Automotive Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Automotive Discussion

Postby silent killer » Mon May 27, 2013 11:32 pm

You should consider getting a car that suits where you live. Say in a place where it snows or something, I'd go for something with awd or 4x4. Do you have to drive through shitty traffic everyday? Something like an RSX might not be a bad choice. What's future maintenance like on either car. Are you going to have to order parts from overseas? Can you get them locally?
In any case, if I had the choice I'd go for the WRX. Even if I had to buy premium gas for it.

And now all this was pointless, since the choice has been made for you. ](*,)
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Surge101 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Been going through periods of lurking this forum when shenmue rumors come around for years.
The recent rumor brought me back again, but I figured i'll stick around and post some this time, and look I found an automotive thread! :heart: cars.

To the guy that's been posting above me... IMO opinion the RSX looks way better than the bugeye wrx's (that is what you would be looking at for 2002) However, if you are performance minded, the WRX is by FAR a superior platform.

Here's my car,
2013 Mazdaspeed3

Surge101 has received a thanks from: Axm
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 27, 2013 11:52 pm

It looks so happy. Like something from Pixar. Back of it looks Asian or catlike(que Shenmue II joke).
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Axm » Tue May 28, 2013 12:55 am

Welcome to the dojo Surge and nice Mazda Speed 3! Man I always have such a thing for hatchbacks and wagons. And the speed 3's have always been pretty cool imo. Also I notice you're from florida, what part? Miami perhaps judging by your neighborhood? I used to live there. Go heat!
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Surge101 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:15 am

Axm wrote: Welcome to the dojo Surge and nice Mazda Speed 3! Man I always have such a thing for hatchbacks and wagons. And the speed 3's have always been pretty cool imo. Also I notice you're from florida, what part? Miami perhaps judging by your neighborhood? I used to live there. Go heat!

Thanks! I also have an obsession with hatchbacks. I'm always envious of all the hot hatches over in Europe, and all of the wagons over in Japan that we don't get here in America. Obviously understandable though, since I rarely encounter people that share my same love for wagons/hatches outside of car meets.

and, yeah, I do live in Miami. Go Heat indeed, time to finish off the pacers and get ready for the Spurs.
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Axm » Tue May 28, 2013 1:56 am

Awesome.
Any plans for the car or are you just working on the payments for now? Throw some coilovers or springs on there atleast though! Some cars just deserve to be low.
How are the roads over there though? I forget what it was like sometimes. I used to live in Miami Springs and remember it was decent enough to skateboard on without busting my ass. When I lived there my first car I learned to drive was a '86 BMW E30. Loved that car.. should have never got rid of it.. such a classic body style that will always look good.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Surge101 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:23 am

The roads, at least where I live are pretty good. When I travel to other places I usually note how much worse their roads are.

As for mods, I've actually only had this car for a week, only 240 miles on it thus far, so the engine isn't even close to being broken in yet.

and since I bought it brand new I have a 3 year/36k mile warranty. I'm not sure if i'll wait that long, but I definitely want to have the warranty intact for a bit. But yeah, one of the first things I might do is coils, since the warranty on suspension parts aren't really a big deal, since i'd be completely swapping them anyway.

But once I start modding the engine, my plans would be:
1. SRI
2. Fuel pump internals upgrade
3. Motor mounts upgrade
4. BPV upgrade
5. Accesport (ECU Tuner)
6. Downpipe
7. Stage 2 clutch

and i'll start there... maybe even do a turbo upgrade and front mount intercooler if I really get into it.
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yama » Tue May 28, 2013 11:21 am

Welcome to the board Surge. Nothing like new, enjoy the purchase.

I really miss the Mazda of yesteryear, but the same could be said for just about every Japanese manufacturer at this point. The Speed is definitely a good car, know a handful of people with them and they're all satisfied. It just so happens one of the biggest Mazda meets in the country is around five or so minutes from my house (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f ... -a-134979/), so I checked it out. Lots of clean examples were there, if you're part of the community you may know a few of the cars who attended.

OT: I knew I was missing something around here. This thread was bumped when? Last pics I posted was before I redid the entire look of my car. Will post up some updated ones soon, along with the daily I picked up since then.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue May 28, 2013 12:15 pm

Yama wrote: A DC2 Type R is by far the best FWD Honda, they're great cars.

This is what I was thinking, but wasn't sure how that translated into US/Acura spec (before you explained it)...

They're both great cars. If the S is like the Type R, it is a more "raw" car though, so may be worth considering it whilst you're young and (probably) more prepared for that sort of car that's meant for speed/driving. A WRX is much better as a daily, so will always be suitable at any age. :)

(Yes, I've seen plenty 50+ year olds in Integra Type Rs over here, but y'all know what I mean, some folks prefer softer as they get older (Fnaar!). ;-) )

EDIT: Awesome MPS! Love those cars, a lot of power and torque in something that slips under the radar by not looking outrageous like a lot of other hatches do. Possible future purchase for me, though they are incredibly expensive to tax here now...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Surge101 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:18 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:
Yama wrote: A DC2 Type R is by far the best FWD Honda, they're great cars.

This is what I was thinking, but wasn't sure how that translated into US/Acura spec (before you explained it)...

They're both great cars. If the S is like the Type R, it is a more "raw" car though, so may be worth considering it whilst you're young and (probably) more prepared for that sort of car that's meant for speed/driving. A WRX is much better as a daily, so will always be suitable at any age. :)

(Yes, I've seen plenty 50+ year olds in Integra Type Rs over here, but y'all know what I mean, some folks prefer softer as they get older (Fnaar!). ;-) )

EDIT: Awesome MPS! Love those cars, a lot of power and torque in something that slips under the radar by not looking outrageous like a lot of other hatches do. Possible future purchase for me, though they are incredibly expensive to tax here now...

Thanks man! I really am jealous of all the different hatches you guys have over there.
Yama wrote: Welcome to the board Surge. Nothing like new, enjoy the purchase.

I really miss the Mazda of yesteryear, but the same could be said for just about every Japanese manufacturer at this point. The Speed is definitely a good car, know a handful of people with them and they're all satisfied. It just so happens one of the biggest Mazda meets in the country is around five or so minutes from my house (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f ... -a-134979/), so I checked it out. Lots of clean examples were there, if you're part of the community you may know a few of the cars who attended.

OT: I knew I was missing something around here. This thread was bumped when? Last pics I posted was before I redid the entire look of my car. Will post up some updated ones soon, along with the daily I picked up since then.

Thanks! Yes, I will forever be stuck in a phase of loving late 80s-late 90s Japanese cars. I think Mazda is doing it right though. I really love my Speed3, they did really good with that car. I'm waiting for them to release the next installment of the rotary, which is being rumored to be everything we want. With the success of the Mazdaspeed platforms and a return of a true rotary performance platform. Mazda will have that edge again.

I'm also seeing some changes by Subaru. I like that Subaru is separating the WRX/STi from the Impreza. They have really lost that iconic feel of those cars by essentially trying to appeal to a corolla/camry market with the impreza's styling. They really can build that platform from the ground up in terms of performing as well as aesthetics with the WRX platform being separate. The BRZ/FRS platform is also a great RWD platform.

Speaking of the FRS, my friend has one, it's a blast to drive. When the aftermarket grows for those cars, they're going to be a cool thing to see. Like to see Toyota stepping back up into the game. I'd still like to see them step in with something Supra-ish, Is300-ish, how about MR2-ish?

Unfortunately, If you haven't heard we are losing Mitsubishi, as next year they will be all electric vehicles. They still say there will be an EVO XI, but it won't be the same as we know it.

Honda really needs to do something. The Si's are just getting more and more bland IMO. Not to mention I have a personal vendetta against the interiors, like I said, 90s Japanese is what I love, so all the digital stuff kind of irks me. They don't have the S2k anymore, and the CRZ isn't a true performance platform.

Yah, I love JDM.

EDIT: and yes please everyone more pictures of your cars! Can't get enough of seeing other people's rides and knowing what kind of work they're doing to them.
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:32 pm

If I could buy a new car right now, within a some what considerable price range, I would want to get a BRZ, in the subaru blue.

I also would love a s2000 if I could get one, but they are sadly way out of my price range, even now, I just a want a 2004 model when they threw in the better engines... maybe i'll search for those now and see if I can find any deals.

That WRX still seems like its the cream of the crop from what i have seen so far.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Surge101 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:58 pm

BRZ is a great car man. Loved driving my friend's FRS, and test drove a BRZ before buying my Mazdaspeed3. True driver's car in the BRZ/FRS. The S2k's still go for 10-12k around me, which I think is a bit much given the age of the cars now.

WRX is a different type of car from your BRZ/FRS/S2K altogether, just depends on what you are looking for.
You're talking about AWD Turbo vs light RWD cars. Two different driving experiences.
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yama » Tue May 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Surge101 wrote:AWD Turbo vs light RWD cars. Two different driving experiences.

Couldn't agree more, which is why I settled for both. :mrgreen:
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Surge101 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Pictures!!
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby LawXiu » Tue May 28, 2013 3:23 pm

My current car.

E36 318is, 1.9 16 valve. Got it for £390 off ebay. Had it for nearly a year now and it's close to death. Needs bushes on the back and needs an O2 sensor. Badly needs a service, oil is the worst I've ever seen. Exhaust rattles as well.

Just can't be bothered to fix it and it's got loads of MOT left so I'll probably just run it into the floor.

Fancy a Type R next, Civic or Integra I don't mind.

This is my mates track car. He's never won anything but love seeing it go round the track.

It's a Ford Anglia shell. The engine is a Ford 2.0 cross flow with a single carb. Went on the rolling road and returned 160bhp. Not an amazing figure but all the cars on the track run around the same power.

LawXiu has received a thanks from: Axm
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic