it flawed the show big time thanks to that, made everyone wait, and just blah. Considering I started watching the show back in 2002 when it first started... its been a long way coming, i'll get to it eventually. I finished up Bleach this year (which I also started watching literally day 1 when fan subs were available and it was a long ways coming to keep up with), this year looks like it will be Naruto, im ready. Wish me luck as I prepare for the trying task of figuring out which episode I watched last lol
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:50 am

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:51 pm

and i just heard about the rumors of the next Naruto series... No its not a spin off. :lol:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:25 pm

More power to you if you're into it, but I'm getting out now while I can.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:25 pm

Well, its still only just rumors, and unless their is manga that its based on, it will just be one big filler fest *cough* dragon ball super *cough* even though I am stilling enjoying DBS :P Unfortunately Naruto is notorious for having alot of bad filler, DBZ had... the garlic jr saga? :lol: 1 arc that was like 10 episodes or something, and it wasnt bad by DBZ standards. I would like to hear more about this new Naruto anime before writing it off, but as for now I am kind of under the mind set I want out too after Shippuden.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:54 am

Bungou Stray Dogs. It's alright but I wouldn't say it's anything amazing, it does have some cool moments though.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:01 am

JoJos Bizzare Adventure, it started airing on Toonami so I have been DVRing it. Its funny out of all these years I have been aware of JoJos Bizzare Adventure, I never played any of the games, or even really knew what the franchise was about. Now I do, and while I dont think I am going to try to go back and check out all the previous media, the anime is definitely intruiging, glad I finally came around.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Calshot wrote: I just watched all of Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers yesterday.
Every time the Demon Lord arises and threatens to wipe out humanity, the goddess saint splits her power into six heroes to give them the strength needed to save the world. However, when the heroes all meet up at the entrance to the Land of Demons, seven of them show up. They have to figure out who the fake one is lest they kill the wrong one and lower theirs odds of beating the Demon Lord.

It takes a few episodes to get into the main plot, but it's pretty well-paced once it gets going. I'm a sucker for whodunnits, so this is my favorite anime of the season. It's also got some neat Mesoamerican stylings (with the typical anime liberties taken of course).

I'm considering watching this, but does it have an actual ending or a cliffhanger that might never be resolved?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Ziming » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm considering watching this, but does it have an actual ending or a cliffhanger that might never be resolved?

I've seen it. Doesn't end in a cliffhanger but there are still some unresolved matters in the story that won't be addressed until a second season is made.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:24 pm

Do you think it's worth watching? Is a second season being made?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Ziming » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Sonikku wrote: Do you think it's worth watching? Is a second season being made?

Yeah it's worth seeing once. Nothing yet on a second season.

I do have a few recommendations if you change your mind:

Mob Psycho 100
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
ThunderBolt Fantasy (Seen this recently)
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
Garo-Honoo-no-Kokuin

Ziming has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Finished watching aldnoah zero. The ending felt rushed and contrived.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:01 am

New trailer for Ghost in the Shell, plus a small featurette.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:05 am

Some things I like about it, some things I dont. Seems my initial thoughts about them getting the design of the world down was spot on. Noticed a few scenes that were from the original film, although from how they are talking it doesnt seem like its just a remake of the original film... yet there are scenes from it? Its kind of odd, and makes me raise an eye brow.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:51 pm

As always, every version of Ghost in the Shell is a completely separate entity, so I don't know why it should raise any eyebrows. There are bound to be references all over the place, even if the story is totally different.
I agree they've got some of the visual design work down. Nothing wrong with that stuff, really. It looks nice.
But I still take issue with the entire project regardless. I won't be able to get over the casting of a bunch of non-Japanese actors as Japanese characters, no matter how much they try to explain it away. You can say "she has an artificial body, so she doesn't necessarily have to look Japanese" all you like, but it still doesn't come off as anything other than a bullshit excuse. These characters all have Japanese names, yet they've got an American white girl playing Kusanagi, a Dane playing Batou, an Australian playing Ishikawa, an American white dude playing Kuze, and an African guy playing Boma. Even in the one instance where they actually hired an Asian person for one of the members of Section 9 (Togusa), they got a Chinese guy instead of a Japanese one. In a story so firmly rooted in Japanese society and politics, this is all just a bunch of politically-correct casting bullshit.
But that's all been said.
Looking at the trailer itself, I do have to say I'm weirdly disappointed that they've pretty much just lifted so many of the visuals from the Oshii movie. Practically 90% of the freakin' trailer is all just swiped from that one, solitary source. With so much Ghost in the Shell to pull from (the multiple comic series, the multiple tv shows, the multiple movies), it's odd that they seemingly decided to just lift from that one example.
Additionally, it seems like they've totally missed the point of the Ghost in the Shell mythos entirely. They seem to have turned it into some sterile, hackneyed, Hollywood crap about her being a new kind of android or something, instead of focusing on the undertones of individuality in a world totally connected by the net. Way to fuck that up.

Sure, it's not like I've seen the full movie or anything. Whatever. As much as I love the franchise it's inspired by, I'm just not digging what I've seen of this movie so far. The visuals seem nice, but it all just comes off as a shallow, westernized copy-and-paste job so far. Meh.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic