Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Ziming » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:11 pm

It's still quite a catchy song and the best way to learn all the countries. :D

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, myshtuff, OL
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Ziming » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 am

Exactly one year later after the Brussels suicide bombings.

It just so happens the date or I should say the number 322 is often brought up in conspiracy topics.
http://rense.com/general90/weid.htm

phpBB [video]

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:28 am

The irony is all the outrage etc. that we're encouraged to feel, yet our wonderful UK politicians will use some of OUR taxes to encourage, train and support other Islamists to go and do exactly the same sort of things in Syria. Hypocritical as fuck!
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Sonikku has received 5 thanks from: KiBa, Mr357, myshtuff, Raithos, Rakim
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:33 pm

phpBB [video]
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Enrolled in college today. :)

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bambi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:35 pm

Sonikku wrote: Enrolled in college today. :)

What are you studying? I could be wrong but I seem to remember you studied some kind of design or possibly publishing previously.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 pm

Sonikku wrote:Enrolled in college today. :)

Congrats! :)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:45 pm

Bambi wrote:
Sonikku wrote: Enrolled in college today. :)

What are you studying? I could be wrong but I seem to remember you studied some kind of design or possibly publishing previously.

Yes, I went to college for Graphic Design which was the mistake of my life. The jobs have been scarce and the pay has been low. Certainly not enough to enjoy life with on any meaningful level. I really have to laugh at these "Stressed out? Take a year off from work and travel the world!" articles I sometimes see floating about that are so sorely detached from the living situations of so many rural Americans to leave me questioning if we live on the same planet. In any event, my new major is in a field I never saw myself considering when I was young; Registered Nurse. My reasons are several.

-The shortage of them is far worse than I ever imagined to the point of economic opportunity. The shortage of trained medical professionals is such that the grants for this path apparently became so numerous and so large that it will very nearly cover the majority of the whole ticket.

-I'm basically living in poverty. My income would literally triple if not quadruple.

-Job security. No matter how bad the economy worsens or automation renders labor obsolete, those in the medical field will likely be the last ones standing.

-Versatility. After a couple years I could probably move or live anywhere I want with a high probability of steady gainful employment.

-Lastly, the opportunity to help people in a far greater capacity than I ever could with graphic design. The chance to fill a sorely needed role in society suffering from considerable shortages.

To be honest I had been thinking for years in hindsight that I should have gotten into IT. Now though not even that field seems to be sacred looking forward, outsourcing and VISA program abuse has seen Americans in this field increasingly rendered obsolete. Just look at what Disney did to their American employees... Even if I tried though, I could never score a fraction of the grants for it as I could for nursing. The aid that exists for nursing is so great it is is basically the only reason why I can even really consider going back to college in the first place.

And I'm not gonna lie, the prospect of changing some old fat guy's diapers is a prospect not the least bit alluring to me. But, that is sometimes a part of caring for the old and the suffering. And when I look at the advantages, and weigh it against my current situation, I come to the conclusion that it is worthwhile. I need to start doing something with my life.

Sonikku has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, Raithos
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:25 am

Yeah you will get WAY more grants going for nursing than IT. You really can't beat the medical field. Always great to see someone take the first steps to give themselves a life they want :)

Side note: I work in IT (SysAdmin to Info Sec) not a week goes by when I don't get job offers. I do live in Houston so that plays a part, but almost every place in America needs IT staff. From hospitals, the grocery store, to schools, oil company's, you name it. Even small business without staff have to outsource their needs. With the high turn over rate (due to people lying on apps, not evolving and learning, etc) there's never a shortage of jobs. If you master both Windows and Linux your opportunities are endless. Its a competitive field to start in but once you get some experience the ball is in your court. Its one of the easiest consulting businesses to start too.

I think you are making the right choice for sure. The medical field is just about the best thing anyone can get into. You can't beat it. Just throwing out some personal experience.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:36 am

I may very well have gone into IT if I could do it all over at age 17 with no debt to my name. I am a techie and tinkerer at heart. Such as it is though I'm $20k in debt with no way of paying it back with really only one option if I'm serious about returning to college. Even with all the additional grants for going into nursing and even with only doing a 2 year degree at community college it's still going to be awfully tight. Though I do not want to personally, I may even have to move back in with my mother for a couple years if I'm to spare myself dormitory costs. The goal here is definitely to get a valuable skill with minimal debt. I wish I knew then what I know now. But who hasn't said that?

Sonikku has received a thanks from: sand4fish
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby sand4fish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:55 am

It hasn't been that many years ago that I paid off my college debt (and I was paying at an international rate at the time), so I can't imagine myself going back to do it all over again. It must take guts and a lot of will to do so, so kudos to you Sonikku. All the best of luck to your career!

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Sonikku
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:35 am

Ziming wrote: It's still quite a catchy song and the best way to learn all the countries. :D

phpBB [video]

As a kid, I actually bought the cd they put out of Animaniacs songs, and I had that sucker memorized. The one about the states and their capitols too.
God that was a great show. I have yet to find another kids cartoon before or since that's quite so deft in its use of music and lyrics.

OL has received a thanks from: Ziming
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:10 pm

This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen for sale on eBay. Not only that but two people have it on their watch list :-s . This dude had some games for sale so I click to see what else he had listed. I think I'll pass on buying from him lol.

Raithos has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic