What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby KiBa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:00 pm

Calshot wrote:
OL wrote:Kathryn Bigelow probably would have been a fine choice

She is a fine choice if you know what I mean.


I think I'll watch Strange Days (1995).
Now playing... Kitaro~Theme From Silk Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMaupYWRMpE
User avatar
KiBa
Search for Paradise
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: January 2006

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Mr. Frozen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:56 am

No movie, but I've been binge watching watching the Game of Thrones series over the past week. It starts off strong in seasons 1-3, but seasons 4 and 5 are a bit of a bore. I remember thinking "who gives a fuck?" and skipping through quite a bit of season 5. Season 6 is good, but doesn't really pick up till halfway through. S7E1 aired tonight, but I wont be watching it till tomorrow evening, probably.

I never read the books, but from what I read online, the TV series is basically now doing its own thing and is expected to take a complete departure from the books. I think this is excellent because it then means I can read a new story if I decide to read the books.
User avatar
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: September 2003
Location: Earth

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby myshtuff » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Image

Really interesting documentary. I always vaguely knew what the point of the party was but it was interesting to understand a lot of the other aspects of what they did.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." -Joseph Sisko
"I just shit my pants." -Myshtuff, Shenmue 3 Announcement June 15th, 2015

Chronicles of the Enigmatic Podcast
http://www.alexspivak.com/chronicles/
User avatar
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: April 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Persona 5

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 pm

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

Holy mother of 80s Sci-Fi cheese. And 80s Sci-Fi cheese done right. I dont know what possessed me to watch this film, but it did have this certain charm to it. Buckaroo was such a ridiculous character and on top of being a super genius scientist he broke the sound barrier, is the main hero, fights aliens and did all this bad ass shit, THEN hes the lead of a rock band and the President of the United States calls HIM asking what to do? Whoa... WHOA! Not entirely sure what the fuck I just watched, but what ever it was it knew what it wanted to do and just embraced the strange and weird along the way. I dont even know exactly how to rate this film, but there were things I liked in it. Give it a watch if you want something out of the ordinary.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: KiBa
User avatar
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III
 
Joined: April 2003

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Jackie Brown

I guess I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this film, I think it may be Tartantinos most under rated and lesser talked about films. But this thing really is a gem and a nostalgia trip for me, where it takes place, and the time period it happens in just gives me all types of feels, the opening scene in the girls apartment when they are watching the hot chicks with guns VHS, and in that scene a group of friends/associates hanging out in the living room watching TV smoking weed in the late 90s. Then all the scenes in the mall decorated and products from that time period, man it all really hits me right in the feels getting to look back at the way everything used to look.

Then there is a great story to go along with it, these criminals and their associates trying to scheme and out smart the cops once they are sniffing around their operation and Jackie getting caught as the flight stewardess trafficking money and drugs on the plane then cooperating with the police. Plus the cast and characters in this movie leave nothing to be desired with each side of the character groups having at least 1 strong actor. Samuel L Jackson, Robert Deniro being the main thugs, Micheal Keaton on the end of the cops, Chris Tucker as one of the fuck up underlings that had to go, Tommy Lister Jr and Robert Foster as the bondsmen, and then Pam Grier as Jackie who seemingly has her own side the whole movie while at parts she seems on the side of all the rest. Samuel L Jacksons character is flawed and even ends up getting out done by jackie herself who was obviously one bad ass bitch.

I think its also note worthy of how this film pays its respects to the Los Angeles area, it gives shout out and history about a few different places, they mention Roscoes Chicken and Waffles, which is world famous. They give some information about the mall in Torrance being the biggest in door mall in the world (at that time at least), and there are plenty of little easter eggs scattered through out the movie that make you think "This is LA", yet another attractive and respectable aspect of this film.

And then I want to talk about how much I enjoyed the music in this, its filled with a bunch of funky tracks from the 60s and 70s R n B funk artists. Music takes a bigger role in this movie than most might think, it shows Jackie and her record collection and ultimately the bonds man going to the album store and picking up cassettes of artists Jackie introduced him to. The title track "Across 110th Street" which im droping the youtube link to right here.

phpBB [video]


There is just so many things put together in this movie that make it such a strong film and nostalgia trip as some one that grew up in the era. Its so extremely engaging that time passes very quickly in this 2 and a Half hour crime story that keeps you guessing and wondering who is going to come out on top and who isnt. The film is strong in so many areas it makes a delightful watch for this under appreciated drama in Tartantinos filmography. If its been a while, I would definitely go back and give it a watch again, its very well done.
User avatar
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III
 
Joined: April 2003

What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Axm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:45 am

Just saw Batman vs Superman finally. I came in low expectations but in the end damn that was awesome!
Batfleck is good!

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
User avatar
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Fukuoka, Japan

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Axm wrote: Just saw Batman vs Superman finally. I came in low expectations but in the end damn that was awesome!
Batfleck is good!

Too bad he might not be coming back. Word is they're trying to replace him on account of him plumping up.
User avatar
Sonikku
It's Sonikku!
It's Sonikku!
 
Joined: May 2003

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Axm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Sonikku wrote:
Axm wrote: Just saw Batman vs Superman finally. I came in low expectations but in the end damn that was awesome!
Batfleck is good!

Too bad he might not be coming back. Word is they're trying to replace him on account of him plumping up.

Damn common Affleck! He was so freaking ripped. Like genuinely impressed.
User avatar
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Fukuoka, Japan

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Boogie NIghts

I remember it was infamous when I heard about it when I was in middle school, so I gave it a watch. late 70s porn era about an up and coming well endowed stud (a young mark wahlberg lol) and the trial and tribulations of being in the porn industry at that time. Actually turned out to be a much more entertaining movie than I thought, it had some interesting scenes and when they are desperate running the streets and hit rock bottom on coke it starts getting real. I will probably watch it again some time, its worth a watch if you into the premise.
User avatar
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III
 
Joined: April 2003

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby OL » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Axm wrote:
Sonikku wrote:
Axm wrote: Just saw Batman vs Superman finally. I came in low expectations but in the end damn that was awesome!
Batfleck is good!

Too bad he might not be coming back. Word is they're trying to replace him on account of him plumping up.

Damn common Affleck! He was so freaking ripped. Like genuinely impressed.

Ah, don't buy the rumors. Actors like him can get back into ridiculous shape in a scant couple of months (so no way is that a reason for them to try to give him the axe), and there's no way Warner/DC is going to give the boot to one of the few genuinely well-received elements of their film universe for such a lame reason. There have been so many points of criticism, I can't imagine them being dumb enough to axe him because of a little weight. If he's out (and apparently he denied it completely at comicon), it'd likely be his own choice, not theirs.
Image
OL
zzzzzzzzzzzz
Blueman
 
Joined: May 2003

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Axm » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:08 am

OL wrote:
Axm wrote:
Sonikku wrote:
Axm wrote: Just saw Batman vs Superman finally. I came in low expectations but in the end damn that was awesome!
Batfleck is good!

Too bad he might not be coming back. Word is they're trying to replace him on account of him plumping up.

Damn common Affleck! He was so freaking ripped. Like genuinely impressed.

Ah, don't buy the rumors. Actors like him can get back into ridiculous shape in a scant couple of months (so no way is that a reason for them to try to give him the axe), and there's no way Warner/DC is going to give the boot to one of the few genuinely well-received elements of their film universe for such a lame reason. There have been so many points of criticism, I can't imagine them being dumb enough to axe him because of a little weight. If he's out (and apparently he denied it completely at comicon), it'd likely be his own choice, not theirs.

Good cause legitimately after BvS I think he might be even better than Christian Bale. He was gritty and hard hitting. I cant believe I want another series reboot just for his sake.
User avatar
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Fukuoka, Japan

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:53 pm

Batman Sub Zero

Wow was this one done pretty well, it looks like its the last animation from the original Batman TAS collective. It has a decent story about Mr Freeze and alot of good animation and cool sequences. It was on prime so I figure I may as well, now if I can find a way to watch Mask of the Phantasm, pretty sure I saw that one in theaters when I was a kid and I think thats the only time I ever saw it.
User avatar
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III
 
Joined: April 2003

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby sand4fish » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:55 am

I'm not into World War type of movies, but Dunkirk is really something else. It's nerve-racking from beginning to end and apart from the real effective use of sound, it's an amazing shot movie so I do recommend watching it on IMAX if you can.
User avatar
sand4fish
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: November 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby myshtuff » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:16 pm

I just watched Death note on Netflix. I'm literally speechless. I wasn't expecting much going into this, but Jesus Christ this may be one of the worst adaptations and movies period. It was so unbearably bad. Close to nothing was kept from the original manga other than what the deathnote was and honestly they got some parts wrong. There's the obvious whitewashing bs but whatever on that. Light tried to be an edgelord the whole movie which is not the point of his character. Super awkward music scenes. Story didn't make sense alot of the time. This is some mystery science theater material right here. Holy fuck Netflix what happened? Granted I'm a huge fan of the source material, but that aside this is absolute garbage. One saving Grace is Willam Dafoe as Ryuk. He did well surprisingly and it fit his voice.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." -Joseph Sisko
"I just shit my pants." -Myshtuff, Shenmue 3 Announcement June 15th, 2015

Chronicles of the Enigmatic Podcast
http://www.alexspivak.com/chronicles/

myshtuff has received a thanks from: Rakim
User avatar
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: April 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Persona 5

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Coromasta » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:46 pm

myshtuff wrote: I just watched Death note on Netflix. I'm literally speechless. I wasn't expecting much going into this, but Jesus Christ this may be one of the worst adaptations and movies period. It was so unbearably bad. Close to nothing was kept from the original manga other than what the deathnote was and honestly they got some parts wrong. There's the obvious whitewashing bs but whatever on that. Light tried to be an edgelord the whole movie which is not the point of his character. Super awkward music scenes. Story didn't make sense alot of the time. This is some mystery science theater material right here. Holy fuck Netflix what happened? Granted I'm a huge fan of the source material, but that aside this is absolute garbage. One saving Grace is Willam Dafoe as Ryuk. He did well surprisingly and it fit his voice.


I just watched it as wel and yeah they couldn't have fucked up more. At least the ending was sort of death note-ish with the whole reveal of how light did it.
Image
User avatar
Coromasta
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: April 2016
PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Wii U: coromasta
Steam: coromasta
Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net